Number one thing to improve NESBA

Prix

matt;64727 wrote: the directors have stickers at the events..

I'll mention that they should get put out at registration.
that would be great do they have them in red cause its the only way to see them.

1. Marketing. I was lucky to have a friend talk me into getting on the track. I had no idea this sort of day was available. Most street riders have no idea what I’m talking about. The only place I’ve seen Nesba advertised is at Yamaha dealers. Good start.

2. Scheduling. Ironically, the gap in this year’s schedule suits me just fine, since I’m laid up after my injury. But when planning this year’s schedule, I was frustrated with the bunches of days with gaps in between. I realize Nesba is at the mercy of the tracks, just something to work on each year. I really prefer to space TD’s out every 2-4 weeks so that I can get my fix.

3. Optional track walks early in the morning.

4. More SED days

5. CR’s
Pitting. I know there’s been discussion about whether CR’s should pit together or integrated with the members. My personal preference is amongst us peasants. After 3-4 years, it’s still way easier for me to approach 1-2 CR’s vs a huge group. In my second year, I asked a big group of CR’s a question on tire pressures. They laughed at me for the pressures I was running, which I took directly off the Pirelli spec sheet (although they didn’t believe me). Quite an embarrassing and intimidating conversation. I’ve learned a lot at events where 1-2 CR’s were next to us, picking up tidbits here and there in an informal setting.
Identification. I like the idea of colored shirts besides orange (add other bright colors….neon green, blue, etc). Numbers or names on shirts are awfully difficult to see AND remember when you’re new on the track, feeling like you’re in another dimension. (anyone remember that feeling?). How many of us have asked a CR a question after the session, and they say……….um…..that wasn’t me following you. Damn, it must have been one of the other 10 CR’s with an orange shirt and black bike.
I also like the idea of introducing CR’s at the beginner meeting. I know they have their own meeting, but it wouldn’t take long for a name and wave.
Whatever happened to the intro page started during the old forum days? The directors were on there. Getting that going with the CR’s would be nice.
I don’t agree with assigning a CR for the day. Each CR has a different riding style, teaching style, personality, etc. I have learned a lot from different CR’s within one day. If a new rider is paired with someone he doesn’t click with, you may have lost a lifer.

5. Yamaha demo at more tracks

6. +1 to track map with the registration email with where to park, where TECH is, camping, is there food at this track?, etc.

7. My wife would have liked some info about each track area before hand: kid friendly places, pools, restaurants, parks, etc. Anything to increase spousal support is vital.

8. 1st day discount. A one-time discount to give newbies a taste will make a lot more future business. I am aware of the intro group. It may be an excessive amount of preparation, driving hundreds of miles to a track, money for food, gas, necessary equipment, etc for 2 sessions. see: drug dealers

9. Membership fee….Are you kidding? I’ve got back my fees in crash insurance, rain, and equipment deals (tires, leathers, boots). On the other hand, see #8.

10. I’d like to see a modification in the rain policy. I won’t ride in the rain. Period. I know many will chastise me for not doing so, since it will enhance my skill level. It’s just not worth the risk. And I’ve poured enough money into this hobby…..I can’t justify getting rain tires. If there’s a steady rain all day, but 3-5 riders get on track, I’ve lost $400-$500 in a weekend between track fees, food, gas, etc. Not to mention missing work or leaving early on Friday. At least a partial credit would make it not so bad.

Oh crap. You asked for the #1 thing. How about Greg being my full time pit bitch?

BillFred

I would just like to list one thing I hope NESBA does NOT change, No gate fees.

I really appreciate this. With the $$ we spend on this hobby already, it really bugs me to have to drop an extra $10- $20 per weekend for me and my wife to get into the track.

Another organization does this. They
used to give lunch to offset the cost. Of course they stopped giving you lunch, but they still have the gate fee.
Thanks NESBA.

FaceRace98

a lot of my friends would like to do trackdays but wonder if it is worth the $$$. Most don't have leathers & would have to spend $75 membership + $175-190 to do a full day.

IMO the 2 session intro group is not enough to get people to the track. Is it worth it to prep your bike, take off work and travel to the track only to run 2 sessions?

Why not make the intro day $75, extend it to lunch and throw in a free set of rental leathers...
This would be a great way to get new riders a true taste of what a trackday is all about at a low investment.

You could then assign a couple CR's to teach these guys the basics of riding on a racetrack with some individual instruction... group any first timers in with them and give them all t-shirts so they would be easily identifiable on track.

