New tires for BMW S1000RR track and street use

bossman2022

Just got my 2020 S1000RR to be used primarily as my track bike, and I am a total novice on the track (one track day so far on my Ducati Multistrada V4S with N2) and I am signed up for a track day in early October and then Yahama champ school and N2 track days in mid October.

Today I was off getting some miles on the bike and getting a feel for it (and adjusting my rear sets) and managed to get a dang nail in my rear tire! Grrrr. I patched it up at the gas station and finished my ride. But I expect a patched tire is not acceptable on the track?

The tires that came on the bike are Metzler Racetec RR K3 tires which folks say are really good for the track so I was planning to just use them up. Bike only had 850 miles on it when I picked it up so tires were still good. Really only break in miles and looked new. Early 2019 date code for the rear and late 2019 for the front.

So I was gonna just get a new rear but nobody seems to have the 200/55 tire in the Metzler Racetec anywhere right now (Charlotte NC area). So unless I can find one I probably need all new tires?

So now my question is, what should I consider? Pirelli Supercorsa V3 and V2 tires can be found and I can find Michelin Power GP and Power Cup 2 tires. Since this would be primarily for track use and some street use, should I get the Pirelli or Michelin? And which is the right tire in those brands, or something else I missed in those brands?

Or is there another brand and tire to consider? I know Dunlop's are popular with N2 but when I checked I could not find the Dunlops in the 200/55 ZR17 I need right now and those are really a pure track tire aren't they? Remember I am a track novice but I want something I can grow into.

Suggestions?

meanstrk

Control Rider
Nowhere does it say that a matching set are required, so you are not obligated to change both. Dunlop Q3+ or Q4 is more than enough tire as are the Pirelli and Michelins. They are not ‘purely track tire” though the Q4 does not work well in damp conditions due to the lack of siping at the edges. The Q3+ is a sport oriented street tire that does extremely well on track And will last a bit longer. I can run a fast A group pace on any of the tires you mentioned. You can also reach out to the tire vendor for the event and coordinate to have tires done the night before or morning of the event at the track.

bossman2022

Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up getting Power Cup tires front and rear and installed them myself. Worked great on Monday for the first track day with them and I will have them at the N2 event in two weeks :)