Looking for a good generator to start with

akosi

I know the honda gen. is the better choice but I'm just starting out with the track days so I am hoping to keep start up costs lower. I know absolutely nothing about them but Ill be wanting to run tire warmers on it and maybe a few other small things. What size do most people require?

Thanks!

finny47

Get the Honda or Yamaha It is soooo annoying in the pits with loud gennys. I would not do less then a 2000

Spork

I have 2 Honda eu2000's I carry with me .
1 2000 will run everything I have ( not all at once) except the AC and the Air compressor ,for those i have to link both Eu2000's togther .
If you get a cheep 1 ,don't plug any electronics into it , unless you plan on replacing them anyways , like was said above don't pit close to anyone cause it is annoying .
Most Tracks have electric so I rarely use my generators .

lallaram

Get the Honda or Yamaha It is soooo annoying in the pits with loud gennys. I would not do less then a 2000

Domiken

If you want to save some bucks, Hyundai makes one comparable to the Honda for half the price. I plan on getting a Honda at some point myself due to the size and how quiet it is.

Myers

Control Rider
This subject has been had time and time again... HOWEVER... there are some new players on the market. I picked up a RYOBI at Home Depot... for around 420 bucks... and Ill be bushwacked!!!! quiet as the honda EUI2000 - comparable amperage... I run my warmers and sometimes even plug my hauler in to run lights etc... NOT AC... but just enough.. amazing little G-UNIT for the price!

9mmkungfu

Ballpeen;283591 wrote: This subject has been had time and time again... HOWEVER... there are some new players on the market. I picked up a RYOBI at Home Depot... for around 420 bucks... and Ill be bushwacked!!!! quiet as the honda EUI2000 - comparable amperage... I run my warmers and sometimes even plug my hauler in to run lights etc... NOT AC... but just enough.. amazing little G-UNIT for the price!
I was wondering about the Ryobi unit at Home Depot. Also, for those that do not know - active duty and retired military can get 10% off at Home Depot.

Domiken

Ballpeen;283591 wrote: This subject has been had time and time again... HOWEVER... there are some new players on the market. I picked up a RYOBI at Home Depot... for around 420 bucks... and Ill be bushwacked!!!! quiet as the honda EUI2000 - comparable amperage... I run my warmers and sometimes even plug my hauler in to run lights etc... NOT AC... but just enough.. amazing little G-UNIT for the price!
Great to know. After careful research ill probably go with the Yamaha EFS2000 over the Honda, but it's good to know about the Ryobi, it is half the price and for the use (occasional track days etc...) I would rather save a couple of bucks. I read all the genny talk on this board, def good info.

Myers

Control Rider
Ill be at NJMP this Mon-Tue if anyone would like to check out the ryobi

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

some guy #2

I used a cheapo Harbor Freight 3500W genny for many years with no problems. I was always able to find a place far enough away from anyone and could only faintly hear it if I put it behind my truck. While my EU2000i is quieter and lighter it is more of a pain to use.

USMC_10

Can you run 2 sets of Woodcraft tire warmers and a helmet fan off the Ryobi? Or would that be overloading it...

MrK

Awesome info!! I was just doing some research today on this very thing. I think I will be giving the RYOBI a try as I really did not want to shell out $1000 for a Yamaha Gen at the moment.

some guy #2

USMC_10;283642 wrote: Can you run 2 sets of Woodcraft tire warmers and a helmet fan off the Ryobi? Or would that be overloading it...
On my Honda I have to let one set run at a time until it warms up a little bit then I can run 2. No problems running the fan.

Myers

Control Rider
USMC_10;283642 wrote: Can you run 2 sets of Woodcraft tire warmers and a helmet fan off the Ryobi? Or would that be overloading it...
NOT 100 % sure...but that would bw pushing any of the little power units...again..feel free to.stop by and plug into mine this coming week

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

USMC_10

Thanks fellas. Was looking at the Ryobi initially but its rather small output has caused me to pass. Need a generator that can support warmers for 2 bikes. Currently looking at the Yamaha EF3000iS. Looks very comparable to the Honda EU3000iS but significantly cheaper.

MrK

USMC_10;283750 wrote: Thanks fellas. Was looking at the Ryobi initially but its rather small output has caused me to pass. Need a generator that can support warmers for 2 bikes. Currently looking at the Yamaha EF3000iS. Looks very comparable to the Honda EU3000iS but significantly cheaper.
And Yamaha is just better ... overall :D . But no really there is a good video on youtube where they disuse the difference in the honda and the yamaha. Think the 2 biggest points are the Honda uses a belt driven cam and it does not allow you to turn the fuel off from the carb. And Yamaha is better ... overall , wait i said that already.