Looking for a starter track bike

blueninja1

Hey guys,

I would like to formally apologize to Judy. I keep hearing she is a very nice person and I am sorry about my out of line comments. Please forgive me.

I would also like to apologize to dzum for blowing my top. Yes, I probably did deserve a kick in the butt for being so bold. I hope we can chill sometime and you can offer me help when I need it. People have told me you are a very cool dude who is usually the first to help a rider.

I hope the forum accepts this apololgy for giving out advice perhaps too early, when I myself am inexperienced at the track. I guess I let my eagerness get the best of me and I will be quicker to listen and slower to speak from here on out.

Happy Holidays,

Brendon

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Welcome brother.......you're among friends.....

and according to slowpoke....creepy old gay uncles hitting on new members......can't you just feel the brotherly love in this family:)

Good to see you understand we all mean well.

Kordyte

blueninja1;165290 wrote: Hey guys,

I would like to formally apologize to Judy. I keep hearing she is a very nice person and I am sorry about my out of line comments. Please forgive me.

I would also like to apologize to dzum for blowing my top. Yes, I probably did deserve a kick in the butt for being so bold. I hope we can chill sometime and you can offer me help when I need it. People have told me you are a very cool dude who is usually the first to help a rider.

I hope the forum accepts this apololgy for giving out advice perhaps too early, when I myself am inexperienced at the track. I guess I let my eagerness get the best of me and I will be quicker to listen and slower to speak from here on out.

Happy Holidays,

Brendon
Good call, dude. Glad to see it. :congrats:

I thought (still suspect?) you're a troll. Could you PLEASE explain these posts?

blueninja1;164703 wrote: dude is right, trolls need to be fed in the winter time. ;)
blueninja1;164705 wrote:
looks like we got a game of clue! yaaaaaaaaaaaay

You're on the good side now anyway. Until this post just now though, you'd never acknowledged that maybe you don't know tons about motorcycle racing and high performance riding. This was the most recent information-related post you made (on a different thread):

blueninja1;164738 wrote:
okay that's the last advice i ever give on this forum. if people are so immature as to not want knowledge then be my guest. i have background in karts and auto-racing, I have a keen attention to detail when it comes to the input/output of a bike even though I only have 2 summers under my belt. i have also ridden a bike to the best of its abilities in street trim and i am tired of people saying oh you never pushed a bike to its limit. yes a million modifications can be made to make a bike better but in stock form yes i have done this, and it is surely not impossibe. It is quite possible to do it in a controlled manner on the street. Feel for the grip in the tires. End of rant. Good day sir!
Being wrong is normal and forgivable, but being wrong and not learning from experienced people that are telling you so is at least a little bit moronic, which is what I was getting at. Not trying to offend you :D

Oh and because I'm an equal-opportunity offender, this is dedicated to everybody else in this thread including me:
duty_calls.png

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hey Brendon, good post, sounds completely sincere. Apology accepted. I figured you were kiddin' around, but I've got a lot of good friends on here looking out for me! :)

I like your change in attitude. Over confidence + inexperience can land you on your head pretty quickly in this sport. If anyone has come across as an ass, it's just because they are very passionate about this sport and don't want to see you hurt yourself or any other riders sharing the track with you. We've also been around long enough to see fellow riders very seriously injured or killed. I've seen both. It's not fun, but unfortunately a reality of this sport we love. The proper attitude and riding courteously can help a lot in minimizing the risks as much as possible. After all, it's a trackday, not a race. There's no trophies or prize money. The prize is going home in one piece at the end of the day, having shared a great day with old friends and new.

I've been doing this for awhile; street riding over 25 years, and trackdays for 15 seasons. I still have a ton to learn. When a new guy comes on acting like they know a lot, it sends up red flags. We've all seen it a million times...new eager guy comes to his/her first trackday, fast on the street, know-it-all type....they get on course and try to go as fast as possible. Usually it doesn't end well. Folks here genuinely care and try to steer new track riders to a more open, willing-to-learn attitude. If we've now done that with you, well, mission accomplished! :D

When you get to the track, focus on smooth, not speed. You have to go slow to go fast. Really.

