Passing Tech at First Track Day

Went to two different places yesterday and neither of them had suits that were even worth trying on, all US sizes 52+ (too large).

Found some options on eBay and Craigslist, but I am not sure about the actual quality or protection offered by the suits.

Can I get some opinions on this used Alpinestars GP Pro suit? It's more than I wanted to spend at $350 and I'm not sure it's worth it given the tear in the knee. It's a size 50 euro which seems small based on what I've read in this thread, but it matches up with the Alpinestars sizing chart for me. Seller said he's 5'11 175# and fits him well. I'm 5'10 170#.

GP Pro Suit.jpg

messages_0 (1).jpeg

messages_0.jpeg

messages_0 (2).jpeg

@Motofun352 - Could you bring your size 46 suit to Summit on 5/2 as a backup for me?

mpusch

Micah
Just wanted to chime in that you're asking all the right questions. I'm sure you'll be able to get out on track and have a great time. I bought a used Alpinestars suit like 5 years ago and have used it on track (and through two crashes) ever since. Obviously every used item's condition is different, but nothing wrong with used gear (other than helmets!)

As someone who has been in some cool cars at a track day (but not driven myself), I think the physical experience of a bike on track is like little else...

So that tear/rash in the knee won't be a problem if I can't get it repaired before the event? That's the only thing stopping me really, I don't want to buy a suit that will still need to be fixed because I won't have time before May 2nd.

I saw a Reddit post saying that an AVG K3 helmet won't work for the track because of the flip up visor. Is this true? I have the K3SV but thought only modular, flip-up helmets weren't allowed. Wasn't thinking a flip-up visor would be an issue.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
The helmet has one of those internal drop-down sun visors? But isn't modular? That's not a problem, only the modular helmets with the flip up chin bar aren't allowed.

I would pass those leathers at tech...

Suit came in the mail and by some miracle, it fits me like a glove. Seller was even generous enough to send me a mesh under-suit, his gloves, a chest protector, and the back protector in the photo. I think I've got everything taken care of besides going to the track itself.

If I get to the track day at 6:30 am, does this leave me enough time for registration/tech that starts at 7? If I decide the leave the night before, can I just drive up there at like 10pm and setup a tent in the parking lot/pit area to sleep in? I'm no stranger to camping but I also don't want to be somewhere I've never been before without anyone else there, unsure if it's OK for me to be there, ya know?

mpusch

Micah
Suit came in the mail and by some miracle, it fits me like a glove. Seller was even generous enough to send me a mesh under-suit, his gloves, a chest protector, and the back protector in the photo. I think I've got everything taken care of besides going to the track itself.

If I get to the track day at 6:30 am, does this leave me enough time for registration/tech that starts at 7? If I decide the leave the night before, can I just drive up there at like 10pm and setup a tent in the parking lot/pit area to sleep in? I'm no stranger to camping but I also don't want to be somewhere I've never been before without anyone else there, unsure if it's OK for me to be there, ya know?

That depends on if you've left any prep to do in the morning. I try my best not to be stressed, because you end up missing steps or screwing things up when you're rushed.

It's very, very common for people to camp the night before a track day. 1) You end up meeting and chatting with other people 2) It gives you time to work on the bike at a more relaxed pace 3) You get a lay of the land earlier as well.

^ awesome, thank you. I'm undecided if I'll be staying the night but it's good to have that option in the back of my mind. Current plan is to get the u-haul moto trailer and load everything up on Saturday afternoon/evening so I can just wake up and go on Sunday morning. I ended up swapping the coolant out for water wetter this morning juuuuust in case. Took it out for one last shakedown run this afternoon and everything appears ready. See you next weekend!

Attachments

• PXL_20210424_150200722.jpg
    PXL_20210424_150200722.jpg
    375.1 KB · Views: 25
  • PXL_20210424_154718673.jpg
    PXL_20210424_154718673.jpg
    447.2 KB · Views: 25
Wanted to revisit/close out this thread by saying THANK YOU!!! I had such an awesome, fun, educational experience yesterday. I improved so much from the time I first hit the track to my last session of the day. After the first session I was pretty discouraged because I felt soooo slow and felt like I was in everyone's way, but I'm glad I stuck with it. I called it quits after the 2:20-2:40 session after lunch because I was starting to get really tired and making some mistakes, so I wanted to quit while I was ahead. My last session was by far my fastest and the hardest I've ever pushed myself on a motorcycle. The Control Riders were super helpful. Asking to follow them so I could learn the race line was the best thing for me, that changed the game for me after lunch. I was actually passing a few people instead of getting passed all the time. Yesterday made me a better, more confident rider and I met some cool people along the way. 10/10 would recommend.

Entry:
PXL_20210502_104943833.jpg

Setup:
PXL_20210502_120517444.jpg

Exit:
PXL_20210502_193139080.jpg

mpusch

Micah
This was exactly the post I was hoping to see! Congrats on a successful first day.

Seeing that Uhaul trailer brings back memories to my first day. Did the same thing until I bought a trailer a few track days later.

The progression of skills in this sport is a lot of fun. Pretty soon you'll look back at how hard you were pushing and chuckle knowing that you could do the same pace without trying at all.

Went to two different places yesterday and neither of them had suits that were even worth trying on, all US sizes 52+ (too large).

Found some options on eBay and Craigslist, but I am not sure about the actual quality or protection offered by the suits.

Can I get some opinions on this used Alpinestars GP Pro suit? It's more than I wanted to spend at $350 and I'm not sure it's worth it given the tear in the knee. It's a size 50 euro which seems small based on what I've read in this thread, but it matches up with the Alpinestars sizing chart for me. Seller said he's 5'11 175# and fits him well. I'm 5'10 170#.

View attachment 8342

View attachment 8343

View attachment 8344

View attachment 8345

@Motofun352 - Could you bring your size 46 suit to Summit on 5/2 as a backup for me?

All of the gear you got for $350 is an absolute steal. Hopefully that and the fact that you enjoyed your first day so much keeps you on two wheels. There aren't too many things in life that more closely represent the feeling of "freedom", in my humble opinion.