Newbie looking forward for his first track experience

Sri23

Hello All,

I am Srinath from suburbs of DC (well, originally from India), 26 years old and a 6 year riding experience

I am going to Pitt Race (Wampum, PA) on 08/18 for my first ever track experience. My experience with bike riding is good but I don’t have any street riding experience in the United States. I want to start doing that but certainly do not want to start on the streets after spending 3 years without riding one. I also signed up for ATP and renting a bike (I was told it’s a Ninja 250) and gear as well from N2.

I am not sure what to expect from ATP or track day in general. But I am coming in with a lot of expectations (say, being able to ride with more than a 45 Degree bent angle).
I have been watching a lot of track day videos to get my expectations low but they are only helping me getting more anxious.

What is the realistic expectation on bike control after your first track day ? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Srinath

kc19

Congrats on the soon to be first track experience. you'll be hooked immediately!

Just pay attention and soak up as much info and knowledge you can from the instructors. They're a awesome group of guys. Definitely take advantage of any of the instructional classes they have in between sessions. Just remember its not a race, theirs nothing you have to prove, ride your pace and focus on a couple skills throughout he day to refine. Try to focus on proper body position, corner entry, apex and exit and being on the race line as well as throttle control and proper braking. and don't forget to relax. You're gonna feel nervous at first so you'll naturally want to tense up. This may seem stupid but don't forget to breath. It may take a session or two to memorize the course but you'll pick it up quick. Don't hesitate to ask people for a hand with something or advice, everyone is usually very kind and accommodating.

You'll learn more about riding and bike control in just one day on the track than probably years of street riding.

I'll be there this weekend riding in the novice group too!
Hope some of this helped.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! It's great you're doing ATP your first time out, you will learn a lot. You'll learn body position, body timing, many other things. Just relax and have fun! With ATP you will get a lot of individualized instruction, both on track and in the classroom. The concepts taught are borrowed from Yamaha Champions Riding School, which I think is the absolute best school in the country. Most of our CRs (control riders, coaches) have taken it so we all borrow from the same page. It's hard to say about expectations; everyone learns at a different pace.

I'd say look me up as I'll be coaching in Novice, but you'll be with your ATP instructor all day!

If you can, stay Saturday night for our annual fundraiser and potluck! Always a good time!

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome Srinath! I won't be at Pitt, but you'll be in good hands for the track and classroom. Take your time. Listen to the chunks of information you get in the classroom and implement them on the track. Ask questions. Plan to have a great day and to make some new friends. Don't worry about lean angles... Perhaps I'll see you at a more southern track. Enjoy!

Aries4Tartarus

Srinath - It’ll be my first time on a track and also first time at the PittRace complex. I’ll be the guy wearing the fluorescent helmet who looks like a lost kid on his first day of preschool.

....I've Got My Lunch Packed Up, My Boots Tied Tight, I Hope I Don't Get In A Fight. Ohhhh... Back To School. Back To School.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Welcome aboard, I am not sure who your ATP instructor will be but all of them are good coaches. Bring a tablet and pen to take notes as you can refer back to it when you’re on the street or next track day. Rossi wasn’t a MotoGP champion overnight so dont pressure yourself to go faster than you’re comfortable. We all started where you’re at so don’t feel anything but proud that you took the right steps toward becoming a competent rider. I’ll be up there just Sunday with only my r1, if you stick around look me up and I can try to answer any questions you have.

Tom 122

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Hey Srinath!
Welcome to N2 and welcome to the addiction! ;-) I will be running the ATP event at PITT this weekend and we are looking forward to having you there. We will be in the classroom, doing drills in the parking lot, and riding together all day in your groups sessions. I will have at least one other coach working with me because we have a large class this event, but as others have noted, you will be getting a lot of 1:1 instruction.
Go through the normal process of getting checked in Saturday morning. The people working registration will point you in the right direction for gear and bike rental. Listen for the announcements over the loud speaker and make sure you attend the riders meeting in the morning. We will get the class started shortly after that.
As for expectations, keep an open mind. This will be a whole new experience, and there is always something to learn no matter what level rider you are.
See you there!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sri23

