Midwest Track Day

cooker1

This is a new startup TD Org 2years experience HIGHLY recommended 6ft passing rules limited to 65 riders at BHF track time will be stopped for off track incidents lunch corner worker breaks etc but otherwise it is a green track and you can run till you are out of gas if you want ! It is not racing it is a TD and and all rules you learned especially with NESBA just apply them here and all will be fine ! If there are NESBA I riders you guys know whats up you made to I which is tough if A riders never mind . I am sure there will be some who feel they are in over their heads which might be so ! Hold your line pass smart and I think it will be fun . There will be CRs out watching just like any other TD and dangerous riding etc. will be dealt with .

stkr

It's nice to see someone trying to keep the midwest alive, but the thought of open lapping just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm trying to imagine me running my A-pace while there are beginner level riders circulating at the same time. It's not like I can't navigate traffic, but who might get spooked and alter their line, or worse, run off.

They recommend 2 years track experience, but how are they going to verify this with each individual? The CR's are going to have their work cut out for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

some guy #2

I've been to a few open lapping events (end of the rain day type of thing) and never had a problem. The B and I guys are rolling slow enough that getting around them isn't a problem. You can't come up on them at 150% because you're looking where you want to go right?

cooker1

I understand what you are saying Jim but it will be obvious real quick who belongs and who does'nt not sure how he will deal with this but will find out ! He is a good friend of mine !

Matt

The FB page says the group caters to Intermediate and Advanced riders.

I'll get out there and see how it works out. I need more seat time this year.

stkr

cooker1;262466 wrote: I understand what you are saying Jim but it will be obvious real quick who belongs and who does'nt not sure how he will deal with this but will find out ! He is a good friend of mine !
I'm sure it would get sorted out, but the concern is what happens prior to that happening. This would be an event where I might sit out the first hour or so, and let the CRs do their thing.

PatFitz9

I imagine its similar to any of the CCS events. At blackhawk there are experts running under 1:10's and amateurs running 1:27's. it's not every lap, but the experts lap the amateurs in almost every race. That said, I definitely see the risk. Closing speed is hard to judge at 100%.

I'm willing to give them a try. I've heard good things.

z064life

stkr;262460 wrote: It's nice to see someone trying to keep the midwest alive, but the thought of open lapping just sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

I'm trying to imagine me running my A-pace while there are beginner level riders circulating at the same time. It's not like I can't navigate traffic, but who might get spooked and alter their line, or worse, run off.

They recommend 2 years track experience, but how are they going to verify this with each individual? The CR's are going to have their work cut out for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
What's 2 years have to do with it anyway? I've technically not been doing trackdays for 2 years and the 1st season I was out for most of it for a surgery and I'm in A group. And what constitutes a year? I know guys that did 2 days last year..I did 19.

To me open lapping is never good. Coming down the straight into turn 1 there you can take pretty fast but a lot of guys slow down quite a bit. It wouldn't take much to misjudge distance or their speed coming up on a significantly slower rider. That's why they don't let B and A run together.

cooker1

OK here it is !!!!!!! If you are not at least an I NESBA rider thats right I said I NESBA rider don't sign up . I have rode with the other MW orgs and I am sorry they do not stand up to the NESBA MW standards !!!There ar some fast riders in the other orgs so if you riders are up to it so be it ! It is what it is open lapping open track if you are are scared stay home there will be no refunds if you sign up and can't hang you wasted your money ! I guess we aint playin no more put up or shut up ! Iwill be there watchin y'all so don't be slower than me ! Lets have some FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

z064life

cooker1;262531 wrote: OK here it is !!!!!!! If you are not at least an I NESBA rider thats right I said I NESBA rider don't sign up . I have rode with the other MW orgs and I am sorry they do not stand up to the NESBA MW standards !!!There ar some fast riders in the other orgs so if you riders are up to it so be it ! It is what it is open lapping open track if you are are scared stay home there will be no refunds if you sign up and can't hang you wasted your money ! I guess we aint playin no more put up or shut up ! Iwill be there watchin y'all so don't be slower than me ! Lets have some FUN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Just curious. What do you expect the "slow" time to be at Putnam...or what will the cutoff be that you tell people they can't hang? Assuming good weather.

