New to forums - Pittsburgh PA

Louber

Howdy everyone!

I wanted to hop on here and get more involved with the club. N2 runs great events and has made it easy for a newer guy like me to get into this safely.

I slopped through Summit Point last month, ran Pitt Race yesterday and have done a few other days with other clubs. Riding a box stock yellow Honda F4i poached from craigslist. Very pleased with it so far.

Pretty avid rider off the track too, sport touring and dual sport riding as much as I can.

Two quick questions if anyone reads this post:

1. At Pitt Race, guys on 600s: do you grab 2nd gear going into turn 5? I used 3rd yesterday and could hold it WFO past the apex and up the hill. 2nd probably rips much harder up the hill, but it is 2 more shifts.

2. Any recommendations for a track dedicated helmet that isn't huge money? Somewhere in the 300 range is what I'm thinking.

Anyway, looking forward to running more events. If anyone in the Pittsburgh area wants to meet up for some street riding, let me know. I know a couple good loops.

Cheers!

Lou Turicik

D52

Lou - I definitely recall seeing your bike yesterday!

I ride a Daytona 675 and usually am in 2nd, though I have quickshifter so upshifting afterwards is a breeze. I'm also still in novice so I'm sure there are others here that can give you more a more detailed feedback.

Can't really help you with the helmet recommendation. My head shape pretty much forces me to wear an Arai Signet, which is definitely not $300... Wear what fits properly and hopefully has more than just a DOT sticker.

There's a group of us in the Pittsburgh area that ride the streets, including the occasional longer trek to SE Ohio or West Virginia, as well as the track. 3 of us were there yesterday! We typically attend most of West Hills Honda's Bike Nights on Thursdays at Tilted Kilt in Robinson... feel free to stop by. You can also search "Sport Bike Alliance" on Meetup or message me directly.

See you around.
Dustin

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
Like Dustin said. Safety is of the utmost importance. I've had a lot of friends pass away while riding on track. And they were wearing premium gear. It doesn't matter how much it costs. Well ok, it kinda does. But don't skimp on helmet or gloves. I've had several crashes on track, and my gear is what saved me. Find a helmet that is comfortable regardless of the cost. Try opening a bottle of ketchup without a thumb. Is it really that important to lose your job because you weren't willing to spend the extra few hundred dollars? As with everything, you get what you pay for. Just my $0.02. Be smart. You gotta pay to play.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
There are alot of deals on one year old graphics on many Snell rated helmets. Just keep in mind that you will loose a year of use as well. Helmets are only good for 7 years from build date or 5 years of use, whichever comes first. As much as I use my helmet, I might get 3 years of use before it becomes.......well, unmanageable to wear....lol. Therefore I always look for the discontinued or closeout graphics to save money. Graphics don't increase safety.

What gear in turn 5 is more of a bike/gearing specific question. find someone who is running the same gearing as you are and find out what works best for them.

Louber

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. Keeping an eye out for high end closeout helmets is a good idea.

I'll try and get out to the Robinson bike nights this summer. I live pretty close by. Likely bring my British machine also.

S.E. Ohio is the best kept secret in eastern US motorcycling. Routes 800, 78, 255, 260, 278, 374, the list goes on and on.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
S.E. Ohio is the best kept secret in eastern US motorcycling. Routes 800, 78, 255, 260, 278, 374, the list goes on and on.

But it's OHIO! No good can come from Ohio!

(waiting for responses from the Ohio crew......)

Reactions: D52

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
But it's OHIO! No good can come from Ohio!

(waiting for responses from the Ohio crew......)

Ohio has some decent roads, but nothing like WV, Tenn, NC, GA...

Attachments

• Capture3.JPG
    Capture3.JPG
    13.3 KB · Views: 3

CBRtist

f41.... my first real bike I loved... wish I kept it for track days but I let it go.

In re: helmet... former Shoei turned Scorpion. Head shape and inflatable pads FTW

and BTW... welcome!

CBRtist

Like Dustin said. Safety is of the utmost importance. I've had a lot of friends pass away while riding on track. And they were wearing premium gear. It doesn't matter how much it costs. Well ok, it kinda does. But don't skimp on helmet or gloves. I've had several crashes on track, and my gear is what saved me. Find a helmet that is comfortable regardless of the cost. Try opening a bottle of ketchup without a thumb. Is it really that important to lose your job because you weren't willing to spend the extra few hundred dollars? As with everything, you get what you pay for. Just my $0.02. Be smart. You gotta pay to play.

Well look who came out of the woodwork. Hope to see you in '17!

D52

Thanks for the tips gentlemen. Keeping an eye out for high end closeout helmets is a good idea.

I'll try and get out to the Robinson bike nights this summer. I live pretty close by. Likely bring my British machine also.

SE OH is great. Hope to see you around... and welcome.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Regarding helmets, if by comfort you mean no pressure points, I agree. A new helmet that "fits" properly is like putting your head in a vacuum bag. It is surprisingly snug at all areas. I had an Arai tech fit me and I went from a large to a medium. At first I thought "this can't be right" but after wearing it for an hour it was perfect.