LF someone who can weld 848 rear set mounts

jasonhillva

Hey all, I’m looking for someone who can weld the foot peg “ears” back onto the Ducati 848 frame. I have one that is cracked clean through and one that has a small crack. Anyone know someone who can and has done it?

tdelegram

Control Rider
I would recommend a local professional welder do it, there’s too much at stake if that weld fails while riding aggressively

chrisplm

Chris
This was a really common problem on that gen bike. I recall some companies making little reinforcement tabs to well behind the bracket to add some strength. They were just some small pieces of sheet metal, something anyone could make with a little bit of sheet stock.

These were nice too..

It happened to my 600...i got some local names and one guy grabbed my attention. He did it. He did it well. The bike is same as before except the mount now requires a nut behind it. Other than that all is well. Are you in central NJ ?

CBR-Los

I’m located in NC. I’ve worked as a welder ever since getting out of the military. That was in 2003! I can TIG, stick,MIG and Oxy fuel weld. I currently have an AC/DC TIG/stick set up in my garage. It’s capable of handling up to 1/2” steel or 1/4 aluminum. I’m not familiar with the repair you require, however, I’m willing to do it for free. You just pay shipping costs to and from my garage! PM me and we can talk about it if you’re interested.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I saw your bike at Summit. The frame is Cr-Mo tubing where the tabs are (were) welded on. These tubes are pretty thin so the repair welds will have to be carefully made so as to not deform the tubing. I think the only technique that I would use would be TIG. The existing weld will have to be carefully removed and prepped for the reattachment. Use the rearset as a jig to properly locate the new tabs prior to tacking them in place. A full penetration weld will be essential and I would use a proper inspection technique to assure a quality product prior to repainting. All of this should be second nature to the repair welder you choose, if not, look else where. As I was typing this and thinking about how I would do this job I think I would actually disassemble the bike to gain access to both sides of the weld...again the experts would have to advise on this.

CBR-Los

I second the above response!
Having access to both sides is essential!
From the research I’ve done and what I believe is wrong with the frame/rear set area, I would TIG weld this repair.
Any competent weld shop should be about to take care of that repair.