Need suggestions on tire changing machines

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
I change a fair number of tires- for the five sets of rims I have for my two racebikes, and also on streetbikes, bikes I'm fixing up, etc. Probably change half a dozen tires per month. Right now I go to my friend's house on the other side of town to use his no-mar machine. I want my own.

I'm thinking pneumatic, and one that will do car/truck tires as well. There are machines all over the net for $1,000-$1,500 that will do both car and motorcycle tires. For this type of machine, 6-10 tires a month is pretty low volume, so I don't think I need a high end commercial machine. That said, I'm tired of using the no-mar variety, and I don't think they can do truck tires either.

How inexpensive can I go before I end up with something that just pisses me off all the time because it sucks? Does anybody have experience with particular machines, and better yet, can anybody get me a deal? :)

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I have the same Atlas machine D-Zum has. It can do cars, bikes, trailers. Good machine.

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
I see some motorcycle specific changers, then some car changers with motorcycle adapters. Will the motorcycle specific ones still handle the occasional car tire? they're like $500 cheaper but look similar, just with more clearance on the jaws...

bmart

Control Rider
I just use levers and a static balancer. Very quick and easy to change. Takes up no room, and aside from air to set the bead, you could do it at the track.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I see some motorcycle specific changers, then some car changers with motorcycle adapters. Will the motorcycle specific ones still handle the occasional car tire? they're like $500 cheaper but look similar, just with more clearance on the jaws...

The model I have does car and truck tires just fine. You don't actually need the motorcycle wheel adapters they give you. Just slip the plastic jaw protectors on and clamp the rim from the outside, where the jaws hold the rim while pulling "in". Car and truck wheels, the clamps hold onto the rim by pushing "out".

Nobody that's changed a tire with a real tire machine will ever say changing a tire is "easy" with levers and/or a No-Mar...lol

I would absolutely buy my machine again in a heart beat. I would also watch James Bock do his thing mounting tires at a WERA weekend...I learned a lot of great tricks from him. I don't do both beads at once like he does as I'm not doing nearly as many as he does (nor am I on a time crunch like he always is) but the technique I stole from him is inserting the two back jaws onto the rim. In a very smooth and quick motion, he presses the pedal to clamp down on the rim. He's pushing down on the rim spoke with one hand, while pulling up on the under side sidewall with the other. This gives as big a gap as possible for the clamp to fit between the tire and rim. At the very last fraction of a second, he forces the rim down and it locks into place without the clamps ever grabbing the tire itself. If you watch him, you'll see what I mean. He does it so fast and smooth it's ridiculous. You can buy a replacement all plastic duck head if you want (to avoid scratching wheels), but there's no reason to unless you are sloppy with your technique.

Two other things. Always break the sprocket side bead first (this side faces up on machine). There is zero reason to remove the sprocket carrier from the rim. Sometimes, with some rims and tires, if you break the rotor side bead first, when you go to break the sprocket side, it'll kinda push the bead back onto the rim, just enough where you can't pull it off by hand. Makes in a pain in the ass. There is also no reason to let the tire spoon ride around the rim. Peel the bead over the head, then yank the spoon out. The head will hold the bead in place. Leaving the spoon in there as the tire rotates can cause minor paint dings in the edge of the rim over time.

You will also want a quality air compressor. I love my IR and would buy it again in a heart beat. Quiet, fills quick, and more than enough to run the tire machine. It's the biggest model they make in a 110v.

https://www.amazon.com/Ingersoll-Ra...sr=8-4&keywords=ingersoll+rand+air+compressor

And get some RuGlyde from Napa for the tire mount lube. If you want a lube that will allow you to fit 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag, that's the stuff to use. Dries tacky and you won't have any problems with the tire spinning on the rim (not like you would with a SV anyways... ;) )

meanstrk

Control Rider
Here is the one I have:

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-...s/weaver-w-m807x-motorcycle-atv-tire-changer/

I actually bought mine off EBay for about $100 less. Shipped. I do my car tires, trailer tires, truck tires, etc with it. The ONL:Y down side to this machine is that, occasionally, I wish I had spent a little more and bought the model with the bead blaster built in:

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-...m894xs-motorcycle-atv-car-truck-tire-changer/

Like John says, you need a decent compressor to go with it, but if you are even considering a NoMar, then you NEED to consider something like this instead. For not much more money, you get soooooo much more capability, and at the volume you are doing changes, it is well worth it, not to mention being able to change for other riders for a fee as well. The machine will pay for itself over time.

