New guy looking to start track riding

Salvio

Hey, ive been riding about 6 years now on a 06 zx6r and last year i made my first big purchase before my deployment with a 10 bmw s1000rr and have been wanting to get into track riding. it was suggested for me to go up to the pitt raceway by one of the motorcycle safety guys on my base in pittsburgh and that i could learn a lot of great stuff that i would never get on the street. My first goal is to get up to the track and hopefully take one of the novice courses or whatever is best suggested for a newer guy to the track. I will probably have a plethora of questions so i hope you all dont mind haha.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Salvio, welcome to N2. You've come to the right place for sure. Looks like you're in Greensburg? If so, you're lucky. There are a bunch of other N2 folks in the nearby area for you - and PittRace is just a very short drive away. It's one of the best tracks in the country, so you'll be spoiled right from the start. We're at PittRace a number of times through the year. Getting to the track is definitely something that will both deliver a ton of fun, as well as learning more about how to ride your bike in ways that you'd just never be able to experience on public roads. Feel free to ask all the questions you like - that's what we're here for.

Make sure you start by taking a look through the riders manual at http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf . It's really an easy read and will give you a head start answering some questions you might not have even thought of.

The season is approaching fast. One thing about PittRace is that it's so popular that it frequently sells out. In order to ensure safety, there are limits to the number of riders that can attend each event - so I'd encourage you to sign up for an event as early as possible! Then also, think about the riding equipment you'll need to be on the track. The earlier you think about it the easier it will be for you to be prepared, and to make sure you'll really enjoy your day.

Hope to see you on the track!

Bill

Good morning Salvio..i will give you a brief synopsis of next few months of your life.....it won't take long before you are sitting in your ez chair, at 2 am, in a puddle of your own urine, next to a mountain of empty red bull cans, huffing a beaker of race fuel, watching track videos and figuring out ways to streamline your personal economy in order to affordmore track time...just kidding.....but not really...haha
On a more serious note, the people who run the show at N2 are really awesome and friendly, eager to help and just high quality human beings. You have chosen wisely.
Peace

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome Salvio! You're going to love this sport... I wish that I were closer to Pitt Race. I her that it is a fantastic track now that they have finished it. My profile image to the left is from that track when only 1/2 of it was done and it was still called Beaverun.

Bill has given you a great start. Ask any questions you have (gear, bike prep, track day experience, specific skills, whatever). This is a great group and folks will help any way that they can. I hope to see you out at soem of the SouthEast tracks!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Salvio! You've got the right attitude about track riding - you'll learn a lot that will make you a better/safer rider. Plus you'll have a ton of fun and meet a lot of great folks! Bill pretty much covered it. I'll just add that when you sign up, you'll sign up in our Novice class. It includes (at no extra charge) morning and lunchtime classroom sessions where various riding topics are discussed. Additionally, as a first time to the track rider, you'll be assigned a CR (control rider, coach) for the first few sessions in the morning. We try to keep it at about 4 new riders per CR. You're not just thrown out there, the CR will lead you, show you the lines, and answer any questions following the session. After that, CRs are available all day for questions/assistance. We stop at pit in at the end of each session to give pointers if we've been following riders. And you can always ask a CR for help at any time during the day.

Ask away with any other questions!

CBRtist

Hola Salvio! Great move and welcome. I especially like that the motorcycle safety committee from your base recommended it. As an N2 rep, I work with motorcycle safety that is at Dover AFB (DE) and promote track days at their events. I am even am coordinating a track tour this year for the base, so I was especially psyched that they pointed you to us. IMO we are the "University" of track days where you can get a proper education. Hope to see you around this year while you are improving your skills!

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
Salvia, I see the welcoming committee is on their game....lol. One more thing, when you get to the part of required gear, if you need anything (besides a helmet) just email support and let them know what you need. We will have a full set of rental/demo leathers this season and you can try a suit out and see what fits etc. Plus, if you only plan on doing one or two weekends a year, and if you don’t have a full leather suit, this is a cost effective way to get what you need to run a few events. However, chances are you’ll find yourself like most of us and question the morality of selling a kidney in order to fund more Track days and bling for your bike.

We also have a “Try the Track” free program where you can come out and ride the first two sessions of the day absolutely free. If you have a grin from ear to ear, you can typically pay for the rest of the day. Think of it as the dealer on the corner offering your first hit for free.

People at the track come from all walks and stages of life where you might be pitted next to a retired neuro surgeon on one side and a 18 year old landscaper or 10 year old kid on the other but at the Track we all help each other out and crack a few adult beverages when the day is done. It’s truly a remarkably diverse family of hooligans.

If you have any questions or need any help, don’t hesitate to post up. Bunch of good peep in the Pittsburgh are who would help you out in a heartbeat.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
Yeah, what they said.... Welcome to N2 Salvio!!
You’re gonna be amazed at how much fun it is to learn about going fast safely.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
However, chances are you’ll find yourself like most of us and question the morality of selling a kidney in order to fund more Track days and bling for your bike.

Just as a public service announcement - I'd caution anybody from considering buying a liver or kidney from John ....

chrisplm

Chris
Selling Kidney: Not only do you get some nice spending money for track time and parts but Instant Weight Reduction!
I think you guys might be on to something. (Now I just have to find a doctor who works for cash)