Passing Tech at First Track Day

These are going to seem like really basic questions but this is my first track day and I want to have all my ducks in a row. I have a few questions leading up to the May 2nd track day at Summit Point.

1. The rider's manual reads, "Coolant drained, flushed and replaced by water (for Advanced only). No Engine Ice or Evans coolants. " Does this mean Engine Ice or Evans coolants are OK in motorcycles not in the Advanced class? I'm not sure what's in my bike but want to swap it out ahead of time if it's going to potentially be an issue since I can't confidently say what's in the bike today.

2. The manual reads, "Leather gauntlet‐type gloves that cover the wrists and leave no skin exposed." One of my gloves has a small tear, but there's a rubber pad behind the tear and it's held up fine for 2 riding seasons. Would you recommend I buy brand new gloves? I may try to stitch the tear, it's about 1cm long.

3. Similar question as the gloves, I have Alpinestars boots but they are not hard racing boots, they look like these boots. Will my boots pass tech? Even if they pass tech, should I buy new boots for just one track day? Will there be boots to rent track-side if mine don't work out?

4. The manual reads, "Seat secure". My seat has been securely held in place for years by only one bolt. I have an SV650 and the seat is supposed to be held on by two bolts; one on each side. From the time I bought the bike, the left side bolt head was broken off and I haven't been able to get the threaded portion of the bolt out of the frame, even after drilling through. Do I need to work harder at getting the broken bolt out to pass tech with two bolts holding the seat on? It doesn't move at all and has never been an issue.

Thanks!

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome!!!

0. Folks at track days are extremely helpful and will do nearly anything to ensure that you get to ride.

1. I can't vote on this one. The bug with them, and coolant, is that it takes forever to clean off of the track, meaning downtime for everyone, and mean faces aimed in your general direction. lol

2. Glove is not likely an issue, but I'd post a pic with a ruler next to the tear. Smarter people will chime in. It'll likely depend on where the tear is.You don't want your skin to do the job of the sacrificial cow.

3. Smarter people? (Did you post a pic or link? I didn't see one.) It is a delicate balance on spending money on gear for one day, but it will also keep you safer for your street rides.

4. I can't believe that it matters. If you send me a PM before a track day we'll both be at, I'll bring two tools to potentially get the stud out. (throw a spare bolt in your kit in case your single one comes out!)

Motofun352

Control Rider
1. Water is required for advanced riders only. I highly recommend it for all other groups bit it is not a requirement.
2. Gloves need to be gaunlet stryle. I highly doubt a minor imperfection would be an issue. Big hole or tattered gloves is another issue.
3. Boots need to be full height, not "shorties". Couldn't see pictures, sorry. Truth is hands and feet are the first things exposed in a crash...they're worth protecting.
4. Secure is secure...I don't think I've ever checked a seat. Again, if it scoots around under you is that OK? After all you want your day to be as good as possible.

Motofun352

Control Rider
After reading my last post I'll posit a question.............If you have a track only bike, why not make it "A" group compatible? Safety wire the snot out of it, Water/wetter in the coolant. It's really not that hard AND the big plus is it makes you bump ready! Also helps protect the track in the case of an Ooopsie.....

2blueyam

After reading my last post I'll posit a question.............If you have a track only bike, why not make it "A" group compatible? Safety wire the snot out of it, Water/wetter in the coolant. It's really not that hard AND the big plus is it makes you bump ready! Also helps protect the track in the case of an Ooopsie.....

Maybe because barriers like that for first time track riders can lead to them not showing up and instead continue doing their fast riding on the streets where it is much less safe.

If they are up for it, all good, but the OP shouldn’t think that you need to do all that to show up. You can get that done over time as the track addiction sets in. Folks at the track or a track rider from your area will most likely be willing to help.

Thanks for all of the responses, very informative. The link for the boots is if you click on the words, "these boots" in my original post. However, it sounds like I should buy some new, full-height boots. I'm going to hit up CycleGear this week and try on these Sedici Chicane boots (this is a link).

Here are pictures of the tear in my right glove:

PXL_20210415_021436937.jpg

PXL_20210415_021425209.jpg

I'm going to say they are ok. The layer under the tear is thick and extends across the palm, so it's a calculated risk I'm willing to take.

I'll try to get the coolant swapped out. Seat doesn't move at all so I'm going to assume tech will say it's "secure".

To prep the bike I went over the entire tech list from a mechanical standpoint: changed oil, replaced brake fluid, serviced the forks with new springs and oil, and a few other small things. I still need to tape up the lights, add the tank grips I bought last year, remove the mirrors, and put my number on the windscreen. Bike is a street bike that I want to keep a street bike.

Last weekend I picked up a canopy and the rest of the "pit" supplies I think I should need. Really looking forward to this!

Wish I could edit the post instead of double-posting, but I think the Corsas are going to give me the protection I'm looking for instead of the Chicane.

I will see what Cycle Gear has, try some boots on, and if-needed, order from Revzilla. Great experiences with Revzilla in the past.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Wish I could edit the post instead of double-posting, but I think the Corsas are going to give me the protection I'm looking for instead of the Chicane.

I will see what Cycle Gear has, try some boots on, and if-needed, order from Revzilla. Great experiences with Revzilla in the past.

Agree, the Sedici Corsa look fine. The shorties you posted earlier wouldn't be. I mean, technically they are over the ankle, but they aren't going to offer good protection. Good call on getting proper boots! Years ago, a friend who was wearing proper height boots that were non-motorcycle specific (meaning, no armor/padding) shattered her ankle in a get-off. Better boots may have prevented some of the injury.

If you don't get the coolant swapped out, don't worry about it. As mentioned, it's only a requirement for Advanced group. I do agree it's better to do it, but not if it prevents anyone from getting on the track. Just don't forget to change it back to antifreeze in the winter, lol.

Welcome!

tdelegram

Control Rider
Nothing in here that is wrong, I'll share an opinion more so than a requirement. This is an expensive sport, I personally won't skimp on gear, best I can find, if it means missing a day, I would. Same on tires, they are not cheap but they keep you up right and are cheaper than dirt bikes.

Got news this morning that the suit rental may not be available anymore and a full suit wasn't exactly in my budget. Are used suits fine? What should I look for and where would I find them?

I only have a couple of weeks to find a suit and would much prefer to do a track day with a rental/used suit before dropping the money on a new suit for a hobby I'm not sure I'm going to continue past a couple of events this year. I bought a car over the winter that I'm trying to use to get into racing and had originally intended to just do this one track day before I sold my motorcycles. Kind of a, "I've got an SV and everyone says it's a great track bike, so I need to get that box checked off before I get rid of it" type of thing.

Motofun352

Control Rider
I'm planning on being at Summit then. I have a third suit that I primarily use as a "rain" suit. It's serviceable but a bit on the ugly side. What size are you?

Thank you SO much! This forum has been extremely helpful. I'm going to try on some gear today and get back to a few folks. This seems like a really tight-nit group and I'm thankful to be a part of it all.