The only change I made to mine when I got it was to replace the metal roller that was built into the duckhead with plastic insterts, found here... I bitched to the company and they sent me a couple sets for free.

https://www.derekweaver.com/bikers-...015-plastic-inserts-for-weaver-tire-changers/

If you want to come over and check mine out sometime, you are welcome to.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I have a NoMar - specifically because I wanted the best option that was also very portable. I wanted to be able to take it to the track with me, and did not want to give up valuable space in the trailer. The pneumatic changers are awesome. But they're also totally unwieldy for my purposes. That's before you also consider the compressor requirements. If it were going to stay in my shop, I'd be right there with you guys, but at half a dozen tires a month I just can't justify it. The changer gets used at the track way more than it does in my shop. I also have a hard time taking money from friends to change their tires, so there's no "paying for itself" in my future.

Question for you guys that have a pneumatic changer in your trailer - how much compressor is required? More for curiosity than anything else, but you never know down the road. I have a very strong compressor in my shop that can just about launch a space shuttle (10hp, 34cfm at 175psi) so a shop changer would be a no brainer. But a portable unit? What is the minimum "reasonable" compressor in terms of pressure and volume?

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I have a very strong compressor in my shop that can just about launch a space shuttle (10hp, 34cfm at 175psi) so a shop changer would be a no brainer. But a portable unit? What is the minimum "reasonable" compressor in terms of pressure and volume?

Holy shit Bill...how many acres does that compressor take up? LOL!!! :rofl:

The IR compressor in my post runs my tire changer just fine. I'd say it's the perfect size. I can change tires constantly and not have to stop to let the compressor catch up. It'll run, obviously, but the tire machine can't use more air than the compressor is making. My tire machine has an internal 5 gal tank which helps a lot. And the tank being vertical, it doesn't really take up much floor space at all. The issue would be the refill time with a smaller compressor.

That's a really good question though. I do have one of those little 6 gallon pancake compressors (Porta Cable) I use track side. I'm going to hook that thing into my tire machine the next time I change a tire and see if I can blow it up or not. It's rated for 100% duty cycle...which is good because it's gonna be running. :D

Obviously the two biggest issues is going to be tank capacity and time to refill it. Mine uses air to break the beads and clamp the rim, but the turn table is electric (99% of tire machines are this way). If you could break the bead with only one try per side on the rim, I bet you could change a tire with the small compressor. You'd just have to stop and let it build pressure back up, which would get annoying after awhile. And of course, hearing an oil-less compressor whine for minutes at a time in an enclosed space (garage) where the sound echoes gets old really fast. That's where having a quality, oil compressor like mine is hugely beneficial.

Portable tire changer setup is great for those with only one set of wheels when you don't have the luxury of just changing out wheels. My "must have" set up for my track bikes is getting a bit crazy. I have two complete extra sets of wheels, not counting the bike itself. So with 3 rear rims to use, I just change the rim and worry about the tire changing at home. One less thing to do at the track.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
John, I was lucky and found an auto body shop that had bought it, only put a low number of hours on it, and was liquidating equipment. Got it for about 25 cents on the dollar! It's really not that big - 100 gallon vertical tank tucked in the corner of one of my bays so it doesn't really take more room than a typical consumer garage 60 gallons unit. Surprisingly, it's also pretty quiet - the muffler on it works really well, and since it runs so infrequently I also don't get much moisture in my water trap and separator. That, plus since the compressor motor is so heavy duty it really doesn't generate much heat (again - less condensation in the air). I can run an air grinder non stop and about every 10 minutes the compressor comes on for about 20 seconds :) I have all garage bays plus my shop plumbed with 3/4" Maxline and tons of drops (http://www.rapidairproducts.com/page/maxline) so air pressure and volume is never a problem! I keep the regulator down to 110lbs normally. I can't even imagine how high the cfms are at that low pressure setting. Note to others - WATCH CRAIGSLIST! That's where I found it, and my pneumatic lift table.

I have two sets of rims per bike, but every once in a while (like rains) when we don't have track side support the NoMar has been perfect. I just throw it in the back of my truck. Takes up no trailer space. I have a mount in my shop (drilled and tapped holes in the side of my two post hydraulic car lift) so I can use it in the shop very quickly. Honestly, it's been used WAY more for other peoples tires than for mine. If I were interested in doing my truck, trailer, tractor, Bobcat, etc tires, then I'd consider a pneumatic unit, but it's just not worth it for me. If I'm changing a tire on them, I'm getting a new tire, and I may as well have my local shop do that.

LarsDunaway

Rat Boy
Staff member
Control Rider
Great information. John, I have a compressor similar to yours, runs most things pretty well. I also have three sets of rims for my SV650- one set keeps rains permanently mounted, and the other sets allow me to plan ahead for the weekend based on my needs. I also don't mind using trackside vendors from time to time if I planned poorly- gives me an excuse to go bullshit with Stickboy. I've seen him do some pretty cool things changing tires, never seen Bock do it- though he's helped me out in a pinch as well.