novice bike prep for track days

scottbanner

I am doing my first track days at pitt this weekend and after reviewing the tech sheets for the event im a little unclear about the requirements for this class. Do we have to remove bulbs, mirriors, and tape the lenses as well? or is that for the more advanced classes?
Thank you.
Scott

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
You'll need to remove your mirrors, or fold them in and tape up. Also tape over the lights. The brake light should not be visible, so you can either put on enough tape to accomplish that, or unplug the bulb. You don't have to otherwise remove bulbs, just tape over the lenses with painters tape, electrical tape, or duct tape.
Also ensure you put a number on the front and/or sides, it can be made with tape, large enough to be visible by the cornerworkers. It can be any number you'd like; it should match the one you put in your account when you signed up.
Ensure no leaks, and that everything is tight.
Most common thing we see at tech with street bikes is that the chain is too tight. Check the range in your manual and have it on the looser side of that range. The suspension works harder at the track, which can cause the suspension to bind if the chain is too tight.

See you there!

Motofun352

Control Rider
I wouldn't use duct tape or electrical tape directly on any plastic as the adhesive will ruin the finish. Blue painters tape first then it's game on with what ever you have that contrasts with the blue for numbers.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Make sure to check your tires to make sure they are in good shape....>50% tread. Dunlop will most likely be available at the track if you new ones. Q3 or Q3+ work great in novice and intermediate class.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I wouldn't use duct tape or electrical tape directly on any plastic as the adhesive will ruin the finish. Blue painters tape first then it's game on with what ever you have that contrasts with the blue for numbers.
Good point, I used to use Duct tape back in the day and went through plenty of Honda Spray Polish to remove the adhesive. Didn't ruin the finish, though.

Blue painter's tape is a better option.