More trouble for NYST?

Domiken

Glad to hear, I remember very well how happy people were that we were there. We gladly spent money in the gas stations, bars, stores, etc... At a local bar they asked us where we came from and what we were doing there, and I gladly explained the race track and they were happy to see the traffic, everyone was positive about it.

In one of my many trips a local complained to me at the bar about how we "city people" ruin everything (typical BS), and before I could answer another local chimed in and gave them a very strong chat about their ignorance. He then said, keep enjoying the track, don't worry about folks like this, I have to pass by there sometime with my Harley :)

betarace

if you look at Millville as a similar example, in July of 2009 (?) when they opened, downtown millville was an empty hull with drifters and general vagrants on nearly every corner... fast forward 4 years and there are new malls/investments and downtown is re-energized/vibrant... all NJMP ? doubtful, but every little bit helps. I doubt you can hear the track from downtown Mville...

Harpersfield is in the middle of nowhere, and other than Minor League baseball and SUNY Oneonta, there aint much there. NYST being on the TOP of the mountain and carved "over the hill" from the local citizenry on the way up the road, I would volunteer that for all but the most adjacent neighbors sound is an issue. There are 2-3 dilapidated farms on the way up the hill (think VIR entry road) that are the real (eyesore) problem... I volunteer that someone wants some grease and is willing to make noise to get it...

jfmgsxr750

I love the track to and I am glad it's still a go. We do spend money up there and I am sure the local
gas stations, restaurants, bars, hotels, hookers, famers daughters LMAO.....want us to keep coming!!!

DUG

Don't really know many specifics about this case, but the typical legal process that ensues in matters such as these is as follows.

1. Similar venue is planned, under construction, or recently completed.

2. An ECO-NUT, Old Person, Motor Sport Hater, or someone irrationally believing that such a venue will depreciate land values hires a very cheap attorney to file an injunction.

3. The Owner or Attorney representing the owner responds, challenging the injunction which almost always has ZERO legal precedent or merit.

4. The injunction is removed allowing operations to proceed as planned barring anything outrageous. (i.e. noise under a billion decibels, normal operating hours, proper waste disposal, etc. - common sense protocols)

Now, depending on location and the courts case burden this can take a while... but it usually always ends the same....Track = WIN

However, I always get kick out of people trying to shut tracks down. Especially when they hate you, but have no ethical or moral issues taking your money while you're there.

Was told track schedule will go on as planned, I have already paid for 3 track days at NYST and will probably do 6-8 there. I guess time will tell, read through this entire thread and see where we were told it will go on as scheduled, never believe everything in the paper....Scott

Gundamzeppelin

betarace;299030 wrote: if you look at Millville as a similar example, in July of 2009 (?) when they opened, downtown millville was an empty hull with drifters and general vagrants on nearly every corner... fast forward 4 years and there are new malls/investments and downtown is re-energized/vibrant... all NJMP ? doubtful, but every little bit helps. I doubt you can hear the track from downtown Mville...

Harpersfield is in the middle of nowhere, and other than Minor League baseball and SUNY Oneonta, there aint much there. NYST being on the TOP of the mountain and carved "over the hill" from the local citizenry on the way up the road, I would volunteer that for all but the most adjacent neighbors sound is an issue. There are 2-3 dilapidated farms on the way up the hill (think VIR entry road) that are the real (eyesore) problem... I volunteer that someone wants some grease and is willing to make noise to get it...

:agree:

The roads are damn near abandoned and with the shape they are in it would explain a lot! It's creepy really not a place you ever want to brake down. Also most areas your phone has NO reception it's insane. The fact there is even a stink about the track blows my mind. It's a no where place none of us would make the trip too or spend a dime at if not for the track. It's a sad state of affairs.:doh:

scotman623;299276 wrote:
Was told track schedule will go on as planned, I have already paid for 3 track days at NYST and will probably do 6-8 there. I guess time will tell, read through this entire thread and see where we were told it will go on as scheduled, never believe everything in the paper....Scott
I'm down for two days already :/ hoping all go's well.

kcor

Kris
DUG;299103 wrote: Don't really know many specifics about this case, but the typical legal process that ensues in matters such as these is as follows.

