Number of track days on tires?

Paul Rosal

Hi everyone,

Did a search but couldn't find anything on this topic (maybe the old site?).

So how many track days do you get out of your front and rear tires? It would be good to also know what level you are and what size of motorcycle you ride (600, 1000). The reason I ask is that I'm budgeting for next year.

Thanks,
Paul

crewnutz

im in B group and I plan on getting only like 1 trackday on a my slicks on my new R1.............ill be layin some power down baby HOLLA

haha, jk Im in Advanced on a 600..........i buy takeoffs from a source with about 10 laps on them, run them for a day and get rid of em
if i bought a brand new set a rear would last me 2 trackdays provided i didnt have any issues like cold tearing.....

DFlowe

I generally get about three days on the rear at most tracks. I generally get two days, then flip the tire and get one more. On the front I've gotten as many as eight days and as few as five on Diablo Supercorsa's.

I'm in the A group and ride a GSXR 750.

nrcooled

I going to ask a stupid question so prepare yourselves:

How do you read the rear to tell if you need another? My rear looks "ok" from my opinion but I know most of the wear is going to be on the edges. What should I be looking at on the edges to tell if if needs to be replaced (color, wear bars, shape, ?, ?)?

I've got Michelin PP on the rear with three days.

ridelater

zx-6rr, supercoras, 2 rear flip then 2 more the norm. the newer tracks make it 3. fronts i change ever other rear maybe 6 td
I group

crewnutz

nrcooled;25979 wrote: I going to ask a stupid question so prepare yourselves:

How do you read the rear to tell if you need another? My rear looks "ok" from my opinion but I know most of the wear is going to be on the edges. What should I be looking at on the edges to tell if if needs to be replaced (color, wear bars, shape, ?, ?)?

I've got Michelin PP on the rear with three days.
youll know when youre tire doesnt grip as good as it used too

as far as days..............IMO no B or I riders should be getting less than 3 days out of a rear tire, if youre changing that fast you either have setup issues, throttle control issues or youre just plain wasting your money

even back of the pack A riders can get by using a rear tire more than 3 days.....

and B/I riders should just get DC3's..........its plenty of tire for those groups

to each his own though...........

DFlowe

nrcooled,
For me, on the rear the tread is gone and I generally have a flat spot on the side where I'm accelerating before I straighten up all the way.

On the front, it's just watching the wear on the tread and if I trust the feel. If it starts to slip any as I enter or exit turns, I generally go ahead and change the front. I'm not using warmers, so the front tires will sometimes heat-cycle beyond reasonable use before the tire looks to be worn out.

When it comes to tires, I figure you don't get but so many warnings before you get tossed. If I get a "warning" or two, I change the tire or slow the pace.

Emerson

BobbleHeadMoto
Control Rider
ATP/3C
I'm in A group and i get 2 to 3 days on a rear, and about 6 on the front. i ride a R1 and used to get the same wear on the 750

Supergirl

i get 4-6 days on the rear tire without flipping it. i use Pilot Powers. i'm on 600 F4i, in "I."

nrcooled,

you don't want to look for the wear on the edges, but rather a little further towards the middle. that's the patch where you are accelerating and that one wears out first.

Meat

I ride "10 lap" slick takeoffs as well. I usually get 4 solid track days out of them in I (I usually have a little left but it is easier just to replace them after 4 days). No, I don't need slicks, but take offs are cheap as crap and slicks last longer.

When I was a beginner, I went most of the year on one set. Then all of a sudden I take off just a few more seconds and started going through tires tremendously faster. When I initially picked up the rate at which I went through tires, I was wearing the front at about the same rate as the rear, if not quicker. I was shoving the bike into the turns and then coasting out.

Now, I go through the rears faster that the fronts, but I get the takeoffs in sets, so I replace both at the same time.

Clarus

I'm not lightning quick, but I can hold my own in the I group. On a underpowered SV I went the whole year [full CCS season + 4 Nesba Days] on one set of pirellis. Looking at the rear today I wouldn't do another weekend, but fresh tires for next year and I'll be set. :)

There are some advantages to not being super-fast.

Tony A

I group, mid/upper pace, corsa III, i can get 7-9 out of a front and 4-6 out of a back, sv1000 so hp similar to a 600.

rk97

i'm surprised people are getting so few days from a rear on their 600s... Granted, my 600 is 15 years old and only puts like 85hp to the wheel (and weighs more than an SV650), but I put around 8 days on a rear, and anticipate getting double that from the front.

all 8 days on the rear (including the 4ish put on by the PO) were at quick B pace. To be honest, I look at the rear I took off and really think I only changed the tire to make myself feel better. I should've tried for 10 and gotten a full season out of one rear.

ridelater

you should also take into note if people are running warmer or not it really affects tire life
as w/ my privious post was w/ warmers

JGardy_781

This year, I bought some NOS Dunlop slicks (125/70X17 front, 195/70X17 rears) from Moon (from waay back when we were sponsored by dunlop...)

I did 10 days on the front, and 5 days on the first rear (should have flipped it at day 4, and I could have gotten 6) and 5 more days on the second rear, which was flipped at day 4, and looks like it could go another few days. The front still looks damn near new, and has way more than half the tread left.

Used warmers all year long, on an 02 GSXR-750, and ran at a fast I pace for the first half of the year, then a slowass A pace the second half of the year.

As to knowing when you need to replace a tire, the rear is easy - I notice progressive slides under power exiting corners become more pronounced. I've never "felt" a front end slide (nor do I want to), but for me, a 2 rear:1 front ratio has always been safe.

bryant#40

I'll get two whole weekends at best out of my front...as for the rear, I run about 3 sessions, flip it, run 2-3 more, and its done :( I do 2 rears per weekend nowdays, it sucks. I'm beginning to think its partly my fault for riding lazy at times, loading the bike unnecessarily causing amazing amounts of tearing. I think I could hurt you with the size of the massive rubber balls hanging off the edge of my rear tire.
2001 RC-51 stock motor

STEAKUM

Literally flipping the tire to wear the opposite side (get 2-3 xtra days!). Directional - yes but, only for water sheading / wet use.

Revvin' Evan

I run Michelin power races or slicks and always use warmers. Can get about 4-5 days on a front and barely 2 days on a rear if I flip it. I ride a lower middle pack A pace on a basically stock 600RR. I am quite ham-fisted as well.:doh: