New member Hello!

arshishb

Hello all, just signed up for my first track day at the NJMP on Aug 20th. Looking fwd to have a blast! I will be riding my 02 FZ1.

I have read the NESBA riders manual & I am preparing myself & the bike accordingly.

Any sane words of advice for a noob :D

arshishb

ridelater;6123 wrote: rubber side down, if i followed that advice i would be riding w/ you on the 20th:banghead:
With my :haha: slow ass, I will definitely be keeping the rubber side down. I have been looking at the Thunderbolt track pics on NJMP's website. It looks a handful. Is it too much for someone's first track day or I am just worrying too much?

TQuig

Any track is going to feel like its too much to handle, at least for the first session. By lunch you will be wondering why you waited so long to go to a trackday! Just try to ride within your limits and don't worry about slowing anyone down. We have all been there. It is easier and safer to pass a slower "predictable" rider than an unpredictable one. Focus on the lines and smoothness. Speed will come (I'm still waiting!). New riders come in all speeds. NESBA is all about control. Regardless of how fast or slow you are at the end of the day you will leave a much better (and safer) rider!

sportbikerchic

TQuig nailed it in one. Good advice there.

Welcome aboard! Now, go raise the limit on your credit cards. You're going to need it! LOL.

arshishb

TQuig;6194 wrote: Any track is going to feel like its too much to handle, at least for the first session. By lunch you will be wondering why you waited so long to go to a trackday! Just try to ride within your limits and don't worry about slowing anyone down. We have all been there. It is easier and safer to pass a slower "predictable" rider than an unpredictable one. Focus on the lines and smoothness. Speed will come (I'm still waiting!). New riders come in all speeds. NESBA is all about control. Regardless of how fast or slow you are at the end of the day you will leave a much better (and safer) rider!
Very nice advice! Thanks! Are you going to be there on the 20th?

sportbikerchic wrote:
Now, go raise the limit on your credit cards. You're going to need it! LOL.
I hear you. Too bad there is no card that gives points for spending on track days ;)

TQuig

Unfortunately not. I am planning on being at Poccono on the 31st and the NJMP on the 9/15 (date might be wrong) date.

You are going to have a blast out there. It will feel like information overload at first but try to listen to what the CRs tell you and try to apply a little bit each session. You won't be able to become Rossi in a single day but you will amaze yourself at how many simple things have a dramatic improvement on your riding. The downside is it makes riding on the streets somewhat boring (and scarier).

Emm.Teh

+1 to TQuig's post. The CRs are an invaluable resource and I see so few people using them off the track. Ask one to lead you through a couple of laps - then they usually drop back and follow you for a couple. Next thing you know they'll be gone and you'll have to catch them at the end of the session. Here's where working with them off the track comes in handy - after the session when he/she is off the bike and has their leathers down around their waste and their helmet no where in sight you'll have no idea which one you were working with.

If you don't find them and made an impression (good or bad) they're quite sneaky and are great at tracking folks down.

rk97

TQuig;6194 wrote: Any track is going to feel like its too much to handle, at least for the first session. By lunch you will be wondering why you waited so long to go to a trackday! Just try to ride within your limits and don't worry about slowing anyone down. We have all been there. It is easier and safer to pass a slower "predictable" rider than an unpredictable one. Focus on the lines and smoothness. Speed will come (I'm still waiting!). New riders come in all speeds. NESBA is all about control. Regardless of how fast or slow you are at the end of the day you will leave a much better (and safer) rider!
SUNSCREEN. my face was fried - and putting on leathers with burnt arms and neck is NO fun.

Other than that, this is one of the best posts regarding a first TD I've seen.

I tried to keep up with other people - they're going fast, so I should be, right? guess where that got me. straight off into the grass in Turn 1! I just didn't know the track well enough.

Learn the track. Learn the race line, and stay on it. you'll be fine :)

arshishb

Thanks for the kudos guys, for some reason my thread "subscription" was not sending me emails about new replies.

Last question, does it make sense to get your own food or there will be something to purchase there? I am getting a lot of water but haven't given much thought to food.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
arshishb;9350 wrote: Thanks for the kudos guys, for some reason my thread "subscription" was not sending me emails about new replies.

Last question, does it make sense to get your own food or there will be something to purchase there? I am getting a lot of water but haven't given much thought to food.
Definitely bring water, but also get Gatoraid or some sort of electrolyte replacement. Drink after each session! They do have a food vendor at the track, at least they did at the Lightning course, and I heard it was pretty good. That being said, I always bring sandwich fixins in a cooler, along with fruit and some other snacks. That's one place to save a bit of money! LOL!

arshishb

HondaGalToo;9384 wrote: Definitely bring water, but also get Gatoraid or some sort of electrolyte replacement. Drink after each session! They do have a food vendor at the track, at least they did at the Lightning course, and I heard it was pretty good. That being said, I always bring sandwich fixins in a cooler, along with fruit and some other snacks. That's one place to save a bit of money! LOL!
Awesome, thanks for the tip!

If you see a blue BMW sedan pulling a U-Haul mc trailer, its me :D

sportbikerchic

Is it time to go yet????!

It always amazes me, no matter how many years you do this sport... that newbie giddiness before a trackday never really goes away. :D

spyda1000

for me

the best advice i got on my 1st day was: you have to go slow to go fast.
once you learn the race line the speed come EASY..
2nd don't be shy about getting a CR to show you tips...
3rd relax and HAVE FUN

Most important: leave the EGO HOME..:idea:

worked for ME just fine...:D

Kevin42

Welcome to the club! It looks like you are in a prime location for doing track days. Edison isn't far from a handful of really fun tracks.

One piece of advice I could give that is usually overlooked by first timers is...Stretch! Days before and morning of. You will find that you can move about the bike more comfortably and you will feel much better when the day is over.