NJMP Mon Aug 12 Crash in Chicane A Group

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Emerson;284918 wrote: Wera grids have been very light this year.. you and I were in the same race earlier this year at summit. Back in 09 when I raced the same solo, there were 31 novices and almost as many experts, this year there was only one novice (myself) and 7or 8 experts. What I'm getting at is that it seems safer because there's only a few other guys out there, less people to go down....
And trackdays are more crowded. I don't care what mathematical formula the orgs are using to establish how many people are allowed on course at a time. 55 people is too many on Thunderbolt, I don't give a shit about what your "calculations" say. At some point, common sense and experience has to trump the "rider density per mile of track equation".

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
juicebox;284940 wrote: The guy on the R1 who went to the hospital had a GoPro running. I got to see the wreck from his bike. From what I saw, he ran up on #350 really fast and rather than checking up and holding off until after the chicane to complete the pass, it looked like he tried to force and inside pass...and obviously that didn't play out too well...
If your assessment is indeed correct, this is the stuff that needs to stop. At a trackday, there is no reason not to take the safe route and wait another corner or two to make a safe pass. If you are not in control of your machine and can check up to avoid a collision, you are riding over your head and have no business out there endangering your fellow riders.

Multiple rants, yes, but this stuff just absolutely pisses me off. There is no reason to try and "win" trackday.

Hambone

I agree with you Judy. You shouldn't have to rant. All of this has been said time and time again at the rider's meetings. After the A group went out on Sunday, Todd went over the passing rules for B and I groups--again. He made it very clear to me, "No inside passing and passing only when you get a clean pass". "When/if you run off the track, stop, collect yourself and make sure you have a clear entry, then stay off the race line to clean your wheels". Something like that. All of that was also said WHILE the A group was there. He just reiterated again for us. I was still cut off by a Gomer trying to pit in at the last minute. I almost messed myself!

Hambone

hank;284882 wrote: From the video - was the guy filming just not able to get around the yellow R1 or were they riding together? I sure hope the former and not the latter - intentionally riding as a pack is just bad practice...
Why is that? Just curious? I sometimes follow a faster rider but I'll definitely stop that if there is a safety issue.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Hambone;284956 wrote: I agree with you Judy. You shouldn't have to rant. All of this has been said time and time again at the rider's meetings. After the A group went out on Sunday, Todd went over the passing rules for B and I groups--again. He made it very clear to me, "No inside passing and passing only when you get a clean pass". "When/if you run off the track, stop, collect yourself and make sure you have a clear entry, then stay off the race line to clean your wheels". Something like that. All of that was also said WHILE the A group was there. He just reiterated again for us. I was still cut off by a Gomer trying to pit in at the last minute. I almost messed myself!
My point exactly. It happens time and time again. I hate for the CRs to have to police rather than teach, but the offenders need to be tracked down and sent home. Before they kill someone.

MrK

HondaGalToo;284952 wrote: And trackdays are more crowded. I don't care what mathematical formula the orgs are using to establish how many people are allowed on course at a time. 55 people is too many on Thunderbolt, I don't give a shit about what your "calculations" say. At some point, common sense and experience has to trump the "rider density per mile of track equation".
So well said. I asked to be bumped down to B from I as it was my first time on the track. After trying to start from the back of I and having the leaders coming back around at A pace while I am trying to warm my tires and learn a new track. It was really bad. I didnt realize it would be such a PITA to get back my I status for voluntarily going down to learn a track (as other orgs dont have a problem with this) but I still think it was a wise decision on my part although I feel like I am been penalized for being safe and smart. Come to find out I was not the only one that did this and try to that day. I group was indeed out of control.

juicebox

MrK;284963 wrote: So well said. I asked to be bumped down to B from I as it was my first time on the track. After trying to start from the back of I and having the leaders coming back around at A pace while I am trying to warm my tires and learn a new track. It was really bad. I didnt realize it would be such a PITA to get back my I status for voluntarily going down to learn a track (as other orgs dont have a problem with this) but I still think it was a wise decision on my part although I feel like I am been penalized for being safe and smart. Come to find out I was not the only one that did this and try to that day. I group was indeed out of control.
They explicitly *refused* to let me bump down from B to I, and it was also my first time at NJMP. I told them I understood that I would have to re-evaluated, and they still would not. There was definitely some questionable passing going on in I.

mperussault

juicebox;284940 wrote: From what I saw, he ran up on #350 really fast and rather than checking up and holding off until after the chicane to complete the pass, it looked like he tried to force and inside pass....
I am not sure I agree with your assessment. If you look at the first photo I posted the R1 still has dirt on the front tire and you can see dust in the air on the right side of the photo. He was in the grass and cut back into the track. That is for sure. You do not do inside passes when you are in the grass...