1. Similar venue is planned, under construction, or recently completed.

2. An ECO-NUT, Old Person, Motor Sport Hater, or someone irrationally believing that such a venue will depreciate land values hires a very cheap attorney to file an injunction.

3. The Owner or Attorney representing the owner responds, challenging the injunction which almost always has ZERO legal precedent or merit.

4. The injunction is removed allowing operations to proceed as planned barring anything outrageous. (i.e. noise under a billion decibels, normal operating hours, proper waste disposal, etc. - common sense protocols)

Now, depending on location and the courts case burden this can take a while... but it usually always ends the same....Track = WIN

However, I always get kick out of people trying to shut tracks down. Especially when they hate you, but have no ethical or moral issues taking your money while you're there.
1. NYST has deviated significantly from the plan. As there are no zoning or noise laws on the books, and it's reasonable that plans evolve and change due to business needs and constraints, unforeseeable events, etc.

TAKEAWAY: We'll see. This sounds like something where the deeper pockets might win (long, drawn out, lots of legal fees.)

2. As with other posts, there's little merit in the argument "devaluing land", based on the run-down nature of surrounding properties. Additionally, realtors themselves have begun advertising nearby property with selling points that specifically mention the track (and other tracks like Monticello). http://kellieplace.wordpress.com/ To the part about the attorney, sometimes it isn't so much about cheap, but also local versus "big law". The local guy might navigate the local courts better. http://lawyers.law.cornell.edu/lawyer/douglas-hector-zamelis-1194143 NYST . The lawyer representing the town happens to work at a top environmental law firm: http://www.youngsommer.com/ .

TAKEAWAY: Big (or medium) law usually wins... the "The Rainmaker" is of course Hollywood.

3. In fact, there is no precedent for one of the rulings mentioned in the Daily Star. The Open Meetings law is very new. I'm no expert (just a nerd), but how fair use of unzoned land comes into play may even make some of what was in the meetings irrelevant. There a new legal question to be answered. The open meetings law probably wasn't drafted with this specific set of circumstances in mind.

TAKEAWAY: It has some merit.

4. This is the interesting one. To the noise piece, Laguna Seca actually installed noise monitors (check out the test in 2013 Cycle World with Bostrom on the Duc and BMW). I was trying to see how the judge ruled in prior cases. Is he a loose cannon, hard-nosed, balanced, any pet issues? A ten second google search found this link http://coophallofshame.com/burns.htm and this one http://www.thedailystar.com/localnews/x650359870/Main-Headline . Who knows. The real kicker was reading comments about the latter article. They illustrate how irresponsible, uncoordinated and incomplete the Daily Star has reported in the past. TAKEAWAY: Don't get your info from the Daily Star.

I think we'll be riding at NYST as we're being told. My first ever track days were here last season. I look forward to coming back.

jdel

Supposedly another org is sending info out to members that all NYST track days are on hold due to the recent ruling. I'm still hoping that's not the case, but who knows. I was really looking forward to being able to avoid the terrible drive to NJMP...

Mike55

If NYST doesn't run hopefully they'll fill up the schedule at The Beave again. It's only half of the track that NYST is but it's only an hour and some change from me. It would further cut my cost due to the convenience and I'd still be able to get my fix while working on my skills (or lack there of). Even bad meth is still meth to a junkie :D

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

jfmgsxr750

jdel;299405 wrote: Supposedly another org is sending info out to members that all NYST track days are on hold due to the recent ruling. I'm still hoping that's not the case, but who knows. I was really looking forward to being able to avoid the terrible drive to NJMP...

That would be TPM and they are putting all the NYST days that were on THEIR schedule on hold. There weren't that many
to begin with. The tolls on the NJ TURNPIKE going to NJMP have gotten out of control. The traffic on suns coming back
from NJMP can be an absolute nightmare!!!!! Making a 3 1/2 hr trip 4 or 5 hrs!:eek: I was planning on doing 80% of my
track days this year at NYST. IF they are shut down, that will greatly reduce the amount track I do this year.

