New from Washington, DC

Hello!

I recently signed up for my first track day on May 2nd at Summit Point, WV. I live in downtown Washington, DC and will be running my 2005 SV650S at the track. I'm looking forward to making some new friends and seeing what track days are all about. I'm at a point in life where I am ready to sell the bike because I don't ride it much on the street anymore, but having never done a track day, figured I should try it out now while I still have a bike to try it on.

I've attached a few pics of my bike. Upgrades worth nothing are upgraded front forks, ZX rear shock, and GSXR rear wheel conversion with GXSR tire sizes front and rear (Bridgestone Battlax S21). I bought the bike secondhand with about 1900 miles on it 2 years ago and I've put maybe 1000 more on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20190817_173729.jpg
    IMG_20190817_173729.jpg
    462.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190817_173805.jpg
    IMG_20190817_173805.jpg
    594 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20200707_174259.jpg
    IMG_20200707_174259.jpg
    792.6 KB · Views: 32

Shifty10

Control Rider
Welcome! There are a lot of us local to DC as well so you're in good company. You will most likely be rethinking your decision to sell once you start riding at the track!

bmart

Control Rider
Awesome sauce. Love the yellow! "You're going to love the way track days make you feel!"

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Perfect bike for the track! You will love track riding, it's a blast, and it will vastly improve your skills. Agree, stay for May 3 as well, when we are on the larger Main course! Camping at the track is free, there are showers on site. There are also decent hotels in the area.

You'll definitely meet a lot of really cool folks to talk bikes with!

If you haven't already, check out our Riders' Manual. Lots of good info regarding gear and bike requirements, and how the day is run.

Thanks for the warm welcome. I might do May 3rd too since I'll already be geared up but I hear track days are pretty strenuous, so I'm not sure if I'd get much out of the second day. One question I have is, where would I put numbers on my bike? The SV doesn't have any large, flat spots on the side or rear for numbers. The front set I was planning to stick on the windscreen.

bmart

Control Rider
I hear track days are pretty strenuous

Unless you're running near 100%, 100% of the time (racing, for instance), this can be mostly controlled by the rider. Focus on good body position, how tightly you're gripping the bars, how much you're holding your shoulder and neck muscles tight, how much weight you're putting on and LEAVING on the pegs. It can be done at significant pace (more than enough to have a hoot!) without wearing yourself out. Stretching a bit between sessions (and after the day) if you do feel tense muscles goes a LONG way.

2blueyam

With that said, Shennandoah is the most taxing track I have ever been on. That place wears me out, although less now that I have an SV650 instead of wrestling my R1 around there. Left, right, left, long left, right, right, left, weight forward to keep the front down, long left, right, left, right, left, left, weight forward to keep the front down, hard braking zone, long left, long right and that’s a lap. On the SV I can skip the moving the weight forward stuff and there actually is a straight to get a bit of a a break.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome, as most said, Monday we are at main, a phenomenal track and worth staying for, I’ll be there both days, Sunday I’ll be coaching either on my sv or ktm super moto, monday will be sv and r1 time!

1up5down

Control Rider
Welcome to the best times of your life!!!

Where in "downtown DC" are you? I'm over in "The Yards" area. Noticed the flag on the bike, Yardi?

If so, Rude and Melvin (two riders and coaches here) are gonna have another countrymen to big and mash it up with. We're gonna have to watch out, if this is so!!! Lol!

Weather and schedule permitting, I'll be on Summit Mian, May 2nd. Look forward to meeting you. Feel free to PM me on here if you want to chat prior, to get some insights.

Allen

Welcome to the best times of your life!!!

Where in "downtown DC" are you? I'm over in "The Yards" area. Noticed the flag on the bike, Yardi?

If so, Rude and Melvin (two riders and coaches here) are gonna have another countrymen to big and mash it up with. We're gonna have to watch out, if this is so!!! Lol!

Weather and schedule permitting, I'll be on Summit Mian, May 2nd. Look forward to meeting you. Feel free to PM me on here if you want to chat prior, to get some insights.

Allen

Dupont Circle. Is a Yardi someone from the Navy Yard? Never heard the term but now I feel like I'm "in the know" haha.

I'm getting excited for the 2nd and starting to prep the bike on warmer days. New battery and first startup of the year is probably going to happen this week.