Votes: 5 15.2%
  • CCW

Votes: 14 42.4%
  • CW Day 1 / CCW Day 2

Votes: 14 42.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2blueyam

The folks in Intermediate going slow and keeping right on the exit of 4 made for a great passing place for me between 4-5 on my SV650. So keep that up, unless you want to get faster of course. Also noticed the pace being off in turn 5 as well. It is a fast turn. I am close to wide open CW on the little SV and just trail braking CCW.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Wow, what a great weekend. Very few issuas and considering it was hot as He!!, everyone rode very well.

Great breakdown. I would add that T8 is critical for 8/9/10. Saw too many people either turning in early or exiting 7 mid track and turning in from mid track. T8 is deceiving and an early turn in or turning in from mid track does not put you in the proper direction at the apex of 8 causing excessive lean angle to make T9.

bmart

Control Rider
right. What he said. I saw a few folks going straight between 6 and 7, forcing them to exit 7 angled too much to the right, or going too slow to keep it to the left/center of track. This is a late apex track, for sure!

teresa23

hi Brad,

It was hot! and so humid. It would have been a bit more enjoyable if the CRs would introduce themselves first and listen to what the rider is working on, prior to giving "coaching". Especially when unasked for.

In the INT group, there were a few times in session 3 / 4 where my tip in was so quick, as I was ahead of other bikes, that my apex was changed due to having a bike or two coming right at me to t bone me at T1. With a high, raked tail, I can tip in quicker than most.

I found that annoying - the lack of bigger bike's rider's ability to understand that they were parking their liter bike right where I was in the turn 1 hairpin apex, making for a very dangerous situation. I had no problem standing my bike up, but it was extremely nerve wracking that the liter bikes were not giving way to my line, when I was clearly in front of them. So for a few laps here and there I was obviously slower and off the race line to catch the feel of my first time on the CCW version of the track. I loved seeing the skills of the faster riders, and the lines they were taking.

I am not a racer and not interested in that type of out breaking track riding, but completely understand race lines and exits... there were numerous aggressive riders and CRs out there on Saturday and I just stayed out of their way in a few cases. I don't think they were paying attention to my body language or lines when I was in front of them. One CR in particular tested me out a lot, on the track, and was a bit cagey. It would have been nice if he had discussed that with me prior to a session, vs. pushing me out there in the track. I hope he he was happy with what he saw in me, but didn't really give me feed back so it was somewhat confusing as to why he was always following / hovering.

Could use some advice on that... but no CR was available to talk to when I looked after a 4th or 5th session, and the few that came up to me to "give advice" didn't even ask me what I as working on. (I am not interested in getting a tray seat or stuffing people to the apex in every corner... lol. Flattered for the advise though!) I received some extremely detailed and intense advice, and am somewhat surprised at the level of riding I was encouraged to practice. I think it was a bit too much all at once though. They all meant well. George was great, and really encouraging, of the three CRs who took the time to help me out. Thank you all.

The northerners in charge that day were a bit wound up with cabin fever, imo, and were having quite a fun day, but making it a bit difficult for me who was working on smooth vs. speed techniques. I know it was the first track day of the season for some of them. Glad they were there, and I look forward to catching up to their amazing skill levels. They are very skilled and inspirational!

I loved meeting some of the ladies of N2, and look forward to meeting them again!

2blueyam

Sorry to hear you were “stuffed” a few times in intermediate turn 1. That should not be happening. As a faster intermediate rider I try very hard to make sure I have sufficient margin in my braking to be able to not do that to folks. Me and the rider in front of me had to use that extra margin in turn 1 one time when we came up on slower riders getting ready to turn in. I was glad I had decided to not pass him on the brakes or it could have been ugly. Sometimes you have to look past the rider just in front of you that you are trying to pass to keep everyone safe and keep within the class rules.

bmart

Control Rider
Teresa, here's my $.02, certainly worth less, and I'm sure that others will chime in about your experience.

At a high level, if you ever have a concern, especially a safety concern, at a track day (ours or anyone else's), go to see the person in charge. It is good for you, good for the other riders, and good for the org. Please don't be shy about that. I have done that with other orgs and I can tell you that any safety issue will get addressed with N2 that day. As you may hear in many rider meetings, bringing it up after that can't produce a solution that day. We still want to know, but it is harder to fix once everyone is home and re-hydrated.

