New Guy From MD / PA - Ski Shoppe

JeepinBueller

Met a control rider at the Ski Shoppe in Reisterstown, MD this past Saturday -- I was working the sale. Nice to meet you and hopefully I'll be able to pop my track day cherry near in the spring time when it's still nice and cool out. Thanks for introducing me to the site.

- Josh

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Josh

Welcome! Don't wait til spring.....get that cherry busted in November! Then we can hit the slopes up all winter. I take my son up to Roundtop, Liberty, Blue Mtn, etc. NOTHING like riding on the track but it does make the winter go by faster.

JeepinBueller

Slitherin;219782 wrote: Josh

Welcome! Don't wait til spring.....get that cherry busted in November! Then we can hit the slopes up all winter. I take my son up to Roundtop, Liberty, Blue Mtn, etc. NOTHING like riding on the track but it does make the winter go by faster.
Unfortunately I'm about 2k miles past due on a valve check for the 1125 ... and it's going to be a two weekend process because it takes FOREVER to rotate the engine down out of the frame to get to the valve covers, ugh. On top of buying a new vehicle, and just moving to Gettysburg -- my plate's full right now!! Not to mention I'm on the Pilot Road 2 rubber right now ...

Wish I had the monies to get an SV650 track day beater or the like ... with my weight it'd probably be an awful choice w/o suspension beefage, haha.

Whenever you go up to the mountain send me a PM, I'll be up there ALL THE TIME.

Landshark

Control Rider
Glad, you found the site. You'll find that we are a bunch of track heads around here. I'm also sure you will find the forum full of info. We do our best to make sure the bulk of it stays informative but we do have a sophomoric sense of humor.

Don't place much thought into tires just yet. We do offer a free try the track option, that would allow you run the first two sessions in beginner and get a general idea of what is to come. Those Pilots can take you pretty far before you'll "need" to change up. After that a set of Q2s or similar hyper-sport tire is a great choice.

Welcome to your new addiction.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
JeepinBueller;219907 wrote: Unfortunately I'm about 2k miles past due on a valve check for the 1125 ... and it's going to be a two weekend process because it takes FOREVER to rotate the engine down out of the frame to get to the valve covers, ugh. On top of buying a new vehicle, and just moving to Gettysburg -- my plate's full right now!! Not to mention I'm on the Pilot Road 2 rubber right now ...

Wish I had the monies to get an SV650 track day beater or the like ... with my weight it'd probably be an awful choice w/o suspension beefage, haha.

Whenever you go up to the mountain send me a PM, I'll be up there ALL THE TIME.
Yeah, I hear ya on the move. Get all your shit sorted out and we'll see you in the spring on the track (Usually start off in early April Brrrrrr!).

SV is a good bike to start out on. Make sure you buy one fully prep'ed and not a street bike SV. Takes WAY too much money to add the needed parts to an SV. Many come with skins, clip-ons, etc. You can even find ones with suspension done for pennies on the dollar.

I will PM ya when we start hitting the slopes. I just got my ski's fixed this summer so I think I'm going to hang the board up for this year for the most part and ride the sticks a bit more. My son loves to board so I'll have to show him how to rail Old School style.

JeepinBueller

Landshark;219944 wrote: Glad, you found the site. You'll find that we are a bunch of track heads around here. I'm also sure you will find the forum full of info. We do our best to make sure the bulk of it stays informative but we do have a sophomoric sense of humor.

Don't place much thought into tires just yet. We do offer a free try the track option, that would allow you run the first two sessions in beginner and get a general idea of what is to come. Those Pilots can take you pretty far before you'll "need" to change up. After that a set of Q2s or similar hyper-sport tire is a great choice.

Welcome to your new addiction.Glad I found it?! You wrote it on my wrist!! This guy should get a commission for spreading the word, haha. I tend to over-analyze things, especially doing something so involved and technical, so thanks for taking me back a peg. I'll just be floating around here for a while trying to soak up as much info as I can.

Slitherin;220063 wrote:
Yeah, I hear ya on the move. Get all your shit sorted out and we'll see you in the spring on the track (Usually start off in early April Brrrrrr!).

SV is a good bike to start out on. Make sure you buy one fully prep'ed and not a street bike SV. Takes WAY too much money to add the needed parts to an SV. Many come with skins, clip-ons, etc. You can even find ones with suspension done for pennies on the dollar.

I will PM ya when we start hitting the slopes. I just got my ski's fixed this summer so I think I'm going to hang the board up for this year for the most part and ride the sticks a bit more. My son loves to board so I'll have to show him how to rail Old School style.
Yeah, it's definitely going to take a month or so before things settle down around here. I'm in an apartment, so I'm still trying to lock down a nearby garage to store the bike in ... found a friend's stepfather's son that lives about three blocks from me with a completely empty garage that he's willing to rent to me ... so we'll see! I really can't put any more miles on the Buell because I'm really overdue on a valve check and I'm getting paranoid until I get that done, which will probably take me about two weekends worth of time to do, haha. Basically have to take the whole damn bike apart to get to the valve covers.

I get a season pass for Liberty/Roundtop/Whitetail through the shop that I help out at (The Ski Shoppe, Ltd. in Reisterstown, MD ... go there!!), so I'm there all the time. Couple that with the fact that I'm only about 10-15 mins from Liberty now, and I'll be up there all the time. I actually used to work there as an instructor for a little while before/during college. On my Mantras that I absolutely love (wish I had them when I lived out in Aspen). Hopefully I'll bump into ya up there.