some guy #2

z064life;262532 wrote: Just curious. What do you expect the "slow" time to be at Putnam...or what will the cutoff be that you tell people they can't hang? Assuming good weather.
At Putnam? Anything under 1:20 is good enough for advanced. Inside 1:35 is good I pace and anything else is B.

z064life

cooker1;262533 wrote: you know I don't know I guess just don't be a dangerous road block !
I guess that's where I'd have concerns. I'm not sure how you can charge $225/day and then kick somone out because they aren't fast enough without knowing what fast is. I've ridden at Putnam many times and the difference between sub 1:20 and upper 1:20s (I group) is a lot....and there are guys that can run 1:12-1:14. It's only an hour drive for me so I may come watch and see it unfold and then signup for the next weekend you are there. Its a decent concept, but I know when I was running low 1:20s in I, it was dangerous.

Also, what controls will be there for the number on the track at any given time? Somone said 65 participants. If you get more than 30 on at putnam at any one time you are asking for trouble.

z064life

some guy #2;262544 wrote: At Putnam? Anything under 1:20 is good enough for advanced. Inside 1:35 is good I pace and anything else is B.
That's in general and yes you are correct. 1:15-1:19 and 1:35 at putnam won't mix well in my opinion

Amac955

I've done a bit of riding in open groups. The thing is you just can't ride 10/10ths or even 9/10ths when there is a known degree of unpredictability. In NESBA I and B, we were all told is was the passer's responsibility to to evaluate a passee and execute a pass correctly, and if you had the skill set, and were patient, it could be done.

Any competent NESBA A rider should be quite qualified to pass someone running well below their pace. Anyone riding in an open session type format should be smart enough to evaluate the rest of the field before putting their head down and going for a PR. How many times have we been taught/told to build in a margin? Well, the margin may just have to grow a little more.

The MW & MC NESBA A group was a very rare and special thing, where you really could count on a high level of predictability. Of course, the entry requirements were so stringent that the A group was very frequently only 1/2 filled so there was very little track density as well. It was good when you got there but it for many riders it seemed nearly an obtainable goal. I'm gonna say it, most of us A riders got spoiled. The nature of the track day scene has changed and there are people out there trying to find alternative solutions. Sorry the private playground probably isn't coming back.

The thing about track riding is for most of it is boils down to risk. How do we manage/mitigate it, and how much is each individual person willing to expose themselves to? The level of risk is going to be different but anyone out there trying to hit a PR at a trackday amongst riders with different skill sets is knowingly elevating the risk, even more so than the guy out there who doesn't know he sucks because at least maybe he can plead ignorance for a bit. I guess my point is you're going to have to adapt and change the expectations of what you can accomplish at a track day.

When the Mid-Central died several years ago I had to adapt to riding with a different crowd. I've ridden a lot of open session track days. They can work. Communicate with event organizers when you see something you don't like. Ride the Ride you learned while in NESBA. Understand that there will be new challenges and frustrations. Understand that sometimes the track may be clogged but I've also seen a lot of very open track as well.

Either pay your money and figure out how to get along with others, sit at home and sulk, or rent the track yourself, but for crying out loud, be happy that someone is taking a risk to bring more trackdays to the Midwest.

One final note about numbers. 65 riders total for open lapping is not a bad number. Most guys can't last more than 20 minutes an hour anyway so now your talking about an average of 22 riders on the track at any given time. That is more than manageable. Others will ride all morning and by the afternoon, 1/2 or more of the guys will be tired out.

End Rant.

z064life

I'm just asking questions...I ride putnam with Indy Ducati/Commonwealth several times a year. I know putnam pretty well and having a 20+ second/lap difference isn't about patience...it's about knowing they are even there coming around T8 for example. It's close to me so I'm going to try to go out and watch how it goes and if I like what I see, I'll bring my bike on sunday or wait and do the next full weekend they are there to support them

BillFred

$225 for a day at Putnam!!! Ouch.

The rule states that anyone sub 1:20 at Putnam must disconnect one spark plug or ride a neon orange bike for safety reasons.

Good God, 4 months to go and we are all debating this stuff. Winter sucks.