New to the experience

Andy

Hey all I will be attending the June 17th ATP day at PiTT. I will be getting there from Cincinnati where I live and want to know will there be a bike inspection that night(Fri) or just the 7:00 AM in the morning (Sat)? This is my first time on a road track plenty of MX days but not this. Looks like it will be a ball. Anyone out there help me on pressure settings on my Q3's for my CBR600RR I hear 32 front and 29 rear cold.

2blueyam

I don't believe there is any formal tech, but if you ask around I am sure a coach would be happy to go over your bike Friday evening.

If you can't find a coach, I am sure someone like me who has been doing track days for 10 years will be happy to check it over. Either should be well enough to give you are really good shot at making it cleanly through tech in the morning. Tech isn't anything to be nervous about, it is for everyone's safety including yours.

Andy

thanks I have been through tech in my car but wasn't sure if they had one at night. Cya there

bmart

Control Rider
Holiday Inn Express whenever we can so that we can load up on cinnamon rolls in the morning!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! If you haven't already, please read through the Riders' Manual. It'll tell you what you need to pass tech, gear requirements, and much other mandatory information. http://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/N2-Riders-Manual-Ver.-2.0.1.pdf
As mentioned above, there isn't tech the night before, but someone could look over your bike Friday evening to ensure all will go smoothly at tech in the morning. Tech opens at 7 and closes promptly at 8, with a riders' meeting at 8:15. After the general riders' meeting, the novice class goes to the garage to get further instruction.

I think those cold settings for Q3s are fine. I've heard 30/30 cold.

As far as hotels near PittRace....the Park Inn by Radisson in Beaver Falls on Rt. 18 is the closest. It's decent. Any of the smaller hotels in that area on Rt 18...not so much....stay away! LOL. Otherwise, there are plenty to choose from an exit down the turnpike in Cranberry, but it's 20-30 mins from the track.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Welcome! Like Judy said, the Riders Manual will tell you quite a bit. If you want to ease any concerns, I'd be happy to go through the tech Friday evening just to show you what we look for and what to expect on Saturday morning. You can find me up at the top of the hill in the garages near the flagpole. I'll be in the garage closest to the track.

Bill

Andy

Thx all for the reply. I have gone through the manual and I did all of the items it asked for. Should be a no brainer. Do they allow portable generators to run so I can have electricity to heat my tires? Unfortunately it is not a Honda so it is a little loud but I am just running it for :45 min

Andy

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Andy, I've heard 30/30 cold for the tires also - Q3's always get you a few different answers, but all of them are grouped around that range. Also, you'll get a lot of discussion about Q3s on warmers to begin with. A lot of tire techs advise not using warmers on Q3s - they're a great tire but they are a different construction and set of compounds than race tires. They come up to their operating temperatures very quickly. I know I don't use warmers on Q3s if I have them on my coaching bike. Just my 2 cents.

As far as the generator - no problem with generators in the pits. Try to be considerate to the folks near you by positioning it somewhere that it creates the least noise for everyone else.

Look forward to seeing you at the track!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yeah I wouldn't bother with warmers with Q3s. Just take it easy the first couple of laps to get heat in them amd you're good to go.

rob92

Control Rider
N2
Welcome, Andy. Also, if you're doing the ATP, it's actually easier not having warmers. We move "a lot" during the day from classroom, to track, to classroom, to drills in paddock, to classroom, to track, etc.