Hey Srinath!
Welcome to N2 and welcome to the addiction! ;-) I will be running the ATP event at PITT this weekend and we are looking forward to having you there. We will be in the classroom, doing drills in the parking lot, and riding together all day in your groups sessions. I will have at least one other coach working with me because we have a large class this event, but as others have noted, you will be getting a lot of 1:1 instruction.
Go through the normal process of getting checked in Saturday morning. The people working registration will point you in the right direction for gear and bike rental. Listen for the announcements over the loud speaker and make sure you attend the riders meeting in the morning. We will get the class started shortly after that.
As for expectations, keep an open mind. This will be a whole new experience, and there is always something to learn no matter what level rider you are.
See you there!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hey A.J.
Thank you, that clears things about the ATP proceedings. Waiting for the hands-on addiction ;) See you on Saturday...

Sri23

Hbdb
Welcome aboard, I am not sure who your ATP instructor will be but all of them are good coaches. Bring a tablet and pen to take notes as you can refer back to it when you’re on the street or next track day. Rossi wasn’t a MotoGP champion overnight so dont pressure yourself to go faster than you’re comfortable. We all started where you’re at so don’t feel anything but proud that you took the right steps toward becoming a competent rider. I’ll be up there just Sunday with only my r1, if you stick around look me up and I can try to answer any questions you have.

Tom 122

That’s exactly why I want to go with Ninja 250. Hopefully, I can learn better control. Thanks for the tips. I am not sure I will be there on Sunday but if I am, I will find you.

Sri23

Srinath - It’ll be my first time on a track and also first time at the PittRace complex. I’ll be the guy wearing the fluorescent helmet who looks like a lost kid on his first day of preschool.

....I've Got My Lunch Packed Up, My Boots Tied Tight, I Hope I Don't Get In A Fight. Ohhhh... Back To School. Back To School.

Add me to the list of lost kids...lol. See you on Saturday !!

Sri23

Welcome Srinath! I won't be at Pitt, but you'll be in good hands for the track and classroom. Take your time. Listen to the chunks of information you get in the classroom and implement them on the track. Ask questions. Plan to have a great day and to make some new friends. Don't worry about lean angles... Perhaps I'll see you at a more southern track. Enjoy!

Southern tracks...may be next year but I will be sure meet you if I am there. Which tracks do you run on usually ?

Sri23

Welcome! It's great you're doing ATP your first time out, you will learn a lot. You'll learn body position, body timing, many other things. Just relax and have fun! With ATP you will get a lot of individualized instruction, both on track and in the classroom. The concepts taught are borrowed from Yamaha Champions Riding School, which I think is the absolute best school in the country. Most of our CRs (control riders, coaches) have taken it so we all borrow from the same page. It's hard to say about expectations; everyone learns at a different pace.

I'd say look me up as I'll be coaching in Novice, but you'll be with your ATP instructor all day!

If you can, stay Saturday night for our annual fundraiser and potluck! Always a good time!

All I want to learn is control. Thanks for that. Don’t worry, I might still bother you even if you are with novice group ;)

Sri23

Congrats on the soon to be first track experience. you'll be hooked immediately!

Just pay attention and soak up as much info and knowledge you can from the instructors. They're a awesome group of guys. Definitely take advantage of any of the instructional classes they have in between sessions. Just remember its not a race, theirs nothing you have to prove, ride your pace and focus on a couple skills throughout he day to refine. Try to focus on proper body position, corner entry, apex and exit and being on the race line as well as throttle control and proper braking. and don't forget to relax. You're gonna feel nervous at first so you'll naturally want to tense up. This may seem stupid but don't forget to breath. It may take a session or two to memorize the course but you'll pick it up quick. Don't hesitate to ask people for a hand with something or advice, everyone is usually very kind and accommodating.

You'll learn more about riding and bike control in just one day on the track than probably years of street riding.

I'll be there this weekend riding in the novice group too!
Hope some of this helped.

Yeah breatheee...tried to learn it in gym, hopefully I can manage it here. Thanks man. See you on Saturday...