Bfly

Well I have been with Nesba sense 2005 no to cut to the chase. There are alot of great things about our region. One of them being the CR's and the staff I have to say are all top notch people. I have had an inside view being a member and being good friends with a few CR's. There have been many times I felt out of place with these same people even though there friends of mine. Some of that can be from my own querky way's about myself.

Anyway What I have seen and felt has nothing but love in it sometimes tough love as that's what some need including myself.

Price is always the biggest issue for me is money right now as I am unemployed but really need to be on the track due to the way I ride.

I love the Nesba group as a whole good and bad. I have made alot of good friends here that I would not have in my life today.

Some things that are frustrating in the I group is not being able to pass a CR with out the ok. This one is iffy I know. My view is if the CR is looking back like he should be. He/She knows faster riders are on there way up I feel if the pass is going to be safe it should happen the rider should not have to drop his pace unless it is unsafe....Part of being in I is learning to make these calls. Or the Cr needs to pick the pace up for the faster ride to keep him moving.

1 question I have is why is there not a Nesba Trailer at each and every event this is for the staff and the members.

I make my way around the pit's and talk to many people new and old always asking questions I do this because I remember when I had no clue myself and how out of place I felt.

Now on to the topic on hand being a full time street ridder and very active form member I head the biggest issue is pricing and the 75 sign up fee most don't understand why it is this way. When other orgs offer cheaper sign up fee's.

When I ask what other isssue they may have with Nesba I hear I don't like that I can't sign up in the group i want thisa is a tough one because they for the most part don't under stand it's for there saftey..

There was one Idea that came up a few times and that is to be able to ask for a temp bump down if your off that day or weekend. This really makes sense as it shows the party asking is awear of there skill level and needs to brush up and has the safety of the others in there head.

stkr

Wow, I go on vacation and come back to 11 pages of ideas. Now that I've finished reading ALL of them, I'll try to be brief. Lots of good discussions/ideas so far.

1. The membership fee could be reduced for Intro/First time sign-up, or at least give them a credit in their account. It's like the free sample of crack. Once they're hooked, you know they'll want more.

Membership = $75
Free T-shirt -$15
Tire Discount -$10
Free Stickers -$6
Previous Credit -$25 (during the old membership drives)

You final registration only costs $19.00 after all of the credits/discounts/freebies. What are people bitching about? Or, it's only $44.00 without the account credit.

2. The BUMP evaluation issue. I would love to "try out" a SUPERVISED session in the A-group, but I know it won't happen. I finally broke down and bought tire warmers so that I can finally line up at the front of the I-group with some confidence. Previously, I would line up, but without warmers, I always held back due to safety, and the first few walked away from me. This is discouraging as hell. It was my own demons causing the frustration though. I have ridden with other org's A-group and was able to handle my own quite well, but I'm not sure how I would fair in NESBA's A-group. It would be nice if a CR thought that someone was "close", then they could offer a trial session under supervision to see how the rider handled the traffic, and rules.

3. Rain Credit: At least a partial credit if only some of the more daring riders go out. i've been that rider when I was new, and I crashed, but afterwards, I thought about how I just cost everyone so much money, and I felt guilty. Remember the B-guy at Autobahn a few years back?

RandyO

stkr;65971 wrote: Wow, I go on vacation and come back to 11 pages of ideas. Now that I've finished reading ALL of them, I'll try to be brief. Lots of good discussions/ideas so far.

1. The membership fee could be reduced for Intro/First time sign-up, or at least give them a credit in their account. It's like the free sample of crack. Once they're hooked, you know they'll want more.

Membership = $75
Free T-shirt -$15
Tire Discount -$10
Free Stickers -$6
Previous Credit -$25 (during the old membership drives)

You final registration only costs $19.00 after all of the credits/discounts/freebies. What are people bitching about? Or, it's only $44.00 without the account credit.
really not bitching at all (hey but I might if I was supposed to get a t-shirt, I never got one)

Commonwealth just hosted a track day at Putnam that did not require a membership fee.. and the cost of the day was $10 more than NESBA...

