Pirelli Suberbike Slicks tire height difference? 190/60 vs 180/55

DUG

Was wondering if any guys with experience running Pirelli's could chime in. Currently I'm running Superbike slicks and just replaced the 180/55 with a 180/60. I can tell its quite a bit taller in the rear and was wondering by how much? Plan to raise the front end to correct the geometry and was looking for some recommendations.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Speaking for myself, I switch between the 200/55 and 200/60 for certain races and didn't change a thing. Although I do some people that make a 2mm adjustment in the rear when they change between the 2 tires. I know, that wasn't helpful...:D

MDM

Brian, send me an email at mike@metricdevilmoto.com and I'll send you a data sheet with all the relevant data. The biggest problem when transitioning from the 180/55 to the 180/60 is people assume that their bikes were correct for the 180/55. In most cases, they weren't ...

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I have the issue that the taller tire prohibits me from getting my rear tire warmer on past the front of the swing arm. Any formulas for figuring out what chain/sprockets I need to change to for this?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MDM

I have the issue that the taller tire prohibits me from getting my rear tire warmer on past the front of the swing arm. Any formulas for figuring out what chain/sprockets I need to change to for this?

On an R6, if you're running a 180/60 and can't fit a tire warmer between the tire and the swingarm, your wheelbase is too short anyways.

On our race bikes, we use two different length chains to keep the wheelbase where we want it when we make gearing changes. We use 16T front sprockets and, depending on the track, 43-46T rears. If we run the 45 or 46 rear, we use the long (116L) chain. If we run the 43 or 44 rear, we use the short (114L) chain.

Wheelbase effects quite a few things on a motorcycle including spring rate on the shock. Which is why we try and keep it as close to our ideal spot as possible when making gearing changes. The further away your rear axle is from the swingarm pivot, the more of a mechanical advantage the swingarm has on the shock. (Think of it like using a longer breaker bar.)

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

I had that issue running the stock 16/45 gearing. Got a left handed fix and went to 15/42, extremely close to the same ratio but pushed the rear wheel back enough that I had ample swingarm clearance, even running a 43 or 44 if you wanted. Never had a need to run such short gearing (15/44), but at least it was possible to do so.

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
I had that issue running the stock 16/45 gearing. Got a left handed fix and went to 15/42, extremely close to the same ratio but pushed the rear wheel back enough that I had ample swingarm clearance, even running a 43 or 44 if you wanted. Never had a need to run such short gearing (15/44), but at least it was possible to do so.

Checked and I have 16/45 as you noted. So 15/42 is the key? What is a left handed fix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R1Baby

Control Rider
On an R6, if you're running a 180/60 and can't fit a tire warmer between the tire and the swingarm, your wheelbase is too short anyways.

On our race bikes, we use two different length chains to keep the wheelbase where we want it when we make gearing changes. We use 16T front sprockets and, depending on the track, 43-46T rears. If we run the 45 or 46 rear, we use the long (116L) chain. If we run the 43 or 44 rear, we use the short (114L) chain.

Wheelbase effects quite a few things on a motorcycle including spring rate on the shock. Which is why we try and keep it as close to our ideal spot as possible when making gearing changes. The further away your rear axle is from the swingarm pivot, the more of a mechanical advantage the swingarm has on the shock. (Think of it like using a longer breaker bar.)

Agree. My 07 R6 came with a 16-47 sprockets. Liked the gearing but because of the tall 47 in the rear, bike would squat getting back on the gas out of turns. Changed to a 15-43, new chain, gearing ratio is very similar and loved the change.