Lap timer and data apps

bmart

Control Rider
I've been using the free app Race Chrono for years. It is a pretty basic app...and I'm cheap. It is also free.

A friend recently mentioned Track Addict and Dragy. Have any of you guys used these? Are they GPS based or are they linked to tech on the bikes?

I want to be able to track my rate of slowing... :whistle:

No charge meme:

1675354932998.png

MK3Brent

Treebeard
I had the Track Addict app, and I could never get it to work properly... Plus, the idea of stashing my phone somewhere on the bike was also a pain. (It was GPS based on the phone's tech.)

Once I went AiM Solo, I've been 100% happy.
I can even log CANbus data from the OBDII port on my S1000 if I wanted to, which is nice.
The software to analyze your data is a bit tricky, but worth getting familiar with. Under the GPS/Map section, you can overlay laps and actually see the difference in line you take and what the result of doing so was.

Example:
1668207714979-png.173162

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks, Brent. My bike has no....ports to plug into, so GPS based would work. I just use a spare phone and tuck it into my suit. Has worked for many years. I may give this a try. Thanks!

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I use an old phone with RaceChrono and a 10Hz GPS receiver hooked to the phone via Bluetooth, I also have an Analogue to Digital converter that logs various sensor signals and sends them to RaceChrono. So you can overlay lots of info on a map, and you can overlay it on video. I paid for both the analysis packs and the data pack. I have interacted with the Dev for RaceRchono, and he was always super responsive fixing a few bugs I found. So i didn't feel bad paying 10$ for the upgrades, and I use it a TON.

I mount the phone securely in holder on the top of the triple tree, so I can see that I am going slow every lap... :'(

The 10Hz gps receiver is what makes RaceChrono work better than the others.

Here is some example of measuring my slowpoke-ness:

Now does all of this data help me go faster.....meh.....or I don't know how to use it. I would love a course on how to look at the data, and use it to learn to go quicker.

tad158

I had the Track Addict app, and I could never get it to work properly... Plus, the idea of stashing my phone somewhere on the bike was also a pain. (It was GPS based on the phone's tech.)

I can even log CANbus data from the OBDII port on my S1000 if I wanted to, which is nice.
The software to analyze your data is a bit tricky, but worth getting familiar with. Under the GPS/Map section, you can overlay laps and actually see the difference in line you take and what the result of doing so was.

Example:
1668207714979-png.173162
This difference between those is likely the 2-6m standard GPS error. The GPS receiver is leaned over with you on the bike, so you likely lost some viability to a few GPS satellites causing higher error in that spot.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
I use an old phone with RaceChrono and a 10Hz GPS receiver hooked to the phone via Bluetooth, I also have an Analogue to Digital converter that logs various sensor signals and sends them to RaceChrono. So you can overlay lots of info on a map, and you can overlay it on video. I paid for both the analysis packs and the data pack. I have interacted with the Dev for RaceRchono, and he was always super responsive fixing a few bugs I found. So i didn't feel bad paying 10$ for the upgrades, and I use it a TON.

I mount the phone securely in holder on the top of the triple tree, so I can see that I am going slow every lap... :'(

Now does all of this data help me go faster.....meh.....or I don't know how to use it. I would love a course on how to look at the data, and use it to learn to go quicker.

Is the video telemetry based on your gps receiver-enabled, RaceChrono app? If so, this is better than I expected. For video, are you using GoPro or your phone (and then overlaying the telemetry data onto the video)? I'm curious about the sensors too. Were they specific aftermarket add-ons? Or did you hook into your ECU?

Nice work.

tad158

Go-pro for video (though that particular video was shot with a liquid image ego). The RaceDAC is wired into all the senor outputs and I calibrated all the 0-5v signals to the relevant units. I use dashware to do the overlay and the custom layout.

g_debell757

Examp

Example:
1668207714979-png.173162
Does the AIM SOLO give you the track layout or do you have to use another gps device? I'm not familiar with the aim solo and its pretty pricey. Thanks in advance.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Does the AIM SOLO give you the track layout or do you have to use another gps device? I'm not familiar with the aim solo and its pretty pricey. Thanks in advance.
I have a first generation Solo2 DL.
Using Race Studio (their analysis software), there is a tab called "GPS" and it will have the path of any track you record on.
The version I have doesn't have things like boundaries of the track to see specifically where in the line position you are, but it's relative to previous paths taken to a tolerance.
The GPS signal position accuracy is around 1.5-2M based on what internet searching I could find.

When you boot the device at the track, it typically knows which track you're on and you can select it.
I've had better luck just creating a custom track by telling it where the start/finish line was manually.

Here is an example of the software layout. It's... not the most intuitive.

Hope this helps.

2-png.173161

What GPS receiver are you using?

g_debell757

What converter do you use and where can i get more info about it ?

tad158

This is a nicer one than I have, as it also uses glonas for better accuracy.

Garmin GLO 2 GPS and GLONASS Receiver for Precise Position Information on Mobile Devices, Black https://a.co/d/imN2c61

The ADC is called RaceDAC. It is not for the faint of heart. It took a ton of work and know how to get it setup.

This is a nicer one than I have, as it also uses glonas for better accuracy.

Garmin GLO 2 GPS and GLONASS Receiver for Precise Position Information on Mobile Devices, Black https://a.co/d/imN2c61

The ADC is called RaceDAC. It is not for the faint of heart. It took a ton of work and know how to get it setup.

Thanks. RaceDAC looks like way more than I need but very cool. I just want to capture my lap times. I've only done one track day and while I loved it, I didn't have a way to quantify my progress. Sounds like that $94 Garmin receiver combined with RaceChrono will do that. Would be nice if it works with TrackAddict too so it's like a cheaper Draggy

g_debell757

Thanks. RaceDAC looks like way more than I need but very cool. I just want to capture my lap times. I've only done one track day and while I loved it, I didn't have a way to quantify my progress. Sounds like that $94 Garmin receiver combined with RaceChrono will do that. Would be nice if it works with TrackAddict too so it's like a cheaper Draggy
I have Race Box Mini which is draggy's competition. The current race box mini needs a phone connection. However the new mini-s will not need a phone connection. The downfall to not having a phone is you won't see it live. But it will have accel/deccel, lean angle, g-force and has a ton of pre-programmed tracks.