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Apparently not very cleanly. This was obviously a judgement error and I think we've all had one or two of those. No excuse for making contact, but this is a high speed sport and things happen quickly and have huge consequences for errors. With that said, what I cant see from the pics is where the rider was 2 seconds before that caused him to get into the grass. I did not see the video mentioned, but most likely he blew his entrance, thus resulting in his position in the grass. I'm glad everyine involved is ok and the results could have definitely been worse. Hopefully Dr. JD keeps you in good spirits

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
HondaGalToo;284951 wrote: I couldn't agree more and I struggle to figure out why. I started doing trackdays in 1995. It's only been the past few years where it seems that I hear of someone getting hit, taken out, at just about every day. Not sure why. More accessible? Meaning more inexperienced aggressive riders, even in nesba's A group, where they need to be promoted? A general societal trend where no one takes responsibility for their own actions, and how they might affect someone else? The "me" syndrome...only caring about what you're doing in your own little world....your I-land if you will..
I find that statement a bit exaggerated. Im not saying it hasnt happened, but every event? Pretty sure I've done a few events and that is not true. You know the rules and the bump criteria and we don't just put everyone in A. Im not trying to excuse the actions of a few but don't condemn the majority for a few bad decisions. Yes we will need to address this, because none of us want to get hurt and none of us deserve to be part of a bad decision.

beevan217

I saw the actual video from the camera of the bike that hit #350 (Perussault). He came up on #350 very fast, blew the 1st turn of the chicane, ran off the inside of 3A, came back on track as #350 was turning in (looked like #350 took a later apex for 3B left turn in chicane). #96 then hits #350 as he re-enters track.

In my non professional opinion, with this being a TRACK DAY, that wasn't a pass to make in a place to make when it looked as if #96 was lapping at a faster rate than #350 for whatever reason. Being completely honest, even in a WERA or CCS race I don't see it as a pass to make or attempt. Again, I don't race so what do I know about racing. I just know that after seeing the video from #96's camera, he may have entered the chicane too hot, causing the crash. I am in NO WAY trying to kick someone while they are down, just speaking on the video. I'm glad to hear there were no serious injuries. I spoke with #350 at the Potluck & was glad to hear he was ok, just a lot of bruising.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Dave561;284974 wrote: I find that statement a bit exaggerated. Im not saying it hasnt happened, but every event? Pretty sure I've done a few events and that is not true. You know the rules and the bump criteria and we don't just put everyone in A. Im not trying to excuse the actions of a few but don't condemn the majority for a few bad decisions. Yes we will need to address this, because none of us want to get hurt and none of us deserve to be part of a bad decision.
You may call it an exaggeration if you'd like. Maybe someone doesn't actually get taken out at every event, but it is most certainly happening with a lot more frequency that it did several years ago. I would say there is at least a near miss almost every event. No, all of them haven't resulted in contact, but there have been a lot of judgement errors that have resulted in near-collisions. Seems like amost every event i hear of someone in one of the groups pitting in at the last minute, cutting across the race line. I'm not condemning the majority. I'm saying there are some, maybe a minority, but they are having a huge negative influence on the sport.

