Late fee what?!

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
It's an early registration discount to reward those that plan 16+ days in advance. If the weather concerns you, the elite membership allows you to cancel and be credited up to 8am the morning of the track day and you get what you paid back in credits as long as you havent gone through registration.

Guidout

Got it, but I still don't understand what the reward is for?
You reward somebody that does something for you, right? What does early registration do for you?
I assume you rent facilities at the beginning of the season and it's not that N2 will cancel an event with low attendance.
The reason I started this conversation is that it feels more like a penalty for "late" registration more than reward for early ones.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I always find this topic kind of humorous since a play of words can have such a drastic outlook difference for some people.

Is it a late fee? Or early registration discount?

In the end, what different does it make? The prices are what they are. This is a widely used business model across almost every type of business venue in existence. Putting on a concert or track day requires money up front. The more money the business can get upfront, the easier it is to determine interest in the venue.

Why do you have to pay extra for expedited shipping? It doesn't cost the shipper any more $ to ship your package. It travels the same, right?

There is not a track organization out there that makes a surplus of money. Some weekends result in good money - some weekends, the org loses their ass, due to bad weather or low turn out. They need to keep a 'floating fund' to help cover those rainy days (pun intended) to avoid going belly up.

You're correct, N2 will not cancel any event due to low attendance. Typically it will be the track itself that cancels the day if it's due to an over abundance of lightening, hurricane warning, etc. Getting upfront $ in the pockets help build that initial kiddie of money to make ends meet that much easier. There's a reason N2 always offers awesome off season track day packages - some of those packages resulting in a track day being as cheap as $100 a day (!!!!!)

There's not a org out there that's buying yachts from the income gained from their track days. It's no secret that for the most part, every org out there is in the same exact ballpark cost wise. Each org brings something unique to the table, but at the end of the day, track rental costs are MEGA $$$.

Like Tim said, you have 2 options.

1) Get the Elite membership. If you do more than 3-4 TD's a year, it's worth it. Note - you can still miss out on a track day if it gets sold out before you go to register!

2) Register 16 days prior to the event...and get the early registration discount. Or should I say....avoid paying a late fee?

Last edited by a moderator:

Guidout

I always find this topic kind of humorous since a play of words can have such a drastic outlook difference for some people.

Is it a late fee? Or early registration discount?
The website says "Fees".

In the end, what different does it make? The prices are what they are. This is a widely used business model across almost every type of business venue in existence. Putting on a concert or track day requires money up front. The more money the business can get upfront, the easier it is to determine interest in the venue.
It's $30 difference.

Why do you have to pay extra for expedited shipping? It doesn't cost the shipper any more $ to ship your package. It travels the same, right?
Expedite shipping is an additional service and it's your choice to pay for it or not.

There is not a track organization out there that makes a surplus of money. Some weekends result in good money - some weekends, the org loses their ass, due to bad weather or low turn out. They need to keep a 'floating fund' to help cover those rainy days (pun intended) to avoid going belly up.
I agree and I'm thankful for N2 and all other organizations that allow us to get track time.

You're correct, N2 will not cancel any event due to low attendance. Typically it will be the track itself that cancels the day if it's due to an over abundance of lightening, hurricane warning, etc. Getting upfront $ in the pockets help build that initial kiddie of money to make ends meet that much easier. There's a reason N2 always offers awesome off season track day packages - some of those packages resulting in a track day being as cheap as $100 a day (!!!!!)
Dang, I must have missed those deals...and I looked really hard. I always do that, in the off season, since I know that I will always do a lot of track days.

There's not a org out there that's buying yachts from the income gained from their track days. It's no secret that for the most part, every org out there is in the same exact ballpark cost wise. Each org brings something unique to the table, but at the end of the day, track rental costs are MEGA $$$.

Like Tim said, you have 2 options.

1) Get the Elite membership. If you do more than 3-4 TD's a year, it's worth it. Note - you can still miss out on a track day if it gets sold out before you go to register!

2) Register 16 days prior to the event...and get the early registration discount. Or should I say....avoid paying a late fee?
I'll definitely consider getting the membership, but thanks for stating the obvious.

I always get frustrated when I get charged for extra fees especially when there is really no apparent reason for it. I think baking it in the price will make a lot of customers feel better. Just wanted to have a constructive conversation.

All this being said, this is not an attack to N2, I like this organization and I'm sure I'll ride with you for many years to come and I'm thankful there are orgs willing to go through the effort of organizing these events.

See you soon on the track!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
The website says "Fees".

Again, what difference does it make? Does that $30 spend any less in your wallet if it said "A $30 early discount will be applied if registered 16 days out?

