Looking for a new double duty bike.

Mike:p

Don’t be a Hero, be consistent.
Sup N2 Crew! I’m looking into getting a new bike mostly for comfort reasons. I’ve had my current ride is a 2007 FZ6 that I’ve owned since 2009. I love pretty much everything about it except when commute for more than 30 minutes I find my hands going numb-ish and a little discomfort in my wrists. This has been an ongoing issue since I bought it.

It’s specifically the position of the bars that is causing the problem. I don’t really have much choice in changing the position as the handle bars would hit the windscreen at full lock. Furthermore, it’s not from me leaning on the bars. I actually lean on them less than I did with my last bike, an 2002 R6. I put 15k a year on that bike and never had the issues that I have had with this one. I originally assumed that I would get used to it but that never happened.
I’m considering getting a different bike mostly because I don’t feel like I have any other options. So if you have an idea that might make things more comfortable for me, besides moving the bars, I would love to know what you think or if you have a suggestion for a good commuter bike that can handle about 4 track days a year I would love that too.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Not nearly enough information....
1. What group are you in and are you serious about advancing?
2. 4 days a year is not a lot, might this increase substantially?
3. How do you get to the track, truck, trailer, ride?
4. money?
5. 15k road miles is quite a bit and over shadows 4 trackdays, what's most important?

If super serious about the track (as many of us are) and you can swing it then a track only bike is the answer. If not and only one bike will work perhaps something like a MT(FZ)-09? Good street bike that holds up on the track. Actually, there are many bikes like the Yamaha that can handle light track duty. If the FZ6 suits you on the track, convert it to track only and get the street bike of your dreams?
Just too many ways this can go to give a good answer.

Thanks for the questions. You got me thinking.

1. I’m in novice. I used to be super serious about advancing but with my lack of track time I have realized that is highly unlikely. I have found that I mostly just enjoy the experience of track riding and socializing with the N2 community at the events.
2. 4 days a year is my average. I am working on getting that number higher but I imagine 10 days a season to be my max. These 10 days would be spent over the course of 5 two day weekends.
3. I normally just put my bike in the back of my truck.
4. 5k per year is the budget that I am setting for 2021.
5. My road mileage will drop substantially in 2021 as I will be graduating with my Engineering Degree in a few weeks. I mostly used my bike for commuting and better parking on campus. I never considered whether street riding was more important than track riding. TDs are just something that I enjoy.

I did try track only bike and it didn’t work very well for me. Both times I ever went down was on my track only bike. The bike had a different riding position from my everyday bike and looking back, choosing a bike with a different riding position was a very bad choice on my part. I did consider buying another FZ6 for track only use but that still left me with the problem of bike that I didn’t find comfortable on longer rides.

I really don’t have a dream bike. I have always been a function over form person. I’m far more comfortable with riding my street bike on the track and I do understand the idea that you don’t bring anything to the track that you are not willing to throw away. I am willing to accept that I might destroy my only bike and have to pay for the repairs out of my pocket.
Which brings me back to the problem of finding a double duty bike.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Very complex issue...
First, Congrats on the degree!
5 grand ought to go pretty far as a budget, especially for 4 days...not so good for 10. When doing your budget don't forget travel expenses, fuel, tires...all the things that are easy to overlook. Some expenses span multiple years (hopefully) like a bike.
Comfort for a track bike is questionable. It should "fit" you in the sense that it promotes good body position but I don't expect to be comfortable on it. Fact is, when out on the track, I don't even think about it, too many other things to focus on. I will notice things like poor grip angles but not vibration. Back in the paddock it is a different story, that's why they make Advil. :laugh:
It sounds like you've already decided that the FZ6 isn't a good street bike for you. I don't know what a 16 year old FZ6 is worth...probably not a lot....sounds like it's a ready made solution for the track????

Very complex issue...
First, Congrats on the degree!
5 grand ought to go pretty far as a budget, especially for 4 days...not so good for 10. When doing your budget don't forget travel expenses, fuel, tires...all the things that are easy to overlook. Some expenses span multiple years (hopefully) like a bike.
Comfort for a track bike is questionable. It should "fit" you in the sense that it promotes good body position but I don't expect to be comfortable on it. Fact is, when out on the track, I don't even think about it, too many other things to focus on. I will notice things like poor grip angles but not vibration. Back in the paddock it is a different story, that's why they make Advil. :laugh:
It sounds like you've already decided that the FZ6 isn't a good street bike for you. I don't know what a 16 year old FZ6 is worth...probably not a lot....sounds like it's a ready made solution for the track????
I never thought about making the FZ6 my track bike. I’ve never had a issue with comfort on the track, always changing my BP like I should. I feel totally in sync with the FZ. I got so hung up on wanting a single bike to do both jobs. I guess my biggest fear is switching back and forth from different bikes. Since that’s what I feel caused my crashes before when I had a track only bike. Any advice for someone who still rides on the street and would switch to a different bike for the track.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I ride standard shift street bikes and GP shift on the track. Street bikes are more comfort oriented (FZ-09, FJ1200) while the track bikes are Suzukis. Radically different geometries. I've never had a problem going from one to the other though it's never been on the same day. I do go through a routine at the track. When the visor goes down I tell myself GP shift....cold tires....and whatever my plan is for that session.

damiankelly

These bars will help take pressure off your wrists— or use your legs/ stomach to hold yourself up..

