New to this site and need advice

Yamaslow

What’s up fellow track day and racers! Started track day riding at palm beach international raceway this February and have had the bug since. Every month I’m going to the track and have been learning tons. I’m currently back of the pack at A group (just jumped up from B this past weekend) want to better my BP and don’t really see how I can focus on that much when I’m at the track. What do you guys think about me hitting an empty parking lot suites up of course and practice my BP to the point that I’m very loose on the bars and scraping knee? Anyone goes out and practice or just save it for the track? Here’s a picture of my bike. Adjustments.JPGAdjustments.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Can't say that I've practiced anything other than slow maneuvers, u-turns, and emergency braking in parking lots. It's possible, I suppose, as long as the surface is relatively smooth and clean and there are no obstacles to hit. I'm not sure I'd be comfortable trying to get sufficient speed to drag a knee in a parking lot.

Personally, I've only worked at it at the track. I'm not sure why you say you can't focus on it at the track? The track is the best place to focus on any skill, especially body position. Have a plan. Go out each session with one or two things to work on. Scraping a knee will happen when your body position is good and you have sufficient corner speed. Don't focus on dragging the knee. From your pic above, I'd suggest lowering your chest further and bending the inside elbow. Make sure your head is where your mirrors would be. If you are in the proper position, your outside arm will be relatively straight and resting on the tank. Put your inside foot's toes/balls on the end of the pegs, foot turned out at a 45 degree angle, and your crotch back off the tank by about the width of your fist. Outside leg lock into the tank. (keep your spine in line with the tank, that is, don't rotate around the tank).

Have you taken a track school? Highly recommended.

Also, check out Ken Hill's podcasts - a wealth of information. khcoaching.com then click on podcasts. It's how I stand the winters here in the northeast.

Also, if you're on FaceBook, look for Yamaha Champions Riding School. They have some instructional clips as well.

Welcome!

Yamaslow

Thanks for the advice man. Love me some Ken Hill podcast lol no homo. I will definitely lower my chest and work on those points that you made. The only school I did was when I did the novice trackday and they had a free class for those who were new to track riding.

Kruizen

Control Rider
Sure you can, radius equals speed. Still do this every now and then for grins and giggles.

It’s easy to get a knee on the ground; set up a 40’ diameter circle or 1/2 circle, I used to use tennis balls cut in 1/2 as cones. You can run them over all day long and they bounce back.

while I’m not a fan of the total control program, If you look in his book he diagrams some drills using the 40’ circle.

Yamaslow

Sure you can, radius equals speed. Still do this every now and then for grins and giggles.

It’s easy to get a knee on the ground; set up a 40’ diameter circle or 1/2 circle, I used to use tennis balls cut in 1/2 as cones. You can run them over all day long and they bounce back.

while I’m not a fan of the total control program, If you look in his book he diagrams some drills using the 40’ circle.

So your in favor of parking lot practice? I’ll have to do the tennis ball thing you said sound interesting

tdelegram

Control Rider
Couple things come to mind:
1. If your struggling to maintain a good bp at a track day your most likely not focusing on it, rather you’re trying to go fast and focused on that. Try dialing back to 80% and intentionally focusing on bp.
2. You might not have good references like forearm on tank, bend inside elbow..... setting up report cards on bp can be done with the bike on stands. Then next time you’re on track you’ll know what to feel for and if you’re in a position you should be in. Again dialing back pace a little helps focus on this and create the muscle memory.
3. Your idea of parking lot riding is fine, I would recommend you do it with Something like a crf100 set up for cart tracks. You’ll most likely attract the attention of the local law enforcement with a full size bike and be asked to leave. Definitely find out who owns the parking lot in advance and try to secure permission and get some documentation to prove you’re allowed to be there.
4. Practice bp on the street, no need to drag elbows and knees but you can practice getting off the bike without breaking the law and endangering others.
5. Look at photos and see what needs modification and practice more.
6. Try ant ATP class or ycrs, both can help hone your bp.
7. Grab a Cr and ask them to follow you a session and tell them what you’re working on so they know what to look for. We will coach anyone who asks in any group, we want to see you all get better.