Whoever lives on the road leading to NYST has to be happy that most of that dirt road has been paved. It was to say the
least HORRIBLE!!! You couldn't do more than 10 mph and if it was wet, your car/truck and trailer would look like you went
off roading.

Mike55

I'd be thrilled if I was only 3.5 hours away from NJMP! I'm 8-9 from there and 6 from NYST and it's still well worth going without complaining. I guess everyone has a different definition of convenience. I'm just thankful that I have the ability to participate even if I have to drive that far.

Being honest NYST is the only reason I joined NESBA, Its only 90 miles from my house!!!I have already paid for 3 days and planned on doing 6-8 days there...THIS WILL SUCK IF TRUE!!!! Guess I will have to run Thompson CT. track with different org. if this holds true, time will tell...Scott Probably will sign up for a couple days at Thompson track just to have some days locked in...

jfmgsxr750;299424 wrote: That would be TPM and they are putting all the NYST days that were on THEIR schedule on hold. There weren't that many
to begin with. The tolls on the NJ TURNPIKE going to NJMP have gotten out of control. The traffic on suns coming back
from NJMP can be an absolute nightmare!!!!! Making a 3 1/2 hr trip 4 or 5 hrs!:eek: I was planning on doing 80% of my
track days this year at NYST. IF they are shut down, that will greatly reduce the amount track I do this year.

Whoever lives on the road leading to NYST has to be happy that most of that dirt road has been paved. It was to say the
least HORRIBLE!!! You couldn't do more than 10 mph and if it was wet, your car/truck and trailer would look like you went
off roading.
You say that TPM didn't have many days scheduled? They have 8 on the schedule as many as NESBA has on our schedule..If NYST does not run this will be very bad for every ORG. schedule...

Aprilia 417

I for one remain optimistic that we're running normal operations the first weekend in May at NYST, unless I arrive that morning and a Sheriff prevents me from going through the gate. The guys at NYST were savvy and cash-rich enough to construct and open a track in record speed. Their financial investment is huge, so they will spend plenty in legal fees if necessary to protect that investment. Also, the town leadership clearly sees the economic and marketing value to the track presence. TPM was convinced last year that NYST wouldn't open on schedule. NESBA took a chance and was there first and it paid off, as we laid down the first hot laps there. Keep your fingers crossed.

Mike55

Unfortunately, opening it up in record time is their Achilles heel. The first thing anyone usually does BEFORE breaking ground is secure the irrevocable right to host ALL of their planned events, present and future, without exception. Doing so allows them to have all of the legal proceedings done BEFORE people are pissed off and have it out for you. That helps to avoid the current state of affairs. An open, honest approach goes a LONG way, especially in a small community, even if it delays the opening for a year. I saw that done when they built Lake Erie Speedway here years ago. I like the track but their startup strategy for an investment this size was very short sighted and unprofessional. It's not hopeless by any means, but it was certainly mishandled. That's the reality if it. I do hope they find a way to pave a new road for the track though (that pun was totally intended) and I'd certainly help if I could (beyond going there and spending money). If not then bring on The Beave!!! :D

Poper

jdel;299405 wrote: Supposedly another org is sending info out to members that all NYST track days are on hold due to the recent ruling. I'm still hoping that's not the case, but who knows. I was really looking forward to being able to avoid the terrible drive to NJMP...
187 miles to NJMP

346 miles to NYST

What's so bad about that? :D

vzhulin

Poper;299436 wrote: 187 miles to NJMP

346 miles to NYST

Distance-wise, a very fair point... but the current schedule does not have many NJMP days. If we take away the NYST days (which I very much hope does NOT happen), doesn't leave nearly as much tracktime.

Gundamzeppelin

jfmgsxr750;299424 wrote: That would be TPM and they are putting all the NYST days that were on THEIR schedule on hold. There weren't that many

off roading.
Seriously that one up hill dirt road is a nightmare!

Poper;299436 wrote:
187 miles to NJMP

346 miles to NYST

64 miles NYST 1 hour 12 mins

285 miles NJMP 4 hours 31mins