I'll definitely consider getting the membership, but thanks for stating the obvious.

If any rider plans to do more than 3-4 days a year, I don't know why it's not the first thing to purchase.

$30 "fee" (discount? :) ) x 4 days = $120. Almost half of an elite membership right off the bat. Rainy day? Cancel it and keep the credit. Membership literally pays for itself...

I always get frustrated when I get charged for extra fees especially when there is really no apparent reason for it. I think baking it in the price will make a lot of customers feel better. Just wanted to have a constructive conversation.

Is it more fair to offer a lower price to a larger audience that plans for their TD's in advance, or cater to the late sign-uppers and thus charge everyone else more?

See you soon on the track!

For sure! Sign up early. ;)

tdelegram

Control Rider
Check the forum and Facebook on Black Friday, the packages are usually open then but like the good tracks sell out early. 12 day pack has been my favorite by virtue of doing 12 days you get a feee elite membership the next year.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Check the forum and Facebook on Black Friday, the packages are usually open then but like the good tracks sell out early. 12 day pack has been my favorite by virtue of doing 12 days you get a feee elite membership the next year.

Just don't make us do forensic credit analysis again. :)

mpusch

Micah
Think of it this way. If there was no financial incentive for early registration, most people would weather watch and only sign up a few days before the event, or if it was rainy only a few people would show up. Then the org is left with paying full price for a track rental and hardly anyone showed up.

For any org to survive with this model, they would have to charge more for entries to make up for the significant losses they take on rainy weekends.

N2 alleviates this situation by incentivizing people to sign up before the weather watching could come into play, or allow you to pay for the benefit to control it right until the day of. This keeps prices stable and allows people to select the level of control they want.

mpusch

Micah
Expedite shipping is an additional service and it's your choice to pay for it or not.

Basically the same thing. It's a service to be able to register late.

If you were willing to pay extra for expedited shipping to receive a package tomorrow, you could have just ordered it last week, opted for standard shipping, and received it this Friday too. You're paying extra to be able to execute the order late.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Here's my take on dealing with this issue....I separate businesses I deal with into two types. There's the big, impersonal places like Amazon, Lowes and dare I say the US government. They get no slack from me as they couldn't care less about me or my business. Then there's the local places like my MC shop, the small garage mechanic and N2. They go out of their way to get and keep my business by providing personal service. I'm not about to quibble over some small issue. Their lot in life is hard enough and I don't want to ruin a good thing.
I think you asked a fair question and received a fair answer.

Bellboy

If you think the policy is difficult or expensive to register late try some of the other orgs. Mid Ohio PTR charges the late fee and only holds trackdays on Monday and they have to get 40 people to register by noon on the Friday prior or they cancel due to not covering track costs. Forecast can look good on Friday then flip to the crap over the weekend but you’ve paid and the track is sketchy in cool or wet conditions. They have to incentivize people to register early to ensure they cover track costs. It’s part of doing what we love…I personally love N2 and the elite option due to the flexibility.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guidout

Here's my take on dealing with this issue....I separate businesses I deal with into two types. There's the big, impersonal places like Amazon, Lowes and dare I say the US government. They get no slack from me as they couldn't care less about me or my business. Then there's the local places like my MC shop, the small garage mechanic and N2. They go out of their way to get and keep my business by providing personal service. I'm not about to quibble over some small issue. Their lot in life is hard enough and I don't want to ruin a good thing.
I think you asked a fair question and received a fair answer.

I subscribe to every single word you said.
I'm not arguing the dollar amount, just the concept. I'd pay more without blinking for a second to keep this alive, like I said, I'm really thankful.
And...YES! I asked a fair question and got fair answers AND a civil conversation. This is gold in todays environment!
Love it :)

chrisplm

Chris
This is gold in todays environment!
Your not kidding.. Its fair to say that this forum may not have anywhere near the volume of threads and posts as some other other moto oriented internet places do, but the communication is always worthwhile and to the point.
Of course we have some ball busting here and there (I would expect no less from a track day focused group!) but I love that there isn't the constant trolling and blasting that fills up most other sites... (I'm looking at you facebook trackday groups!)

tdelegram

Control Rider
Your not kidding.. Its fair to say that this forum may not have anywhere near the volume of threads and posts as some other other moto oriented internet places do, but the communication is always worthwhile and to the point.
Of course we have some ball busting here and there (I would expect no less from a track day focused group!) but I love that there isn't the constant trolling and blasting that fills up most other sites... (I'm looking at you facebook trackday groups!)
Due time Chris, due time.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider

I dont go to facebook trackday groups for actual information. I go there for entertainment.