Attachments

• 29D3BB54-219C-40CB-88E6-C2104EB84323.jpeg
    29D3BB54-219C-40CB-88E6-C2104EB84323.jpeg
    27.5 KB · Views: 8

tdelegram

Control Rider
Race bikes ergo’ safe perfect for the race track, I have yet to think mid session, mid race this bike is uncomfortable, after 2 one hour endurance stints in the span of 4 hours I might feel my body cramp and it hurts to ride hard and fast but it’s not the bike it’s my old broken body. I think your answer is a track bike and a street bike. I enjoy road riding with my wife on my Harley road king, super comfy, starts, stops, doesn’t leak oil and if you twist the right grip it gets louder. I sold my street rc8 as it was good for about an hour then things got sore.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I never thought about making the FZ6 my track bike. I’ve never had a issue with comfort on the track, always changing my BP like I should. I feel totally in sync with the FZ. I got so hung up on wanting a single bike to do both jobs. I guess my biggest fear is switching back and forth from different bikes. Since that’s what I feel caused my crashes before when I had a track only bike. Any advice for someone who still rides on the street and would switch to a different bike for the track.
I think you are incorrect to think about the track only bike "being different than your street bike" causing your crash. It was some other reason for sure.

I ride an r1 on the track and a vintage 78' cb750 on the street.... never do I confuse the two, as they are pretty different. They each do things differently and if anything rising the r1 makes me safer on the cb, because I will carry less lean angle on the cb.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Bike's don't crash themselves. They just do what the rider tells them to do.

I went from Mini Practice at Nelson Ledges on an Ohvale 160 to my R1 in less than 5 minutes.
From 15HP, 150 pounds to 180hp and 400 pounds.

Don't blame the bike, Mike. It's not the bike's fault.

Let me clarify. I don’t blame the bike. What I wrote and what I thought don’t agree.
I’m big on extreme ownership. The reason I crashed was because the track bike only emphasized my lack of skill. I simply wasn’t ready for what it offered.
That’s why I originally considered a duel purpose (track/street) bike. I figured that if I rode the same bike all the time I wouldn’t crash because my familiarity with the bike would save me if I got in over my head.
Let’s just say I still have a lot to learn and I know I do.

tad158

I still don't like that line of thinking. The skills you have are the same on both bikes. You can get over your head on both.

Honestly you were probably more attached to your street bike and ride more conservative than you did on your track bike.

Also you shouldn't really be riding at the absolute limit on a track day, because there isn't any room left to let your brain learn.

I still don't like that line of thinking. The skills you have are the same on both bikes. You can get over your head on both.

Honestly you were probably more attached to your street bike and ride more conservative than you did on your track bike.

Also you shouldn't really be riding at the absolute limit on a track day, because there isn't any room left to let your brain learn.
You’re right on all accounts.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Mike, take half of your budget for next year and sign up for a ChampSchool. Invest your money in you as a rider. The bike is irrelevant. Learning to adapt and apply proper technique regardless of what, when and where you are riding will carry you much further than your choice of bike. Happy to chat with you about this offline as well.

D-Zum

The biggest difference between street riding and track riding is speed/pace, in my opinion.

Track pace requires, in general, a lot more influence on the machine by using body position due to the higher corner speeds involved.
Street riding, for me, is a lot "lazier and more relaxed".

You want to work on track technique and pace at slower speeds? Get an XR100 or TTR125, find a kart track and do some MiniGP practice and racing. And, it's more physical because the kart tracks are Turn, Turn, turn, turn, and more turns. not much straight away to "rest" before the next series of turns, turns, and more turns. Get your kid a 50 or a 110, and it's something you two can do together. But, be ready....cause the kid will smoke your ass in no time flat....don't ask me how I know.

tad158

@D-Zum where is a good place to hunt for one of those already set up for minimoto? Have been thinking about it but don't want to go through all the effort to convert the bike from dirt to track.

D-Zum

Great question....probably the usual places, like the WERA Forum Mini section, FB in the NJMiniGP area, Craigslist, ...sometimes you'll see someone selling a bike already set up. (I'm not on FB, and I'm proud that I know absolutely nothing about that dumpster fire).

Really, if you find a used TTR, grab it. Small displacement dirt bikes are hard to find now. Setting it up for Mini isn't that hard nor expensive as far as I know. Some tires, and a little catch bottle, and a little drilling and safety wiring can get you going initially. I think Bridgestone BT-45's are the tire of choice for the 125's and XR100's. You're not buying new tires frequently....depending on how much you ride, maybe once or twice a season. Just like your R1, you can change things like fork and shock as you find the need and your budget allows.

I know Rob Miller at The Service Pavillion will build a bike and sells them to MiniGP racers. He also runs Sandy Hook Speeday north of Baltimore. It's a fun little track, too.

DMVMiniGP in Hanover, MD will allow R3's and Ninja 400's on their course as well during practice session days. I've seen a couple N2 CR's there on those platforms this year. They're not true minis...but if you want to ride practice and have fun, it's an option as well. They have open practice for Mini's on like Friday and Sunday mornings, and I think it's about $60. Cheap seat time to hone your skills in the off season and between events.
And if you want to stick a toe into actual racing...again....cheap and relatively low risk and a shit ton of fun.

I tried a Grom for Mini's at first...and that was fun..but not the best platform for Minis. The forks DIVE under braking. The Ohlins inserts help, but there still not sprung heavily enough (at least not for me).