Looking for trailer recommendations

Ducgirl

I currently use a utility trailer but am looking to get an enclosed trailer so I don’t have to worry about overnight trips and rainy days. Any advice on particular things I should look for or stay away from? I’ll be towing with a Jeep Wrangler so I want to stay on the smaller side. Is a 5x8 big enough for all the basics? I looked at a 6x12 and it looked too big. Thanks for your feedback.

Shifty10

Control Rider
Short Answer: depending on what you mean by "the basics", should be plenty.

Longer Answer:
It really comes down to how well you can organize the trailer and how much "stuff" you want to bring. If you can get stuff up off the floor and onto the walls (with shelving or e-track or something similar), it makes the space seem a lot bigger. Some people in here have done a lot with limited space. 5x8 can be more than enough for one bike, a tent, riding gear, a few extras. Also a couple things to think about, do you intend on camping in it? If so, will you need power to the trailer? Where will you store it when not using it?

It is worth it to see other people's opinions who have pulled trailers with smaller vehicles to see what they are like towing. 5x8 should tow pretty easily behind a wrangler, possibly even 6x12, but the bigger you go, the more likely you can encounter trouble.

I'm sure some of these are probably things you've already thought about but just putting thoughts on paper.

mpusch

Micah
I'll start with saying that I know next to nothing about Wranglers.

I have a 6x12 Single Axle V Nose (with brakes!) that I tow with a Honda Pilot. For me personally, that's about as big as I'd go and be comfortable with it. It's not about what you can pull, but what you can stop. I'm sure there's people who would pull a 7x16 with it, but I don't think I'd do it. Plus, depending on your transmission and such, that extra weight and wind resistance can really make the engine work too.

I made a Harbor Freight 4x8 open trailer work for a few years (with two bikes), but the 6x12 was a serious step up. It also caused my mileage to drop from close to 20 mpg to around 11 at best. I know people have used a 5x8 though as well, and I'm sure you could get the basics for one bike in there without too much trouble. Obviously, I don't know exactly what you bring with you, but between the sides next to the bike and in the wrangler I would think you should be good?

bmart

Control Rider
I don't own any vehicles that can tow an enclosed trailer, but I've never needed that. If I planned to camp at the track, I would go enclosed with a capable tow vehicle.

On my open trailer (Triton AUT1064, 1825lb capacity, 205/65-10 tires. Overall length 165". Overall width 85". Bed length 120". Bed width 64". ) I am able to easily load/haul two bikes, two sets of stands, a canopy, spare wheels, and more! The gear, spares, etc. go in tubs in the car. It works really well and I can use the trailer for other things.

2blueyam

If you go up to a 6x12 or even 6x10, get trailer brakes and a trailer brake controller when towing with something like a Wrangler. That will mean custom order probably, but for the added safety it is worth it.

5x8 or 5x10 you are most likely ok without.

For one bike and sleeping I would think 5x10 would be a good size, but 5x8 would work. Add a buddy, his bike and stuff 6x10 is the smallest I would go and that is probably one of you in a tent. I love my 6x12 Vnose, but I have a Touareg Diesel that tows it easily.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yeah. That is a great idea If you want to double your time to your destination while you wait every hour for an hour at a charging station that isn’t designed for that cyberfucktard rig to fit into.