New to the track. Advice please!

GS500rider

Hi guys, my first track day is coming up april 2nd. Any advice for what to bring, just anything I need to know before showing up? Just curious how many younger people are out there on nesba, because I'm 16. Just wanted to know if I would be the only one or not. Well any advice would be greatly appreciated. :D

geckert

Bring a good lawn chair that is comfortable and food. I forgot them on my first TD and it sucks standing around or sitting on your bumper for 40 minutes between sessions. There is a list of waht to bring in the rulebook if you look for it. Have fun at RA!

Here it is. http://www.nesba.com/Info/Downloads/manual.pdf
NESBA Riders’ Manual
WHAT TO BRING TO THE TRACK
o Registration information (membership card, photo ID, and e-mail
confirmation, which is e-mailed five days prior to the event)

o Tools may be necessary. Don’t rely on others to have them. If you plan
on working on your bike to get it dialed in, bring whatever other
equipment you need, including a service manual.

o Food for lunch and lots of beverages (non-alcoholic). Water, Gatorade,
etc. are good for keeping you hydrated on hot days. You can dehydrate
very quickly if you don’t drink plenty of fluids throughout the day. Stay
away from caffeine.

o Your own gas (5-10 gallons extra)
o Money for gas (if available)
o Canopy to stay out of the sun
o Spare equipment
o An open mind and willingness to learn
**Tire changing is not always available
PERSONAL EQUIPMENT NEEDED
o Helmet, undamaged, full-face DOT, SNELL, or European standard
approved, with eye protection. No flip-up helmets allowed.
o Leather or textile riding suits (i.e., Cordura, Kevlar, or Aerostich-type).
No textile suits will be allowed in the Advanced group. Two-piece
suitsmust zip together; full circumference is required.
Airmesh-style suits (where you can see your skin through
them) will NOT be permitted.
o No jeans allowed. Rental leathers are available.
o Sturdy over-the-ankle leather boots
o Leather gauntlet-type gloves
o Back protector (strongly recommended)

Garrison

You might be the only one under 18, but don't worry about it; think of it like this, you're on the track a few years before most of us found it.

And you will probably top out your GS500 on the straits of RA, but work on your corner speed and exit, that's where your speed will come from.

Good luck dude!

Cliff#11

Don't forget the key to your bike!!! This one time at band camp.... ya.. Got all the way to VIR.. Unloaded... No key.

GS500rider

Cliff#11;115013 wrote: Don't forget the key to your bike!!! This one time at band camp.... ya.. Got all the way to VIR.. Unloaded... No key.
Hahaha, I did the same thing! I had my DR200 in the truck. Got all of the way to Durham town. Then realized I had no key. I was ready to bust the ignition out! :banghead:

ERB68

Here is a pretty good list .....

TRACK DAY CHECK LIST

BRING TO TRACK

□ Bike key
□ Lock keys
□ Contact info
□ Sunscreen
□ Change of Clothes
□ Hat
□ Sunglasses
□ Ear plugs
□ Leathers
□ Raingear
□ Helmet
□ Extra Helmet Visor(s)
□ Gloves
□ Boots
□ Back Protector
□ Gas
□ Tools
□ Tire Pressure Gauge
□ Duct Tape & Zip Ties
□ Safety Wire
□ Loctite
□ Service Manual
□ Chain Lube
□ WD-40
□ Windex
□ Spray Polish
□ Hand Cleaner
□ Rags
□ Bike stand
□ Tire Warmers
□ Extra clutch and brake levers
□ Footpegs
□ Pedals
□ Chairs
□ Canopy
□ Camera
□ Cooler
□ Snacks
□ Water

BIKE PREP PRE-TRACK

□ Tire Condition (wear)
□ Brake Pads (wear)
□ Brake Fluid Level
□ Chain; Adjust & Lube
□ Sprocket Condition
□ Valve Caps
□ Check Bolts (loose?)
□ Oil Level
□ Levers Adjusted
□ Throttle Play/Snaps Closed?
□ Check for Leaks
□ Bodywork Securely Fastened
□ Mirrors/Turn Signals Removed or Taped
□ Taillight Disconnected or Taped
□ Coolant catch tank/bottle

zman

Cliff#11;115013 wrote: Don't forget the key to your bike!!! This one time at band camp.... ya.. Got all the way to VIR.. Unloaded... No key.
:haha::haha:

I would break some stuff if I did that...probably drag my bike behind my car like that guy last year! :box::doh:

AU_R1

Be prepared to spend ALL of your free money on tires and trackdays. Dates are overrated in high school anyway, wait till college, they put out easier.

GS500rider

Thanks for all of the replies! I have one significant problem though.... I have no leathers or boots. (Got a speeding ticket....... 345 dollar fine :/) I saw you can rent leathers. Can you rent boots, or are they required??

Yes you can rent leathers AND hell yes you have to wear boots? You think flip flops or sneakers are going to pass tech? LOL!

NESBA has a strict "NO Squids" policy:rtfm:

I do believe boots and gloves can be rented as well.

What you want to do is e-mail NESBA at: info@nesba.com and ask for clarification on the boot/ suit rental and what date you'll be heading to the track. In addition, the information is in the NESBA manual here on the site somewhere...were is the link:notsure:

Have fun brother.

BZ

JRA

GS500rider;115123 wrote: Thanks for all of the replies! I have one significant problem though.... I have no leathers or boots. (Got a speeding ticket....... 345 dollar fine :/) I saw you can rent leathers. Can you rent boots, or are they required??

You will need to contact member services ahead of time to arrange for leather and/or boot rentals.

info@nesba.com

rk97

i safety wire my key to my bike before leaving. I also used to have my spare key wired to my tool box at all times for just such an occasion :)

To be honest, i'm pretty confident that someone at the track would know how to hot-wire a bike if someone forgot their key - but refilling the tank w/o the key can be a bitch and a half!

As far as what to bring your first day (that others haven't mentioned):

- open mind and humble pie

- lots of water

- sun screen (maybe wishful thinking, but i got buuuuurrrrnnnt)

- masking tape

- any tools specific to your bike (there's a high probability that your pit neighbors will have much more complete tool sets than most 16yr olds, but if your bike requires a deep-well thin-wall 18mm socket and 10" extension to change spark plugs, you probably want to have those with you...)

I also wish i'd had a pen and paper to take notes. not so much about riding stuff, but just people's names, etc. so I had remembered who to thank on this board the Monday after my first weekend :D

sheepofblue

ERB68 has a good list but I would add an air gauge.

Take that and tailor it to your needs.

As for boots while you don't have race boots do you have over the ankle leather boots? Is so they should meet your needs temporarily but I would recommend you duct tape the laces.

I am unsure of the rules but given you are under 18 be sure you have any forms/waivers from a guardian that is required (if they are not coming).

While you should not depend on it I am sure that those near you can be helpful on tools and loaner stuff (I lent my rear stand for a quick tire change last time out myself). Always return stuff to the person you borrowed it from personally and say thank you, ensures the second bit of help will also be available.

nickmick

rk97;115170 wrote: - any tools specific to your bike (there's a high probability that your pit neighbors will have much more complete tool sets than most 16yr olds, but if your bike requires a deep-well thin-wall 18mm socket and 10" extension to change spark plugs, you probably want to have those with you...)
i honestly had a dream last night that I was at putnam unloading my bike. I knew i needed tires. and i forgot my axle nut sockets. 25mm and 30mm. i wasn't happy.