Painting bodywork, clear coating over vinyl decals/graphics?

Scorpion-Ninja

Hi,
anyone have first hand experience and feedback about using this clear coat applied over vinyl decals/graphics on their bodywork???
USC Spray Max 2k High Gloss Clearcoat

https://www.amazon.com/Spray-High-Gloss-Clearcoat-Aerosol/dp/B00W2D806Y/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=2k+clear+coat+spray+can&qid=1586471468&sr=8-2&th=1

Does the decals shrink, melt or do weird shit after you applied it?

Asking because my idea of spraying a clear coat like this OVER my decals to protect them from the edges Peeling, lifting, etc!

bmart

Control Rider
If your going to clear over them, you better love them! i'd clear of teh paint and put the stickers on top. When they get damaged (via, sun or other...) they will be easy to replace/change.

Hey Scorpion..like bmart stated...you can certainly clear over decals...however, you will have to remove them with sand paper instead of a heat gun when the time comes...that will bare some cost in time and material...also..you will have a much nicer job if you don't clear over them. ..

bmart

Control Rider
Humans...the worst. We're telling you what we know! I use $10 cans of rattle paint, so you're 64.7 steps beyond my painting knowledge level. lol

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I don't personally clear over my stickers. The main reason is the added work it would take to remove if a respray was needed.

However, I recently redid my stool from my basketball locker room from college. I painted the wood white then applied vinyl stickers. I then cleared everything. The edges of the stickers were doing fine as I probably did 10 very light coats of clear. I let it dry and then went back for some heavier coats.

On the first heavy coat, some of the very thin vinyl started to look like bacon, kinda wavy. I stopped immediately and let it dry for a couple days. The waviness subsided mostly, but the was some still left. Here is the finished product.

20919.jpeg

I would think clearing over larger one piece vinyl would be ok, but be weary of the smaller or skinnier areas.

teresa23

airbrush clear coat is okay over decals as long as it doest have alcohol. any propellant that can mess with the adhesive of your decal should be avoided.

some guys I know in Texas put stickers all over their body work, then do a gac glue clear coat over it, and then airbrush clear paint over that.