Miles between suspension refreshes

bmart

Control Rider
Wow, that is way more than spec. lol I generally run two seasons, so about 4k miles on each bike...and I'd like to push it out.

CB-1
13,425 on shock last done 7/22/11
10,275 on forks last done 1/5/13

VFR800
17,058 on forks, last done 4/18/14

R6-B
All suspension has 4,066 miles on it, last done 11/28/16

R6-C
All suspension has 7,381 miles, last done 12/14/17

Last edited:

tdelegram

Control Rider
I look at it like a cheap umbrella policy, I have a good policy with my tires but why not add the umbrella in case I need that 1/1000th percent to keep my bike pretty

additionally, I think there needs to be afactor you multiply a track mile by. 1 track mile and 1 street mile are not equivalent, if I had to creat one I would start around 2.5 street = 1 track mile?

Motofun352

Control Rider
I go every other year for my coaching bike. It sees about 50 days though I do replace the fork oil at the in between years.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
The faster you go the more you need to maintain the suspension like anything. I could run Tires to cords and I do but not at 100%. I could run a shock on an SV for 5 years but I could have three to four near misses. So best option is annual. Cheap insurance. Since a crash is always the most expensive part of the sport.

bmart

Control Rider
I look at it like a cheap umbrella policy, I have a good policy with my tires but why not add the umbrella in case I need that 1/1000th percent to keep my bike pretty

additionally, I think there needs to be afactor you multiply a track mile by. 1 track mile and 1 street mile are not equivalent, if I had to creat one I would start around 2.5 street = 1 track mile?
I'll have to ask Thermosman. I woudl think that the street would be much harder on suspension, as the tracks are so smooth in comparison, and with miniman stop/starts.

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
I'll have to ask Thermosman. I woudl think that the street would be much harder on suspension, as the tracks are so smooth in comparison, and with miniman stop/starts.
Total opposite. Yes it is probably smoother, but the amount of hard braking and acceleration works the suspension. Additionally street never asks the same level of grip as track. So again, track is more critical.

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I do oil and seals in my forks every year. I am always surprised at how dirty the oil is when I drain it. It goes in clear with a slight green tone.
fbad053704e78e437af0b25749f39b32.jpg

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Ron, at Washington Cycle Works, Refreshes my suspension every 2 years on the dot! He changes anything that is worn out! He is an Ohlins authorized and trained suspension Tech and has been doing it for over 25 Years!

Jester

Yamahawkins
Control Rider
Director
There are people the upper end of the expert grid that will refresh suspension almost every weekend. I presume the same could be said for most MA teams.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
There are people the upper end of the expert grid that will refresh suspension almost every weekend. I presume the same could be said for most MA teams.

Back when we had Factory teams....probably a refresh daily, with component changes done throughout the day looking for their ideal setup.

Ever been to a MotoGP event? Emerson and I watched them completely tear down Rossi's bike and meticulously clean every piece at a carbon fiber wash table after every session. Hospitals are not that clean.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I normally change mine twice a year, before the season starts and mid season. Front what I understand you're supposed to base your refresh on how many hours you ride.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
12 hours of use is what is recommended so 10-12 trackdays. For the N2 Motoamerica team we do it every 6 hours of use.

bmart

Control Rider
This is all pretty interesting. The Onlins spec on my street bikes is 30k mile refreshes. I won't likely go that long, although the VFR is closing in on 20k on the forks.

At 12 hours (or 120 hours) I think that I'd go broke on suspension refreshes. Maybe I can take it on later in life as a retirement task!

Emerson, do you stlll have 03-05 R6 / 06-09 R6S parts laying around?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Would you run your motor 30k miles between oil changes?

Even at Street specs, that’s going to mean sludge is trying to flow through your forks.