Howdy from South NJ, track newbie to motorcycles; Thruxton RS

Laszlo

Hello all!
Just introductions and look forward to meeting some of you. I live about 45 minutes from NJMP, got back into motorcycling at the start of the pandemic (after about 20 year break, during which time I mostly did autocross in a '90 Miata). Took a Yamaha School of Champions two-day course in September (truly torrential rain, so was good for that aspect of control), and taking one in April and then hoping to do N2 at NCBike.

Thoughts on doing two days of track days after two days of Yamaha School? Too much? I'm in decent shape.
Thanks and see you around!

Backmarker

Control Rider
Welcome back to motorcycles. Sounds as if your coming back the best way with doing the YCRS schools.

I would ride everyday if I could. Four days in a row is on many people's bucket list. I'd say go for it and enjoy.

Laszlo

Howdy!
I'll be at this YCRS event as well. Several other friends joined too, so it'll be a ton of fun. Hope we don't get rain like what you had first time around. :)

I will probably also try to ride the 2 extra days after the class as well too.
Sounds like fun; when registration opens I’m leaning towards two days as well . . . Will depend on work for Monday.

Rain was bad but was a good learning experience; I did on the Africa Twin which was kinda a hoot to do it on.

Maximize the two days with YCRS. Stay on the hustle, drink water, take lots of notes, attack every drill.

During the following N2 track days, you can always sit out a session and take a nap. More experienced riders aren’t afraid to take a breather in favor of getting a cleaner session. Take an early lunch or sit out the session after lunch are techniques that work for me (let’s the food digest).

Four days is great and allows you to unlock the tougher corners.

Don’t forget to take notes even after YCRS.

Spend time with the Control Riders. Follow them and get them to follow you. Most Control Riders get a kick out of a rider that‘s eager to listen and learn. Seeing the light bulb go on and seeing the rider become more efficient (faster because of a cleaner line, quicker eyes and smoother inputs) is one of the things that motivated them to become a CR.

Laszlo

Thanks @NothingClever ; spot on and helpful feedback (I used to fence, and coach fencing, and across camps or competitions that would go on multiple days I would give similar advice re listening, taking notes, being mindful, resting when possible, hydrating, etc.), so was helpful to hear it since I lost track of some of this when looking at myself! I take a lot of notes and welcome feedback so this too is helpful to hear. Sounds like a good environment to be in to learn and have fun and deepen skills. If I can do those three, I’m a happy dude. Be well!

Laszlo

Share some details! What tires?
stock mostly street, metzeler tourance I think. Crap in rain, ok on road, not off-road even in light sand. on track in the wet, it was a great experience. I put it on urban mode which is intermediate power, HTSC, and abs on. had some moments after apex of almost sliding, but caught it. got on throttle too soon, so that was good practice; was also good buidling awareness for body position to keep the bike upright more. DCT was just fine; I really like the DCT actually, even for off-road which for me is fire-roads and slight sandy and muddy and rocky stuff. At 550# it's not an enduro bike and I want to pick it up as few times as possible.

Laszlo

Street tires today are quite remarkable, even the Sport Touring ones.
I agree, on cars as well; I just wasn't a fan in terms of feedback on traction limits. On the Africa Twin I now have Motoz Tractionator GPS on the rear and Dunlop Trailmax Mission on front; great on and off-road. Thruxton has the OE Metzeler Racetec RRs and those are great for where I am...just trying to keep them above freezing in the shed.

Laszlo

Follow-up Q re tech inspection: I have small side bags, and will of course remove them, but they are secured by a frame that is then securely attached to the bike (seen here: https://sw-motech.us/en/products/lu...VCEGKGV32ExeNNMBvE9bxkW4HUW-m3kQaAqDAEALw_wcB). I suspect, but want to confirm as much as I can, that these will be OK to remain on? I took my Africa Twin a track day, and that bike also has luggage attachment bars and those were permitted to stay on (helps as a crash bar of sorts). Thoughts?

I’m not a CR so it’s best to defer final judgment to them but I think you’ll be fine as long as they’re securely mounted (and I’m sure they are).

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Agree with the advice already given for riding 4 consecutive days! Go for it!
See you at NJMP at some point this upcoming season!

Laszlo

Signed up and looking forward to it! Signed up for the below as well and look forward to meeting some folks there. I’ve done 2 other track days before this, and I assume I can check at the time if Novice is spot on for me or not?

04/29/2023 NCBIKE (Novice)

04/30/2023 NCBIKE (Novice)

05/15/2023 NJMP - Thunderbolt (Novice)

07/03/2023 NJMP - Thunderbolt (Novice)

10/22/2023 NCBIKE (Novice)