Mounting Dunlop GPA-Pros

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Just (tried to) mounted a new Dunlop GPA-Pro on my rear Marvic rim for the 750. I've mounted tons of tires - including on this rear wheel. However, this is my first GPA-Pro.

Is something else going on, or are these things just a real PITA compared to Pirellis? The tire is on, but the bead will just NOT set. I've pulled the tire off, lubed it and the rim, and started over twice now. Part of the tire bead will just not move outward and set in the rim. I'm starting to really regret trying these friggin things out. Never ever had a problem with the P tires and haven't mounted anything else in quite a while.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
The carcass of the Dunlops are much stiffer than the Pirelli. I have mounted other brands of tires before that take 50-60 psi to get them to bead. I might even suggest to put a tire warmer on it to soften the carcass a little.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Another option is to put a ratchet strap around the circumference of the tire. This will create pressure on the outer portion of the tire to help set the bead. I've used this technique when the bead wasn't seated enough and let air pass by.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Jim and Boris, Thanks! Man, those GPA-Pros must really have a much stiffer carcass! Even the street Q3s I've mounted weren't this much trouble. The funny thing is that it really wasn't any tougher to get the tire actually "on" the rim. Just getting the friggin thing to seat the bead! It took a combination of heating the tire with the warmer AND some extra air pressure to get it done. This, with a very very clean and smooth Marvic forged wheel and with both the wheel and tire pretty well lubed.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
With all this extra work it looks like you're going to drop some seconds, I have more when you're. :D

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
You have more seconds? I have plenty of my own - unfortunately. Though I will have less this year.....

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
Put them in your warmers and get them up to temp. Then throw 60PSI in them and bounce them on the floor if needed.....

When I put my set of GPA Pros on they set at about 55 PSI.....

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I just saw this but agree with everyone else.

GPA pros are the biggest ass pain to mount and get the beads to seat. I hate mounting them when they are new, doing flips are easy once they've been used a bit.