CommonWealth had at least 25 brand new to track day riders show up.. (I think they have 3 or 4 events at this track every year)

The real problem is you do not know why a group like that has so many new riders show up that could have just as easily gone to the NESBA event 2 weeks earlier.. (cost?, did not know about NESBA, etc)

If NESBA could offer new riders a non-member option of say $10 on top of the normal track fee, they could very well entice riders that would otherwise go to other places and at least see if this is part of the lack of new riders

On NESBA's behalf... I can say with certainty that those 25 new riders did not get anything near the NESBA experience.. very little if any coaching, poorly organized grouping and certainly not the feedback after the session that you get with NESBA CR's

Everybody looses... (except the riders probably had no idea what they missed out on)

Personally, NESBA gave me a FANTASTIC first track day.. I came away knowing much more than I started with... I also could not wait to go again

stkr

RandyO;66084 wrote: really not bitching at all (hey but I might if I was supposed to get a t-shirt, I never got one)
There's a coupon inside the Rider's Manual for the free shirt, and all you have to do is take it by the NESBA trailer, and they'll hook you up.
:cool:

geckert

Ive seen a couple ideas that I like and i wanted to add on to one I saw someone mention. Giving a good layout and walkthrough of the track with maps for beginners or whoever is new to the track. For example 'be in second gear for turn 5' or 'turn 8 can be taken WOT' or just what parts of the track can be tricky when you start to pick up your pace. Maybe someone could draw the "normal" racing line through the tracks. I am sure the CR's will give this info to someone if they asked but I think it would be great if the information was publicly available.

ajohn505

I sent this e-mail to NESBA previously, I'm just going to repost it here as it seems to be the place for it:

So I did a Google search for "Road America motorcycle lap times" to compare my paltry times with the rest of the world. The second entry in the list goes to , and on that page was a graphical NESBA ad that had a pic of a race bike in full lean with the words "Try Your Bike on the Track... Free! Click for Details".

The link that the ad brought me to was http://www.nesba.com/Info/Intro.htm?gclid=CIjWg-yTrpoCFQSPFQodqz_5cA, which had the heading "Not Sure about Membership? Try it for Free!", which is the standard Intro Riders page that any visitor to NESBA.com receives.

So my suggestion is that the landing page for NESBA's Google ad should have a slightly more targeted, traditional, full-on sales pitch. The thrills and improved safety of riding on a groomed, fully-staffed race track rather than roads, the benefits of having access to experienced instructors, the benefits of having Turn One selling and fixing things, and a closing argument of "safely push your bike to its limits" or something that would make a street rider really want to wring his new Gixxer out on the track. NESBA has all of this information on its site, it's just not on the landing page of the Google ad.

beac83

mx558;66249 wrote: get rid of that Steve P guy !:p
I know you were kidding, but Steve is why I'm still riding with NESBA. After my first-day crash, at my next track day a month later he took the time to help me rebuild confidence. It had to be painful for him to go so slow with me in tow that weekend, but it was greatly appreciated. (Apologies to the rest of the guys in B I was holding up that day.) But by the end of that weekend at Gingerman, I had become a track addict.

In fact, I've yet to meet a NESBA CR, either in person, here in the forum or in other forums online that wasn't completely willing to help someone improve. That is the BEST thing about NESBA now, and I hope that never changes.

dlockhart5x

1st
I will add my vote to the dispersed CR pitting suggestion. The centralized encampment can be a barrier to the easy interaction that builds friendships.
2nd
Get the schedule out ASAP and as complete as possible. Gingerman is on my favorites list, but we need to make vacation/work plans as early as possible.
3rd
Originally Posted by Malik629
Umbrella girls that aren’t named Brian Blume.

diamond

Thanks for taking the time to implement some of the things discussed. I think it was great! Trying new things to improve the organization and events is awesome. Ron Hix offering assistance to A riders was cool, Ian with the video, introducing the CRs.

Awesome work!

Trent1098S

To the staff - great work this weekend. I enjoyed the second B meeting (even though we got somewhat of a dressing due to the early on issues), and the body position seminar that Marshall and Jason gave over lunch was very helpful.

This felt a lot more like what I was expecting, but didn't get, the first time I came to the track.

Only downside is, I'd kept walking around asking CR's if they'd follow me around for a few laps to help, but never got hooked up with anyone all day Sunday so I left at the end of the day without any feedback. Murf, though, was helpful in walking me over to Turn 5 and showing me a better turn in point and apex when I approached him and asked about lines between sessions.

Without feedback, I was running a slower pace and getting passed a lot, BUT I was happy playing connect-the-dots and working on lines on my own. By the end of the day I got some of my confidence back from my crash Saturday, and was running VERY consistent lines. Slow, but very consistent on brake markers, turn in points, exit points, and apexes. Felt more comfortable hanging off after the lunchtime lessons too!

It was a productive day!

Thanks everyone!