Tom

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Parking lots near me seem to always have cars parked in them and too many damn light poles to hit, lol. I did practice a bit on my Z125. Can't on the track bike, actually, it's not street legal and I'd feel kinda stupid towing it to a parking lot. LOL :rofl:

Yamaslow

1. If your struggling to maintain a good bp at a track day your most likely not focusing on it, rather you’re trying to go fast and focused on that. Try dialing back to 80% and intentionally focusing on bp.
2. You might not have good references like forearm on tank, bend inside elbow..... setting up report cards on bp can be done with the bike on stands. Then next time you’re on track you’ll know what to feel for and if you’re in a position you should be in. Again dialing back pace a little helps focus on this and create the muscle memory.
3. Your idea of parking lot riding is fine, I would recommend you do it with Something like a crf100 set up for cart tracks. You’ll most likely attract the attention of the local law enforcement with a full size bike and be asked to leave. Definitely find out who owns the parking lot in advance and try to secure permission and get some documentation to prove you’re allowed to be there.
4. Practice bp on the street, no need to drag elbows and knees but you can practice getting off the bike without breaking the law and endangering others.
5. Look at photos and see what needs modification and practice more.
6. Try ant ATP class or ycrs, both can help hone your bp.
7. Grab a Cr and ask them to follow you a session and tell them what you’re working on so they know what to look for. We will coach anyone who asks in any group, we want to see you all get better.

Tom

Got it. My friend is a cop in the same city I live in and he told me about the industrial place that has a lot of room and that I should be ok to go practice. Guess I have another excuse to buy another bike lol. No street riding for me anymore. To many motorcyclist dying in south Florida. Strictly track junky

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to N2! Nice pics, I wouldn't practice on the street but that's just me, there's always something to focus on each session. Take that approach and I think you'll be fine.

bmart

Control Rider
Parking lot? Yeah...no.

What do you mean by "want to better my BP and don’t really see how I can focus on that much when I’m at the track." I'm under the impression that is what track days are specifically for.

Yamaslow

Parking lot? Yeah...no.

What do you mean by "want to better my BP and don’t really see how I can focus on that much when I’m at the track." I'm under the impression that is what track days are specifically for.

Body position as I’m sometimes gripping the bars and need to engage my core and leg muscle to soften my handle bar grip. I might go back down to B group to focus on that. Or should I stay in A group and practice this?

Yamaslow

Welcome to N2! Nice pics, I wouldn't practice on the street but that's just me, there's always something to focus on each session. Take that approach and I think you'll be fine.

Thanks man, I’ll end up skipping the parking lot and save it for the track. People tell me I’m to hard on my self. Riding track for 6 months and street which I don’t anymore for 2 years. Guess just got to let it “come to me”

bmart

Control Rider
It sounds like you're over thinking it. You can have good body position anywhere you ride. You aren't going to have the same sensations rolling around a parking lot as you will have at speed, full lean, etc. Personally, I don't think that they will translate. Smarter people should chime in.

Pick one thing to focus on each session, and go out last so that you have some open track. I suggest things like: 1) your contact/pressure points on the bike (I use light on bars, heavy pressure thigh on outside of tank, stabilization with feet), 2) where you are looking and when you are looking there (early), 3) your ability to move on the bike without upsetting the chassis. Start there...and get time with a coach!

As a coach, what I see from riders consistently are (in no order but many are related):
-weight on/off seat upsetting suspension (you'll never "feel" comfortable and there is a risk of crashing)
-much less hanging off than they think (look at pics of yourself, if you can see dash and your butt is on the seat, you're in the middle and carrying more lean angle than you need to)
-much more lean angle than they think (dangerous and frequently related to not hanging off the bike)
-constant adjustment of direction with inputs at lean (danger for tire grip and to other riders)
-body/head aligned with bike instead of to the inside/forward
-tight grip on bars, frequently hanging on them to stay on bike (potentially causing front tire to give up and subsequent crash)
-not looking far enough ahead (once you start looking far enough ahead, you wil be amazed at your later braking, earlier acceleration, and faster corner speed)

These types of things affect the package (bike/rider) differently and vary from track to track. This is why you need the whole toolbox to be proficient while going from track to track and in varying conditions. CMP, VIR South, and NC Bike really reward looking far ahead. CMP will require smoother inputs and being lighter on the controls compared to Road Atlanta.