We'll see you out there next season. I ride frequently at NJMP. Prior to each date, there's usually a "roll call" thread started. Chime in and let us know how to find you (bike type, number, type of vehicle, etc.). Stop by and say hello. Everyone at NESBA is very friendly and more than willing to help a new-to-the-track rider.

Happy Holidays!

Zippy

People really do care about others in this club. That is part of what makes this sport so enriching and engaging. It is an honor to be part of it all.

TDavis920

Okay, so now that we made it through all of that, let me try to get this thread a bit back on track. I'm also new to NESBA and track days, I chose NESBA in large part due to their focus on learning and becoming a more skilled rider. Not just the desire to try to go fast around the racetrack. But I will fully admit, I do have the desire to go fast.

I've participated in two track days, both of them at Putnam and both of them real learning experiences. The first day was quite a humbling experience, luckily I had checked my ego at the gate when I signed in because if I hadn't, I would have been crushed. I too thought I'm a pretty darn good rider but I found out very quickly that street riding and track riding are two very different things. I found the control riders to be extremely skilled at both riding and teaching. All things I learned on this forum before even getting to my first track day but certainly validated during my first session of my first day. I went back to Putnam for the last event of the year and did my best to listen and learn again. Best thing I did for myself was tape over the speedometer for all my sessions.

So going with the "run with what you have" advice that I got on this forum, those first track days were on my ZZR1200. For those of you that know the ZZR, it is more sport-tourer than sport but still potent, still fun on the track and certainly something I could learn with.

Now I'm also considering a track bike and have a question related to the 600 vs. liter bike debate. I'm a big dude, 6'2" and currently abuse the scales at 280lbs. Yes, they really do make leathers my size. Even if my New Years resolution works this year and I get down to 250lbs before my first track day of 2011, I'm wondering if the bigger guys like me also need the bigger bike? Or, being new to track riding, am I still better off to get a decent 600 that has been setup for the track, get the suspension adjusted for my rather ample dimensions and learn to ride the thing before even considering the more powerfull bikes?

I would sincerely appreciate any advice on this.

Thanks,

Tom

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I see plenty of big guys, Control Riders included, on 600s at the track. That would get my vote, but hopefully some of the big guys will chime in...
Another option that would kind of be in the middle is a gsxr 750...

Tom:

No, you don't need a bigger bike brother (unless you want one ;) .

CR Barry Gunning is like 6'3" over 200 lbs and rides a 600. You know when he goes by LOL! Tall dude stuffed on a small-ish bike. All you see are tires underneath a body.

CR Big Kaley (who really does look like Shrek) rides a 1000...but when he's on it I'd swear its a 600 :notsure:

I am 6'1" on a TZ125. The only thing that kept the 125 from going faster? Me and my throttle hand and the TZ is around 35 hp and weighs 179lbs.

Proper suspension set up is what helps with weight, no matter what the riders size.

BZ

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
Most of the current 600's put out over 100HP which should be enough ....and the 600 is definitely more forgiving when you get throttle happy.
Having said that...... 280 lbs is a full load and the 600's need to be kept spooled up to deliver their power. Judy's suggestion of a GSXR750 might be the way to go.

PJZOCC624

Nice job, Brendon....

Tom...
You're probably going to have a tough time finding leathers off the rack. Try Z-Custom leathers. As far as the bike, you'll be fine on a 600, but the key for you is going to be suspension. You WILL need to change out the springs. You can swap the spring out of your stock rear shock vs. buying a new/aftermarket shock. That's going to be the biggest issue you're going to face on any bike you pick up.

blueninja1

if a guy like myself was to start off on a 750, would i have trouble handling the extra weight of the bike? In my experience I could never muscle around a bike like that and would have to learn to ride with the bike you know? I tried my dads r1 once and it was very intimidating, it was the first time I rode a sportbike. Does it just take time to get used to heavier bikes?

blueninja1

by guy like me i mean, 5'10 150lbs, decent strength. i know you dont have to be schawrzenegger but strength does play a factor when the weight gets up there on some of these bikes

Mikey75702

Tom, I agree with the above. You can do just fine with a 600... Barry is the only BIG control rider I have ridden with, but he is damn fast on that r6. He almost looks like an adult riding one of those micro pocketbikes. Except when he passes you, you have to do a double take.

