New Member With a Few Observations

Off Camber

Just got back from VIR (North Course). I'm new to track days (other than a CSS class) and figured I'd check it out. I had two goals, to go out on my new ZX-6R 636 and have fun practicing my basic skills (throttle control, turn points, etc.), and not drop the New Bike!

Being new to all of this , I just have a few questions about if this was a typical trackday

1. After the Staff vehemently warns about how cold the track is, somebody drops it on the first lap on cold tires.

2. In the B group, after courteous morning sessions, all decorum is lost in the afternoon and passing in the turns is the norm.

3. About 3 B'ers go offtrack every session

4. CRs blow their engines, leaving a trail of oil for the noobs to follow.

5. Is it always this much fun? !!!:D

Being a true track beginner, it seemed to me that there were some very capable riders out there in B group. On average, about how many track days does it take to be moved up to I group?

I really liked the camaraderie of everybody there, and it seemed like a great bunch of people. A wide variety of bikes to check out. I look forward to riding with NESBA again. :cheers:

Steverino

Moving up depends on how accomplished you are. I got moved up to I on my first day. Not sure that is the norm and not sure I am that special either. I have taken some riding schools on the track (Reg Pridmore's Class not really a racing school, but a high performance riding school) so that might have helped.

devildogae

It was easy to lose grip that morning, I skipped the first session! and it's possible that person had truly cold tires + cold track = loss of traction. North is a fast course so you combine that will lots of beginners and yes you will have people going off track and such. NESBA riders are said to be more advanced that other clubs. Safety is so important though, but we push it out there according to our skill levels, and mistakes do happen. But I've been so impressed with this clubs riders. I've learned so much, and at a fast rate, but have a long way to go.

In the morning it's slower, and more cautious since it was cold and as the day progress, people tend to get faster, more confident and comfortable, but she shouldn't be passing in corners in B group.

I hadn't seen anyone blow up and oil down until Monday!

It took me 4 track days with NESBA to get the bump to "I"

I also did 1 day with Reg Pridmore's CLASS

Hope this helps

rk97

Off Camber;292509 wrote: Just got back from VIR (North Course). I'm new to track days (other than a CSS class) and figured I'd check it out. I had two goals, to go out on my new ZX-6R 636 and have fun practicing my basic skills (throttle control, turn points, etc.), and not drop the New Bike!

Being new to all of this , I just have a few questions about if this was a typical trackday

1. After the Staff vehemently warns about how cold the track is, somebody drops it on the first lap on cold tires.

Unfortunately, this is pretty common. I wouldn't say "typical." The staff cannot hold every rider's hand through each turn. As you noted, they warned people, and it's not surprising that someone ignored that warning. Hopefully everyone else saw that first crasher and wised up.

2. In the B group, after courteous morning sessions, all decorum is lost in the afternoon and passing in the turns is the norm.

I spent a whole season (10-12 days) in "B" group, and even a ninja-turtle could count on one hand how many times I observed passing in turns. That said, if you see something, say something. It's not tattling; you're just ensuring that everyone remains safe. The CR's can't see every corner at all times.

3. About 3 B'ers go offtrack every session

I remember taking a couple off-track excursions my first weekend in "B," and then maybe a couple of times later that season. 3 per session is way above the norm though. I would say more like 3 per day.

4. CRs blow their engines, leaving a trail of oil for the noobs to follow.

Yes. This happens at every event, and the CR's do it on purpose just to inconvenience everyone, and because they enjoy making costly repairs to their bikes, and potentially damaging others' bikes. :rolleyes:

5. Is it always this much fun? !!!:D

you bet your ass. If it's not, pull off the track, because you're doing it wrong. I'm not joking either. There were times I would get frustrated, and I would have to remind myself, "this is supposed to be fun. Break time." I also think people are more likely to crash when they're riding pissed-off.

Being a true track beginner, it seemed to me that there were some very capable riders out there in B group. On average, about how many track days does it take to be moved up to I group?

