Keyless Ignition for 09 ZX6R

dc21811

i HAVE A 2009 ZX6R that I am going to turn into a track/race bike. I need help with removing the stock ignition switch and the switch housings on the bars. Can I use the stock run/stop switch and starter button on the right bar? Or do I need to get something else? I want to use the stock tach. Thanks.

Matt

Check your wiring diagram. There may be a resistor in the ignition assembly (similar to a suzuki) that you will have to wire up to make this work.

It's a little convoluted but it should be possible. You usually have to cut the power coming into the switch, re-route the ignition circuit, then from the switch you would use the original wire and the ignition wire. If a resistor is required you would also have to put that in line and connect up the wire from the ignition switch that it needs to go do.

Your wiring diagram is the best resource for figuring this out. This type of thing isn't something you'll often find on the internet because of the chance it could be used for bike theft purposes.

If you can find your wiring diagram, post it up and I'm guessing someone here can figure out which wires you should do what with.. but in the end it's up to you to understand what you're doing because you're the one cutting up your bikes wiring harness to get it to work this way.

Meat

On my 2005 ZX-6R, the 100 ohm resistor went to the ECU, the rest of the wires were full 12V power. I think most modern sportbike ignition systems are that way.

I use my kill switch (on the right clip-on) as my power switch as well. Unfortunately, I started to document how to do the keyless ignition, but never got around to finishing it.

I also took my stock gas cap apart and made it keyless as well. I much prefer the stock cas cap to the Vortex, but that is just me.

Matt

I prefer having a second switch on the left handlebar to replace ignition. sometimes I want the bike on but I don't want the fuel pump to prime.

Meat

Joe Vital;158813 wrote: Keyless gas cap??
Meat can you tell me how this works?
I took the lock mechanism, in the gas cap, apart. I took out all the pins for the key and put it back together.

So, I can use a screwdriver, or anything that will fit in the slot where the key goes. I like the clean look of the flap that goes over the key hole in the gas cap. Otherwise I would rig up some sort of permanent turning device.

I just like the look of the stock gas cap, it vents well, and is easy to open and close.

Matt

Meat;158838 wrote: f the stock gas cap, it vents well, and is easy to open and close.
i usually just drill another small hole in the bottom part of the vortex cap set. vents just fine that way!