Blue, the weight of the 750 probably won't be the biggest factor in your riding it. It has less power then a 1k, but still more then a 600. It will eat tires faster, and require more control from your right hand.

PJZOCC624

Blu, the difference in curb weight between a modern-day 600 to 750 to 1000 is pretty minimal. That said...

I doubt you'd notice the difference between a 600 and 750. However, from a 600 to a 1000, you'll notice the difference in transitions (quick left-right flicks) at certain tracks. Reason is the reciprocating mass spinning in the motor. I had an 04 CBR1000RR that I really had to "muscle" in transitions, but when I went to the 600, I could flick it l/r/l with considerably less effort. Maybe it was mental thing for me, but it was a measurable difference.

I have alot more fun on the 600 than I did on the litre bike. I doubt I'll be going back to a 1000cc's for track duty, unless its a twin... and red... and from Italy...

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
I'm 5'8" 145 lbs and did my first three years of track days on R1's......loved that power and initially missed it when I switched to my R6 full time. No question that the bigger bikes are more work to get around some tracks.....especially the tight tracks. It's not just the weight of the bike that makes it more strenuous to ride......the gyroscopic effect of the engine's spinning mass also plays a roll which makes transitions more work.

rk97

I think some of the discrepancy in advice regarding bike choice has to do with the tracks we all frequent.

most of the people I know best on this board and in this thread ride 600's, because I see them primarily at BeaveRun, and occasionally at Summit ant NJMP.

But some of the South and MidWest guys (especially those further West) swear by the liter bikes. I assume because they get to hit "big" tracks more often.

If you ride a 600 the right way, no one NEEDS more than 100-110 horsepower to be quick. What almost everyone needs is stiffer springs (stiffer than stock).

Japanese bikes have gotten better in the last decade or so about accommodating American-sized riders, but they're still basically sprung for 140 lbs. Japanese test riders. And I think they're even more undersprung to be somewhat tolerable for riding craptacular city streets.

I'm by no means a big guy, but with leathers and a helmet on, I probably tip the scales at close to 200 lbs...

I wouldn't trade my 600 for anything but a newer 600... I like that it's relatively easy on gas and tires, and it's never felt that slow in a straight line. Hell, I was riding with Jeff at BeaveRun almost all day, and keeping up pretty well, but at the end of the day, his rear tire was toast, and mine lasted 3 more days.

He sold his 1000 and bought a 600 about a month later.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
blueninja1;165290 wrote: Hey guys,

Happy Holidays,

Brendon
Brendon, I graciously accept your apology..and more than anything I'm happy and proud you offered your apology to Judy.

Let me offer you my own apology for going DEFCON 5 on you. I offer no defense for my actions. It's just part of me and the value I put on friends. If, over time, we grow to become friends, I'd do the same for you.

But, we'll speak no more of this and move on from here being nothing but positive.

So my 2 cents on a track bike.....

I've had GSXR600's, 750's and 1000's.

Soon I'll have all three..well, actually I'll have in garage a 09 R6 (My street bike I never ride), a 2006 GSXR600 (It's getting a 750 motor this winter), and a 2005 GSXR1000. All are GREAT.

The GSXR600 has been my favorite track bike. I bought it when I was still in B group. It was my incentive to make it to I group. Then, I think riding the GSXR600 allowed me to focus a LOT more my technique instead of managing not to high side. Which was a significant factor in me making A group.

Riding the little bike..complimented the occasions when I break out the big bike as well (VIR Full and Road Atlanta).

So, why a 750 motor? Well, I'm one of those slightly heavier riders at 5'9" and in the 235lb range. I want a little more torque to haul my fat ass around, so I consulted with Karnes about a little "Lovin" to my 600 motor to bump up the power a bit. The 750 motor gets me that at a lower price point.

And I had actually dropped the idea until I found a 750 motor for a super price. So, after the Holidays the bike goes to Karnes.

dylanes21

Still looking for a starter bike, I have a Vesrah SV1000, the best prepped bike out there. It is a true racebike striaght from Suzuki, with all the factory goodies. No other bike will come close to the preperation on this bike. You can use it from Novice, all the way up to as fast as you want to go.

dylanes21@aol.com