New to racing

Jimbox23

Hello,

New member here. I have a 2015 daytona 675r with about 3.5k miles on it. I want to go to a track day. Should I rent a uhaul truck and trailer? I drive a Focus RS. I think the nearest track is about 2 hours from where I live and I don't really want to ride the back. Also I am very knew to racing and doing mechanic work what is the best way to learn, and what is the best way to prep my bike for the track. I plan on riding it on the street too as I have been doing as well. I just want to be able to convert it to track warrior every now and then. Is this a common thing guys/girls do?

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome!

I started my track day career riding back and forth 90 minutes each way with a backpack. It completely sucked. It beat working, but...

Trailering is much better and safer, and you can bring whatever you want with you, even a support person. Trailers can be rented from U-haul, borrowed from a friend, and you might even be able to ride share with someone here.

Check out the riders manual on the N2 site for details on prep, what to expect, and so much more.

May convert their street bike back and forth. I did for many years. But beware...once you join us, you'll want a dedicated track bike and a sugar momma to fund it all. :p

LoganJR50

I would get a tow hitch installed on your focus. Then you can just rent a uhaul motorcycle trailer for pretty cheap and haul it. As for bike prep, before my first track day I completely inspected my bike. Looking for missing or loose nuts and bolts. Check fairings, levers, pegs, exhaust, etc, what ever is on your bike, make sure it is secure and tight. Check brake pads. I just replaced them anyways to be safe and start fresh. Clean/check your chain. Check throttle . When you twist the throttle open then let go it should close quickly. Tires, if you are questioning them get a new set. Tape over your lights, head lights tail light turn signals. I used painters tape first then duck tape over that if light gets through. I leave a little extra tab sticking out with the painters tape so i can grab it and peel everything off. Remove license plate. Gas can, canopy tent, weights so tent does not blow away, a lot of Gatorade, food, chairs, tool set, small air compressor and tire gauge, bike stands, etc. Helmet, gloves, one or two piece leather suit, boots. Last year was my first year and I ended up going to over 10 track days. It is the best feeling in the world. I may have forgot some stuff but I believe thats the necessities, at least for novice group. FYI I am just a participant. Check riders manual. Also bmart was right. One season and my R6 hasnt seen the street since.

tdelegram

Control Rider
I also own a focus rs and I wouldn't use a uhaul trailer, the tongue weight will be the issue. Those are very heavy trailers. Get a single rail motorcycle trailer, much lighter and won't rip the hitch off your rs. Conversely, get a small beater truck. I wouldn't do much around converting back and fourth, you'll do it a couple of time and get tired of it. Leave it in street trim and tape the lights. In stock form members can get to a good Advanced pace or equivalent to a lower expert race pace. Save your money for tires and track time. I would suggest you do several track days and get to an intermediate pace before you actually race, you can work on you foundational skills at track days and get more time per dollar and it requires much less bike prep.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Welcome to the (soon to be) track day addiction!
You cannot beat a U-Haul trailer... but watch out for truck rentals where the miles aren't unlimited. You may end up paying nearly a dollar per mile for their trucks.
I personally used a U-Haul motorcycle trailer all last year, but have since upgraded.
Look into a light utility trailer and get a hitch on your car.
A single bike setup, with all the camping gear in the car will be more than plenty.

GeorgeB

GeorgeB
Control Rider
I towed small open trailers, one was a smaller 3 rail dirtbike trailer and the other was a wood bed trailer with 2 bikes. I towed with a 95 Saturn twincam sedan and my friends 94 Saturn wagon, both were manuals. They went from PA to Canada, Florida, Wisconsin and all point inbetween. I also has a MazdaSpeed3 that I towed with too. All worked well. However towing with the same trailers I did blowup the transmissions in a Buick Century and Ford Taurus, both were V6 automatics. so stick with a manual if you can.

Mdcoleman

Hello,

New member here. I have a 2015 daytona 675r with about 3.5k miles on it. I want to go to a track day. Should I rent a uhaul truck and trailer? I drive a Focus RS. I think the nearest track is about 2 hours from where I live and I don't really want to ride the back. Also I am very knew to racing and doing mechanic work what is the best way to learn, and what is the best way to prep my bike for the track. I plan on riding it on the street too as I have been doing as well. I just want to be able to convert it to track warrior every now and then. Is this a common thing guys/girls do?
I have a tow blazer trailer for sale that you can tow with a class one or two hitch made for smaller vehicles. They are awesome., sold my bike so I do not need it. If interested contact me at 704-574-9203. It folds up in the back and then has wheels on the bottom allowing you to push out of the and loading ramps.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Logan covered everything really well. But, here's a the link to the Riders' Manual: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/07/N2-Riders-Manual_v2.0.6.pdf

Do check your chain, one thing we see frequently at tech is that the chain is too tight. See what the range should be and adjust it to the looser side of that range. Your suspension works much harder at the track and if the chain is too tight it "binds up" the suspension.

You will learn a ton, meet a bunch of fantastic trackday junkies, and have a blast! Definitely work with the CRs (Control Riders). We're in the orange shirts/vests. We're here to help you learn!