Motard Exclusion

BadgerDog

I participated in last weekends event at NC Bike in the Novice Group with a Suzuki DR650 with street tires, had a blast, and didn't hear any objections at Tech or from any of the CRs I interacted with. I was just now ready to register for the June 24 event at NC Bike (I was signing up here, and joining as well although it's a partnered event through Evolve GT) and I happened to read the fine print that states:

MOTARD EXCLUSION

Motards are prohibited from N2 track events on all but the following tracks: Pocono - East, Summit - Jefferson(Extended 1.8 Mile), Summit - Shenandoah, Barber, Talladega GP, Summit - Jefferson(Extended 1.8 Miles), Talladega GP - Race Licensing School. Riders attempting to attend events with a motard at other tracks will be turned away during tech and registration with no credit given for the day.

I'll admit I'm uncertain what the definition of a proper Motard is, the dual sport bike I'm using has a 17" stock rear wheel, and a 19 up front. Not quite "full motard".

Am I good to attend, or might I expect problems at tech?

Appreciate any advice here, just want to be sure.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Your DR650 is fine. Where we start to get into trouble are the 450 singles (dirt bike, turned motard) on larger tracks.

Thanks for reading!

dsafonov

Hello, I just registered for a novice class event in NJ Motorsports Parks, and I saw the Motard exclusion. I have a KTM 690 SMC-R supermoto, and I heard Supermotos being referred to as Motards. Am I going to be allowed to participate in the event?

tdelegram

Control Rider
Hello, I just registered for a novice class event in NJ Motorsports Parks, and I saw the Motard exclusion. I have a KTM 690 SMC-R supermoto, and I heard Supermotos being referred to as Motards. Am I going to be allowed to participate in the event?
You'll be fine, the exclusion is geared towards 250 and 450 dirt bikes.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I am not 100% sure but my guess would be too speed and the motors would be completely wound out and stressed more than they typically are.

nick0188

I have used a DRZ400sm at PITT RACE once. On a dry day I would have a lot of trouble keeping up with the pack, but it's great for a rainy day as everyone is going much slower than usual (in intermediate anyway). My DRZ is a 434 and does 110 indicated fairly easily.