Newb in AZ

Nikwho

Hello all,
My name is Nik. I'm new to the forum and to track days. I have been bitten by the bug. I recently traded my KTM enduro for an '03 Honda CBR954RR. It's a super fun bike, that I am excited to get on the track. HOWEVER, with that said, I have been doing a ton of reading, and want to find a smaller cc bike. I'm kinda thinking about a KTM 390 Duke! It's not an RC390, and there are probably other bikes that are more reliable and cheaper, but the heart wants what the heart wants! I'll keep the 954RR. I hear that it's a great track bike. I just want to learn to go fast on a bike less likely to step out and high side me!

I broke in my new tires on a 150 mile ride through Sedona and Jerome, AZ today. Lots of twisty roads, and lots of brand new asphalt all along Oak Creek. It was cold though!

I'm excited to have found this site! My first track day is next Sunday, March 8th. I'll take the 954, and ride cautiously. Track day is put on by DRRO (Desert Riders *something Organization) at Arizona Motorsports Park (AMP), in Litchfield Park, AZ. Anywho, good to be here. I'll be searching and reading posts throughout the forums for a few days, but I am sure that I'll end up with some questions!

Motofun352

Control Rider
You'll be fine, just check your ego at the gate. As usual, good gear, good tires and listen to the coaches...ask questions if it's not clear.

Nikwho

Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for a good clean fuel injected R6. I'd still like to pick up a little Duke 390.

I am hopeful to get involved in some club level racing. Need to figure out the best bike to get involved in racing with. So, I won't rush into buying anything just yet.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Unless you’re under 150 pounds I would stay away from the KTM 390s and a lot of the small bikes, even with Suspension work the frames are too light support heavier riders and you end up with a lot of frame and fork flex that doesn’t inspire confidence. If you’re in the market for a low hp bike get an sv650.

Nikwho

Not looking for something particularly low in HP. that's interesting to hear about the little Dukes! I'm far from a small guy! I'm 6'2" 230 lbs!