There is no "average," but "B" doesn't mean "inexperienced." NESBA's passing rules force you to learn 1 skill at a time. "B" group forces you to learn to pass on the brakes, and to ride without putting anyone else at risk of suffering the consequences of your mistakes. That said, everyone makes mistakes. That's how we learn.

I really liked the camaraderie of everybody there, and it seemed like a great bunch of people. A wide variety of bikes to check out. I look forward to riding with NESBA again. :cheers:

(the forum is making me post something outside the quote box)

Off Camber

Thanks for all the replies, and thanks for bearing with my somewhat tongue-in-cheek OP. I think it's commendable how NESBA stresses the safety aspect of riding, which elevates the riding enjoyment for all participants.

The only question I had to rk's response was in regards to this:

"B" doesn't mean "inexperienced."

May be I was misinterpreted, I didn't mean inexperienced riding a motorcycle (on the street), I meant new to the track.
NESBA's website states:

Riding Classifications

Beginner: This group is very structured and geared toward those who have little or no experience riding on a track.

Now if that doesn't mean "inexperienced", I don't know what does.

I talked to other riders who were in B group who had more than 10 track days under their belt. Now don't get me wrong, I'll probably still be in B group after more than that. I was just wondering if there was a way to group all the first or second time riders with a very patient CR in B group to separate them, at least initially, from the rest of B to get their bearings around the track. They should be easier to pass, and less likely to try to "keep up" with other more experienced riders.

Hey, but I'm a Noob, what do I know!:shutit:

devildogae

The slower, less experienced can line up in the right line towards the back if they should choose. Also you can ask a CR to show you the line around the track, that is what they volunteer for, to help you learn and get better. Everyone starts out somewhere right!

Sandbag

North as a hole was a little crazy on Monday. This was my 13th track day AT VIR this year & was one of the worst for BAD ridding. I'm not sure if it was due to more people coming in from different regions to get there last fix or what but if this was my first track day it well may have been my last.

The NESBA I am used too has less red flags & much less STUPID passes & as a rule the riders are better skilled then what I saw Monday. I had a guy hit the breaks in the kink on the front straight forcing me to pass in the kink :wow: .

I would like to thank the CR's I know they had there hands full trying to keep any type of order with so many riders going buck wild out there. It does not matter how many time John says it in the riders meting there is always that HERO that has to pass you at any cost.

I was given the privilege to ride Patriot A on Sunday & I was extremely impressed with how clean these guys pass & I never felt nervous or squeezed off :adore: Mike & Chris it was a pleasure trying too keep you in sight!

ducfkr

JerryC;292865 wrote: NESBA is a great organization, they do a very good job of keeping everyone safe.

+2

I have about a dozen or so track days in now, IMO, the NESBA B group i found some good smooth and FAST riders. The I group has some faster smoother riders and the A group has some Really fast guys... just my take.

I really liked the camaraderie of everybody there, and it seemed like a great bunch of people. A wide variety of bikes to check out. I look forward to riding with NESBA again.

I agree also , If you were the guy coming off the ninja? I talk to you for a while in the morning , glad you had a good time .

Come look me up here in the northeast sometimes next year...

jimmyc

Pretty much what others have said, but it took me 20 days to get to I.

If you want to shorten your time in B, make sure you go out with a plan and focus on skill NOT speed!

I spent 12 days riding around with no specific goals on the track until I rode VIR. I realized I needed to finally take the CR's advise on "how to ride on a race track' so i sold my 750, bought the TZ125 and spent the next 8 days re-learning how to track ride and guess what? Everything they said was true:D

BZ

Off Camber

If you were the guy coming off the ninja? I talk to you for a while in the morning , glad you had a good time .

