phone and camera mounting

g_debell757

Good morning. I plan on doing my first track day in april @ NJMP on a ZX6R as long as I pick it up on saturday. . Just looking for what you do to mount your gopro and phone if its even allowed. I believe tethers are required. I am researching.

MK3Brent

Treebeard
GoPros are handy.
Definitely use a tether of some kind. We've discussed it before here, but make sure you also add some sort of contact info inside the case or on a file in the memory card.
This increases the chance you may get it back in the event it goes flying off.

I personally opt for the bolt/clamp on style mounts that I attach to the handlebars or other rigidly mounted part of the bike. (rear subframe, etc.)

g_debell757

GoPros are handy.
Definitely use a tether of some kind. We've discussed it before here, but make sure you also add some sort of contact info inside the case or on a file in the memory card.
This increases the chance you may get it back in the event it goes flying off.

I personally opt for the bolt/clamp on style mounts that I attach to the handlebars or other rigidly mounted part of the bike. (rear subframe, etc.)
Thank you. I saw online that they make mirror block off plates with gopro mounts. Seems perfect to me unless the wind will affect it. We'll see in time.

bmart

Control Rider
Mount it on the bike, not your helmet. Bolted mounts are nice, but the slide/click ones work prety well as long as the rubber locks are on them. I have bright tape on mine so that I can find them should we go our separate ways. I also have an address label on the inside of each. The bottom of the case seems like a good location for that.

My spots:

Attachments

• 20220801_080356.jpg
    20220801_080356.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230302_121045.jpg
    20230302_121045.jpg
    286.8 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230302_121059.jpg
    20230302_121059.jpg
    587.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230302_121114.jpg
    20230302_121114.jpg
    713 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230302_121123.jpg
    20230302_121123.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 5

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Thank you. I saw online that they make mirror block off plates with gopro mounts. Seems perfect to me unless the wind will affect it. We'll see in time.
Depending on what model you have, get a windsock cover for them to significantly reduce the wind noise.
They're just simple molded foam covers that go over the entire camera and can be found online for less than $20.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
What are you using your phone for on the track?
Its just me, but I’d leave that device in the paddock for a long list of reasons.

Also, while the excitement of your first track day is awesome.( I remember 1997 like it was yesterday). Maybe just go out and enjoy the day and learn. You’re going to have a lot going on and taking in a lot of inputs from a lot of sources. Cameras and lap timers are just distracting at this point.

Just a thought. With a few year’s experience behind it.

Anyway. Have fun and be safe.

Laszlo

Good morning. I plan on doing my first track day in april @ NJMP on a ZX6R as long as I pick it up on saturday. . Just looking for what you do to mount your gopro and phone if its even allowed. I believe tethers are required. I am researching.
Which NJMP event in April you going to?

g_debell757

The plan is njmp 4/30/23 on the Lightning. I'm not signed up yet. I still have to get the bike and gear. Should have the bike this weekend and gear is in the works.

Laszlo

The plan is njmp 4/30/23 on the Lightning. I'm not signed up yet. I still have to get the bike and gear. Should have the bike this weekend and gear is in the works.
Got it. I saw their Rider’s Club has an event 14 and 15; I was contemplating that but w/ black top fees that’s like $500…