KTM RC390

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I have be seeing a lot of reviews about these lately. It will be coming to the US in 2015. They have a race version being used in Europe now in it's own series. Looks like it would be an absolute BLAST on some of the smaller tracks! Early estimates were saying that KTM was going to price it around low to mid $6K range but now I am seeing that they may try to price it in the mid-$5K range to compete with the CBR/Ninja 300. That's cheap for something that would be a lot of fun!!

image.jpg

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I might have to get one. Passing Kas is getting too easy. :D sorry had to do it.

Seriously though looks like it could be a lot of fun

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Nice!!

The UK version has a lot of factory race options as well. If they price it competitively and offer these options here in the states it would be hard to pass up.

No, you just have to learn to stuff your fat ass onto it Jimmy!
:D

I have been eyeing the 390 for a bit now. Although parts are still pretty plentiful for the TZ125 and its Honda counter part (RS125) I may move away from riding a 2T down the road. Time will tell on that.

My only bitch is the KTM frame is not a full on race frame. But when its made for street riding too, I can't have it all.

BZ

Shinobi

I am considering this bike as well. Pulled the following article offline via moto-usa. When the time comes I will also check whats out there for built lightweights on wera, N2 forums .... etc. I am holding myself to beginning racing in this class.

Powering the RC390 is a 375cc Single with a claimed output of 44 horsepower at 9500 rpm. A four-valve head features dual overhead camshafts actuating aluminum finger followers. An 89mm forged piston moves through a stroke of 60mm in a Nikasil-coated cylinder. The entire powerplant tips the scales at just 79 pounds, helping the RC390 achieve the best power-to-weight ratio in the class. At 324 pounds overall, the RC390 is at the very limit of Europe’s A2 license power-to-weight ratio and just short of maximum horsepower limits. While A2 requirements don’t mean a thing here in the U.S., American riders do reap the benefits of KTM pushing the limits in the category.

The RC390’s trellis frame is similar to that of the 390 Duke, but it has a different subframe and an 1.5-degree steeper steering-head angle at 66.5 degrees. The trail (88mm) and wheelbase (1340mm) of the RC390 are shorter than Duke’s as well. All this gives the RC390 more ground clearance for higher lean angles along with quicker handling in the curves.
The 43mm WP upside-down fork upfront is the same size as those found on KTM’s RC8 Superbike, although it is not adjustable. In the rear, the linkage-less trellis swingarm is damped by a WP monoshock that features only preload adjustability. Weight distribution front-to-rear with a 165 pound rider is 49/51%.

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

Shinobi

Agreed Andy
45c7438810cdccd07fe32d596b662834.jpg

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

03bueller

Control Rider
If I didn't weigh 220 right now, with my lowest realistic weight being 180ish, I would probably seriously consider it. You know what would be cool, an RC 390 series where the weight of the competitor was also taken into account xD Think boxing weight classes :p

Shinobi

Interestingly over here at the CVMA's they are having a grand debate as to wether another class should be made for the 390 & R3. Argument being the 250cc riders of the Lightweight Class are too underpowered to contend. Not that a fast rider on a 250 could not do the job.

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

If you mean a Ninja 250 Shin I would say of stats alone that Ninjette won't do well against the 390. Just on design, weight and rear wheel HP the Ninja is lacking. If you talk with anyone who runs a Ninja 250 for racing they have all told me they are "fun" to run but are not a 'race bike'. The KTM on design alone is made more for the track in mind and that is more important than riders probably realize until they run one. That's the main reason the Ninja 250 series never took off...its a street bike first and a race bike second. You can only be so competitive on that kind of design even if you are talented as hell.

On the slim chance the debate is talking about the left over TZ and RS 250's out their against the 390, well that's not even a debate. The RS/TZ would beat the hell out of the 390's LOL!

BZ

Shinobi

Interesting...,.,, I've noted a mix of ninja250's, 300 & CBR 300's out there. Yep all eyes on the KTM,,,,,,,I've already asked Lenny for a 390 for Christmas....wink wink hahahaha

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

Last edited:
Well let me know how that goes with Lenny LOL!

If me and my buddy John can ever get back out on the track I am interested to see what we can do on our 125's vs. a 390 rider. Hopefully its a new 390 owner, who just got bumped to I-group so we can slowly warm up ourselves ;).

BZ

Now you got me worked up Shinobi! Just looked up the top speed of the 390...105 mph! Ohhh this could be fun. The TZ can do 110 mph and John's RSR can do 115-120.

BZ

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
In race form I think the 390 sheds close to 20lbs. The European class restricts their bikes but in the US you could probably squeeze a couple more horses out of the motor with a good pipe and ECU upgrade.

Shinobi

yes definitely room for shedding weight and adding performance but regardless of this.....whoever owns that bike is going to be the prettiest belle of the ball in the lightweight class ......... and that's what really counts right??? LOL hahaha : )

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

Shinobi

Yes...there are soooo many tracks I haven't done back east. CCS '16 is my tentative goal : )

Kawasaki ZX6 - 2007

Mechanics-Technique
Bravery-Restraint

Hey Bubba,
I am willing to sign back into I, therefore a new I rider, and ride the RC390 with you and your 2 smoker. You coming back?

In some form or fashion I hope to get out next year. It probably will not be much but going to try :cool:. John and I have been talking about what we would like to do so I'll post up in any roll call. John may be a better match as he rode his 125 in A for quite some time. I just got into I so I don't know how good I would be against you. I have almost the same HP as the 390 and much less weight (TZ weighs 179 lbs wet), but John 125's has much more HP and much less weight. His Aprilia is 155 lbs and can be 50 HP at the wheel...he just needs to put it back together the right way LOL! :p

BZ