Come look me up here in the northeast sometimes next year...

jimmyc

Yeah, that was me. I was hoping to do NJMP Thunderbolt next year, maybe I'll see you there.

bought the TZ125 and spent the next 8 days re-learning how to track ride and guess what? Everything they said was true

I think I got passed by a Schwinn after 14, so I'm sure you're right. Seriously though, I'm trying to learn the basics before I move on to speed. I'm having issues with the low speed throttle control on my Ninja, it feels a lot different than my SV. I'm also trying to avoid noob errors like adding throttle and lean angle at the same time. I'll work it out.

bought the TZ125 and spent the next 8 days re-learning how to track ride and guess what? Everything they said was true

I think I got passed by a Schwinn after 14, so I'm sure you're right. Seriously though, I'm trying to learn the basics before I move on to speed. I'm having issues with the low speed throttle control on my Ninja, it feels a lot different than my SV. I'm also trying to avoid noob errors like adding throttle and lean angle at the same time. I'll work it out.
The fact you know you have to work on your noob errors as you say shows you have the right mentality.

The hardest thing, at least for me, was the 3-4 days of sitting on the cusp going to I. I knew I was close based upon the feedback from the CR's. I also knew I was close because I was one of the faster B riders and thats when I started making mistakes. The CRs wanted me to polish a few items. Tighten my lines just a bit and pull off the turns harder but keep eveything else the same. For whatever reason I went out and started charging turns and trying to go as fast as possible. Of course my lines did not tighten up and even though I can come into turns really hot (for me) if you dont get on the gas and pull off the turn you havent met the objective. I also felt thet the CR's were being a little nitpicky. After all these are just a few small items right? Everything else is in place so why can't I learn it in I group? That is dangerous thinking and I had no idea until I rode in I group why the CR's need the small stuff dusted up.

I was asked by some fellow B groupers after I was bumped what it is like to ride in I group. I had a hard time answering them and still have a hard time ansering it now. BUt I basically said its "Not what you think and be careful what you ask for". Did I like it? Hell ya! But the margin for error gets way smaller and the physical and mental demands are much, much greater. So much so my first couple sessions in I were too much and I had to pit in. You blend with traffic differently, your turn in marks can or do change, break markers change, you have to use parts of the track you have never used before and still make the apex (if possible LOL). The add nobody is parking in turns (usually) and you get the idea.

When I went out focusng on turning in quicker to make the apexes and jetting the TZ leaner for power and didnt worry about speed I received the yellow sticker. It wont be long and you will too Brother.

Oh, and for any B riders who complain about being on a 600 vs. 1000's. you hav enothing to complain about till you ride a 125 two stroke :haha:

BZ

Sounds like a very atypical track day. I over-concentrate on track (slightly OCD I guess) and I'm usually good for 1 agricultural excursion (thank to Peanut for that phrase) during the day. Goal for next track day? Smooth. Consistent. Leather up, rubber down.

Off Camber

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to make a point to get the CR's help next track day. After they stop laughing I'm sure they will be able to help me with my "issues":haha:

Steverino

How I got bumped to "I":

I was riding a 990 Superduke at Summit Point in the B group for my first time ever with NESBA. I had done one Aarron Stephenson track day and two weekends with Reg Pridmores CLASS. Needless to say the Superduke is very quick in turns and out of turns but at 140 it is done. I found myself getting parked in every corner and not being able to pass the slower riders in front of me and it was tough finding a line. Started getting on the gas much earlier coming out of turns so I could get around the other riders. Did this to a control rider (yeah no signal) realized what I had done and backed off. Then he must have been following me as I took about 4 riders coming out of 9 before we were straight up and down...

After the session he promplty dressed me down for my indescretions. Then he criticized my lines, to which I responded we weren't going fast enough in turns for lines. He was right the whole time. I was wrong. Then he told me he was moving me up to I. In my first I session he had me follow him around for the lines and that helped a bunch. Had a great day and finished the afternoon on the S1000 and have not had the Superduke back on the track since.

I am the ultimate screw up and move up guy! I don't suggest this plan or endorse it. :deal