New Tow Vehicle MPG

Motofun352

Control Rider
Wow Tom, somethings not right. My lifetime mileage is 9.8 mpg with my F350 diesel dually. About 45000 miles of it's current 50,000 is pulling my THer which is about the same as yours regarding size/weight. I rarely go over 75 mph but am always at least 65 on the Interstates.

Kurt_Orban

Wow Tom, somethings not right. My lifetime mileage is 9.8 mpg with my F350 diesel dually. About 45000 miles of it's current 50,000 is pulling my THer which is about the same as yours regarding size/weight. I rarely go over 75 mph but am always at least 65 on the Interstates.
Maybe gearing has something to do with. This shit gets complicated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

tdelegram

Control Rider
Jack I think I am averaging 5 to 10 mph faster than you and my truck has a more aggressive engine tune. We have the same motor and turbo but with my added hp and torque I have to be burning more fuel. Also running an3.83 rear end.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Sounds like wiring up your trailer for 30 amp service with a roof top A/C unit, 13.5k BTU unit would really make a big difference in your comfort while at the track!

Kurt_Orban

Sounds like wiring up your trailer for 30 amp service with a roof top A/C unit, 13.5k BTU unit would really make a big difference in your comfort while at the track!
Yeah I hope to do that. Right now I'm just trying to find time to instill all of my pitbull wall hanger stuff. Got two of everything for stands, TRS, and suits. I have a difficult time getting to it since I havent decided where I want to hang all that stuff. Analysis Paralysis. Prolly gonna go with the TRSs at the back, stands, then suits. Half on one side, half on the other. But then I change my mind and want to put it all the left side and leave a wall for other shit like table canopy etc. I'm chasing my tail and spinning tires in mud as usual.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
My old build was actually pretty good for my first time doing it. Not many things I would change, but the big thing I would change is not using a useless floor A/C unit and getting the big roof top one instead. Not only would it be far more effective, it also clears up floor space.

#1 rule of trailer layout - if you can get it off the floor, do it! Floor space is, and will always be, the premium.

https://forum.n2td.org/index.php?threads/otto-man-begins-an-enclosed-trailer-journey.23223/

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
John is right - floor space and efficient use of space is critical. One other thing - don't forget load balancing. You don't want to put all the weight in the very back of the trailer - you'll have too little tongue weight and stability will be negatively affected. I have 4 TRS mounts in my trailer. When I'm hauling less than 4 bikes (plus the Zuma) I move them around to disperse the weight for better hauling.

Try to make max effective use. Here's a pic of my setup. The tool chest on the left is mounted to the wall by brackets I made that allow it to be easily removed and rolled out if necessary. However, the gap in those brackets when the chest is there provides a perfect place for my folding table to slide into behind the chest for storage and travel. On the left (or toward the back of the trailer) side of the tool chest I can secure my 10-15 pop up during transport. The counter in the front allows the plastic containers to be stored underneath - along with tire warmers, etc. The depth of the drawer I added later under that counter (not shown in the pic) allows for two complete containers to go in under it. The hanging rack to the right of that counter allows me to hang 3 sets of leathers plus some other stuff - with folding chairs inserted during travel and the broom in the very back corner. The aluminum holder mounted on the right keeps lube, WD40, cleaners, plastic polish for face shields, and latex gloves all easily accessible but out of the way. I spent a lot of time with rough drawings, a tape measure, and painters tape figuring out what I wanted before I mounted a single thing. I Obviously I have a lot more room so I could dedicate the front like this, but it really works.IMG_0542.jpg

Kurt_Orban

Bill,

Yeah I'm headed in that direction. I've got all my tools up front with the same costco boxes with all my backup stuff like towels, bedding, fluids, and spare bolts, bar ends, rearsets etc up front.

Main thing is where I'm gonna be drilling all the holes in the walls for the wall mount stuff which wigs me out because I dont wanna mess up, change my mind, and have abandoned holes everywhere. I like symmetry, and I might put everything in the trailer like a mirror, with clothes, bedding, track gear and tools up front, and one table and chair each side in the back, with the trs and pitbull hangers on the left and right respectively.

Wish I would've taken your advice about the 8.5x16, that little extra space would be nice to put fuel jugs, tables, and random stuff on the walls making these decisions a little easier.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
It gets said all the time, always take the trailer size you think you really need... then get the next larger size. Still, a 7x16 is more than comfortable for 2 bikes, a pit bike, and associated gear. Take your time planning the layout and it'll be fine.

tdelegram

Control Rider
It gets said all the time, always take the trailer size you think you really need... then get the next larger size. Still, a 7x16 is more than comfortable for 2 bikes, a pit bike, and associated gear. Take your time planning the layout and it'll be fine.
Stop messing around bite the bullet and get a toy hauler Kurt. You’re just making a nice trailer for someone else.

JBowen33

I have a 2015 Ram 2500 4x4 with the 5.7L hemi. I tow a toyhauler 24 feet with everything including bike gear etc around 8500 pounds. Unloaded I get 13-14mpg. Towing I
average 9-11 and worst I saw going to Pitt from Philly 7-9 mpg on the turnpike but I was also towing 75-80 mph with the cruise control on.

Diesel is nice if you need it but if you can swing not having it I think that’s the way to go at least for me. I’d love the extra torque but the added costs and the extra dollar per gallon is a turn off .

Also just in my opinion no matter what you get your going to have horrible gas mileage. Just the price we pay towing trailers. I much rather give up a mpg or two to have a pleasurable towing experience. Best thing I ever did was upgrade from a 1500 to a 2500 series pick up.