Yamaslow

It sounds like you're over thinking it. You can have good body position anywhere you ride. You aren't going to have the same sensations rolling around a parking lot as you will have at speed, full lean, etc. Personally, I don't think that they will translate. Smarter people should chime in.

Pick one thing to focus on each session, and go out last so that you have some open track. I suggest things like: 1) your contact/pressure points on the bike (I use light on bars, heavy pressure thigh on outside of tank, stabilization with feet), 2) where you are looking and when you are looking there (early), 3) your ability to move on the bike without upsetting the chassis. Start there...and get time with a coach!

As a coach, what I see from riders consistently are (in no order but many are related):
-weight on/off seat upsetting suspension (you'll never "feel" comfortable and there is a risk of crashing)
-much less hanging off than they think (look at pics of yourself, if you can see dash and your butt is on the seat, you're in the middle and carrying more lean angle than you need to)
-much more lean angle than they think (dangerous and frequently related to not hanging off the bike)
-constant adjustment of direction with inputs at lean (danger for tire grip and to other riders)
-body/head aligned with bike instead of to the inside/forward
-tight grip on bars, frequently hanging on them to stay on bike (potentially causing front tire to give up and subsequent crash)
-not looking far enough ahead (once you start looking far enough ahead, you wil be amazed at your later braking, earlier acceleration, and faster corner speed)

These types of things affect the package (bike/rider) differently and vary from track to track. This is why you need the whole toolbox to be proficient while going from track to track and in varying conditions. CMP, VIR South, and NC Bike really reward looking far ahead. CMP will require smoother inputs and being lighter on the controls compared to Road Atlanta.

Thank you your help bud. Where I currently stand is I believe I have good sight as looking ahead and late braking and trail braking into the corners. What I noticed is seems that I’m afraid to pass a certain lean angle than I’m comfortable at in resulting to trail braking to long to position my bike and lean angle that I’m comfortable at. In other words I know I can go faster in those turns but my mind doesn’t let me. I feel like I won’t be able to hand on and not wanting to grip the bars as I want them to be loose. Guess I just got to say F it and go for it. That’s the only way I see to break my barrier.

chrisplm

Chris
Welcome!

1. If your struggling to maintain a good BP at a track day your most likely not focusing on it, rather you’re trying to go fast and focused on that. Try dialing back to 80% and intentionally focusing on bp.

This is a great point Tom brings up. We need to put the ego of trying to go as fast as we possibly can every session and back off the pace to learn/try new skills.
When you are able to perfect those skills then apply them at pace... your pace actually gets faster, even if it doesn't feel like it. Think about retraining your body and mind at the slower pace, then you can apply it more naturally at the faster pace.

As far as BP tips, all of the above advice is true. I'll add one more thing based on your picture and comments that really helped me---Think of holding the inside grip like a screwdriver (not like a hammer) This helps get the inside elbow out, head down and outside arm on the tank.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Yamaslow

Welcome!

This is a great point Tom brings up. We need to put the ego of trying to go as fast as we possibly can every session and back off the pace to learn/try new skills.
When you are able to perfect those skills then apply them at pace... your pace actually gets faster, even if it doesn't feel like it. Think about retraining your body and mind at the slower pace, then you can apply it more naturally at the faster pace.

As far as BP tips, all of the above advice is true. I'll add one more thing based on your picture and comments that really helped me---Think of holding the inside grip like a screwdriver (not like a hammer) This helps get the inside elbow out, head down and outside arm on the tank.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Thank you. The 27th is my next track day. I’ll keep you guys posted

Lots of great advise here. There is alot of YCRS influence withN2. The CR's are the best and very willing to help. Many of these folks are guest instructors at YCRS. Invest in yourself and do a 2 day school at YCRS and then go back to the track.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I used to break a track day into 2 pieces. The morning was to work on specific issues like better lines, body position problems, suspension tweaks, problem corners. The afternoon was to try to pull it all together for a complete session. In the morning I didn't care about getting passed, in the afternoon I would do my best to go well....