There's an inherent risk with mixing skills levels and varying vehicles. That is why the attendees are split into three groups. Still, these are not disparate. One could easily argue that it is more like a Venn diagram with the Novice and Advanced circles touching in the middle of the Intermediate group circle. You won't find folks in Novice or Advanced that should be in the other, but you can find some in either that could be in Intermediate, and some in Intermediate that could be in Novice or Advanced. There are MANY reasons for this. A few that come to mind are that a rider of a certain skill set may not have been to a specific track before, a rider could be having a great or off day, or could be (like me Saturday morning) testing a repair. There are a LOT of variables. The groups are t-shirt sizing and not static absolutes. Another important part is that NC Bike specifically allows/encourages riders (and drivers) to try different lines. Still, it is always the responsibility of the person passing to pass safely, within the rules, and to make every effort not to change the line of the person they are passing. This is not always avoidable, particularly if the person being passed turns in early, and a big reason that I prefer late entry (like street riding).

I can be only 1/2 honest about the high HP bikes with rider aids, and this is my opinion alone. As a whole it makes track days more challenging. Riders can really rely on the electronics and high HP for their lap times, regardless of potentially being in the way of more skilled riders on bikes of lesser power. Unfortunately, this is just where the sport is right now, and love it or hate it...it is here to stay. It is a gift (like the rain) or making us better at planning passes and extracting the pluses from our own vehicles and skill sets.

I hope that this wasn't me. "One CR in particular tested me out a lot, on the track, and was a bit cagey." I work very hard at a track day, normally coaching in both groups both days to help the maximum number of riders and keep safety as a priority. I believe that I pull in more than most to talk with them about safety issues (I was almost taken out getting out of the last turn on Sunday and pulled that little swerving booger in...lol).

In defense of a CR talking about things they saw, regardless of what a rider is working on, that is just part of the job. By focusing on areas to improve (whether the rider asked or not) all of the riders are kept safer. I don't think that this will/should change. I had one such discussion this weekend and the rider rode off unhappy after our talk. I felt bad, but safety will not suffer, IMO (not humble about that at all!). If you have a specific topic in mind, try to let the coach know before you go out, or interrupt them when they're talking. I would never mind and suspect that the other CRs wouldn't either. If you experienced a coach actually providing info on how to stuff another rider, I suspect that Rob would want to know and encourage you to send him a note directly or through me.

I hope that it was a good experience overall, and suspect that we can handle some of your concerns at the next one if brought up at the right time. I've ridden with you at a few track days and you looked the best this weekend, so you're doing something(s) right! :)

teresa23

lol, I would love to learn "how to stuff another rider", but just wasn't having it on Saturday. lol.
I always learn a lot, but with the heat and humidity it was a bit intense... I was so focused on really getting the feel for that track direction! I really do hope I was not pissing others off - but I know I was smooth, predictable and easy to pass if they wanted to. I feel much safer any day with the INT riders than in the NOV group. Boy, that was a huge one Saturday.

I was just griping because I did experience some INT riders who obviously were not looking ahead and calculating the apex of the riders in front of them, or considering their liter bike compared to the 600s and 400s. That was really my only anxiety. I think the CRs did a great job handling most everyone on Saturday.

I only ask for the CRs to be a bit more sensitive to the riders, especially when it's obvious that they are not on the exact race lines and are at a slower, easier to pass pace the first couple of sessions! I learned a lot and that was my first time meeting the N2 team members from the northern circuits. :) all good, and Great feedback here so far Brad! I'll try harder to track down CRs to chat with after my sessions when I need help. I appreciate those who came to me. You guyz are intimidating as hell

2blueyam

Thank you for being safe and making good decisions, 2blueyam!

Thanks. I try, but I am not perfect and still make mistakes after 13 years of track riding. I am still learning how best to make clean safe passes with less HP since I changed from my R1 to an SV650 last year. Being in intermediate was fun because I got to do more passing instead of being passed for a change. I hope to see some of you at Shenny in a week and a half.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I’ll be at both days, trying out a new super moto on Sunday back on the big bike Monday. If you need help with anything hit me up.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
They all meant well. George was great, and really encouraging, of the three CRs who took the time to help me out. Thank you all.

Thanks and glad we all were able to help you out. Hope to see you out there again. What is your next event?