I attempted to make it clear that I wasn't placing blame in this particular incident as I wasn't there and didn't see it. Rather, I was trying to take an opportunity to remind people to be careful. I'm very passionate about this sport and have just seen some disturbing trends over the past few years. That is all.

burn-z

mperussault;284746 wrote: Any update on the rider of bike number 96, a white Yamaha R1 that went down (and to the hospital) in the chicane in the first afternoon A session on Monday? Also any video or photos of what happened are welcomed. There were 3 people involved in this crash. I am the 1st. one, that got hit, the 3rd. ridder Thomas was OK as I talked to him afterwards, but no news on #96.
Thanks.
I was on the #96. I ended up with just a concussion and four stitches to close a cut to my elbow, no broken bones. Not exactly sure what happened. I thought you checked up on the entrance to T3 because I came up on you really quickly and went around you on the outside. I don't think you saw me and we kind of met up at the apex of the left hander. I saw you coming out of the corner of my eye and slowed up and moved as far left as I could. I was on the curbing and as you went by I think my right bar was clipped which sent me from full left lean to getting flipped down on my right. It all happened in less than two seconds. I never rode off the track until I slid off the opposite side. I saw in my GoPro footage that someone went down behind us. I know I was upside down as I could see myself on camera holding onto the bar with my legs pointed straight up. I don't remember anything from the moment you went by until they were moving me from the ambulance to the helicopter. I don't even remember hitting the ground. Evidently I was sitting up and they got my leathers off without cutting them. It's all a blank to me. Glad everyone else was okay. My bike came out okay. It will need new plastics and a throttle housing but other than that it's all good.

Edited to add: I just want to add that I'm not an aggressive passer and in hindsight wish I wouldn't have done it here. I just came up on #350 so quickly and didn't really think about it. This is only the second time I've ever been down in four years of track days and the first was the result of catching neutral between T7 and T8 at BIR. I do over 20 track days a year all around the country. I didn't run off track and back on to pass and only moved over when I saw #350 and I were hitting the apex at the same time.

thouchin

Wow, there is alot of conjecture in this thread... Too many people learning from the media... no need to know the facts, just wing it and hope you are right.

T.J.

MrK

thouchin;285002 wrote: Wow, there is alot of conjecture in this thread... Too many people learning from the media... no need to know the facts, just wing it and hope you are right.

T.J.
So your saying this is turning into Fox news :D. Glad everyone is okay. I have a feeling most riders take a little something away from a wreck, and leave a little something behind. Sure no one is more upset then those who went down.

bullaboy

Glad to see that everyone is okay and not hurt badly. I totally understand the "coming up to another rider and having an oh @!@!!** moment" it happens. And sometimes it happens really really quickly. I have done it, and ran off the track because of it. I have been t-boned because of this as well. What I have learned from these moments, especially at track days where skill levels are more varied, is to give riders 2-3 corners, i.e.., as you try to pass someone, give it a couple of corners. This gives you a chance to learn and understand that rider in front of you. He/she may be a slow in fast out rider, may be fast in, slow out rider, may be they are new to the track and the lines aren't 100% there. The thought in my mind is simply, where can I make this pass, not crash, and not freak out the other rider :).

Also, I would encourage us to post any videos, pictures, etc.. That will help others learn. That's how we all get better.

borislav

Control Rider
bullaboy;285025 wrote: Glad to see that everyone is okay and not hurt badly. I totally understand the "coming up to another rider and having an oh @!@!!** moment" it happens. And sometimes it happens really really quickly. I have done it, and ran off the track because of it. I have been t-boned because of this as well. What I have learned from these moments, especially at track days where skill levels are more varied, is to give riders 2-3 corners, i.e.., as you try to pass someone, give it a couple of corners. This gives you a chance to learn and understand that rider in front of you. He/she may be a slow in fast out rider, may be fast in, slow out rider, may be they are new to the track and the lines aren't 100% there. The thought in my mind is simply, where can I make this pass, not crash, and not freak out the other rider :).

Also, I would encourage us to post any videos, pictures, etc.. That will help others learn. That's how we all get better.
Very well said,I totaly agree with this and by the way what is the hurry to pass somebody and risk something doing it!?
Rules are being gone through every track day and if you heve been to couple of those you should be aware of them.
Oh S#%T moments I understand they do happened but how somebody will obey the rules is up to that person and we can just hope
people will do their best to do so.We as CR's doing the best we can to address what we see and what has beeing reported to us but secret to safe
t-day lay in riders themselfe.
I would sugest each and every one of you when you get to line up at the pit lane turn around and look at your fellow riders and think that those are the people that you can help have wonderfull day or if you do something stupid those people may have very,very bad day!!!
Choice is clear.(to me)