Pitt Race roll call

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
So I guess my point is that if you missed the red flag before T9, the next place you'd see it is when you're exiting the carousel. Since that station is on the right, after pit in, it's too late to pit in. Better and safer to go around again, in my opinion.

sv650

Kendall
Is it possible the red flag came out after the riders passed the station before turn 9? Because the next station is just a bit after pit in.

The flag only came up at the station on the right hand side that's right beside the pit in lane, where it's too late to pit in.

In this case different hand signals wouldn't have helped since no one threw a hand for the red flag, but I see the point that if the flag had been thrown somewhere on the back straight and the lead rider saw it, he could have notified the rider behind him who missed the flag that the session was red flagged and he wasn't just pitting in on his own. Then again though most people probably make sure to glance at the corner worker in 9 if they see someone throw up a hand.

Hopefully everyone heals up quickly, I didn't realize the injuries were as serious as they are.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I believe the rider with the hand up was just pitting in on his own. I saw no red flags at the 2 stations before the carousel. It looked like the red flag just came out at the carousel station just as the riders were in the turn. The front rider seemed to check up without signaling.
Watched again and I agree with the above and sv650. No red flags at the stations prior to T9 or at the entry to the carousel. If a flag comes out at that station on the right that's almost across from pit in, it's too late to properly signal. Continue around for another lap.

ScottLevy

Control Rider
Watched again and I agree with the above and sv650. No red flags at the stations prior to T9 or at the entry to the carousel. If a flag comes out at that station on the right that's almost across from pit in, it's too late to properly signal. Continue around for another lap.

Maybe this should be added to the riders' meeting at appropriate tracks...

-Scott-

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Hey gang!
I was working with the 3 riders behind me for three or four laps. When coming down T7, I saw the bike and rider down just off the edge of track. I was checking ALL the flag stations thinking there could be a red flag because the rider (Nikki) and bike were still in an impact zone. No flag at kink, no flag after kink, no flag on left enterance to T10, and I didn't see anything when trying to see T10-T11 station before staying on gas/race line. I was in front of the 3 riders to show them best line in T10 carousel. We caught the slower rider and I wasn't going to pass him on the inside of T10 (you can see my bike stand up a bit as i slowed). I then got back hard on the gas to show the guys the exit line onto front straight. The rider in front saw the flag, rolled off significantly, and was moving left into my line. I had a split second to brake while swerving right to avoid him. I failed, and the crash occurred. BTW, just after the crash, I was in the ambulance telling the medics and Todd that I thought the rider (Jarvis) had a mechanical because he just got out of his tuck and slowed dramatically while rolling left. I wish their was a camera on my bike and helmet to show my view.

avizpls

#11-A
I was checking ALL the flag stations thinking there could be a red flag because the rider (Nikki) and bike were still in an impact zone. No flag at kink, no flag after kink, no flag on left enterance to T10, and I didn't see anything when trying to see T10-T11 station

Yeah, I gotta say. I was watching from the hillside by T10 when Nikki went down. I kept waiting and waiting for a flag. She laid there for quite some time. I left my spot on the hill and rode down and was next to the ambulances practically calling on them to go myself. (i didnt) So I wasnt there to witness your incident, but I can say that I think flags should have flown sooner and this may have been avoided.

Motofun352

Control Rider
The Beave is a bit unique in the respect to where the flag stations are...the timing for this incident was as bad as it can get. Bottom line though is follow the rules. See the red flag...wave your hand...roll off the the throttle (by that time you're past the pit entrance) and you HAVE to go around again. I can appreciate the first rider's desire to pit in ASAP but at Beaver that particular spot is a high risk spot. The pit in process is heavily emphasized during the morning briefing..the regulars know it by heart but I guess it needs to be even more clear. If you haven't indicated to pit in well BEFORE the carosel, you MUST go another lap.

Bugman

Abrupt deceleration or roll off was covered during the mandatory morning riders meeting...it's a bad idea especially there at the start of the front straight where you know the riders behind you are WOT.

moman

Heal fast Scott. I don't know you personally but do know several of the other CR in attendance that day. I hate to see anyone crash, especially a CR who is volunteering their time.
When I saw two ambulances and the crash truck go out I knew it wasn't going to be pretty.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Heal up Scott!! Maybe I missed it, does ayone know how is the rider that recorded the video doing?

ToddG

Control Rider
Director
Heal up Scott!! Maybe I missed it, does ayone know how is the rider that recorded the video doing?
Vinny he left the track that afternoon a little sore and had his bell rung pretty good, thankfully he wasn't injured worse!

steftoff

Scott I hope you heal up fast. I saw the video and it was scary. Glad you are on the mend. Hope to see you on the track later this season.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

CBRtist

Have already heard from two separate people that they've seen this on the news... GMA and some other network. Dubbed the "flying motorcycle".

Glad all are one the mend. Scary stuff.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
This video is the worst case scenario as described in just about every riders meeting I've attended. You have to assume that there is someone on your back tire at all times. You also have to assume that the rider directly behind did not see the red flag. The first rider saw the red flag and immediately chopped the throttle, thinking he still had time to pit in. When he sees the red flag, you can see his torso raise and he begins to lean left. Scott, I hope you are doing better. Heal up soon.

Myers

Control Rider
This video is the worst case scenario as described in just about every riders meeting I've attended. You have to assume that there is someone on your back tire at all times. You also have to assume that the rider directly behind did not see the red flag. The first rider saw the red flag and immediately chopped the throttle, thinking he still had time to pit in. When he sees the red flag, you can see his torso raise and he begins to lean left. Scott, I hope you are doing better. Heal up soon.

Very happy ALL riders are relatively ok...
Last year... CR'ing B group... I had my head turned around coming out around 6:20-6:24. I atleast got an arm waive....

Not sure how else to say everything that Big Jim mentions above.....

http://youtu.be/WBfCyT6gM98

Shinobi

I watched that video 30 times. I could not believe it. I am really sorry for this incident and I wish Scott and whoever else crashed on that session a speedy recovery. As the video goes viral within the TD/Racing community a valuable lesson will hopefully be passed along. It makes me think long and hard about my signaling, pitting and taking a note on the particulars at new tracks.

xx848xx

Hey guys... this is my first post here, sorry, it's so long!

Saturday was my first NESBA/N2 track day. I had a really good time and thought the flow of the day went well, excluding the double red flag in intermediate session #6.

Kory, the rider who ate Scott's bike, passed me up at Turn #7 (as well as another rider), so I was pretty much the first guy out of turn 10 behind the melee. I have good GoPro footage of everything on the back straight (including flags that were displayed and not displayed). I was a little too far back for the GoPro to capture any useful footage of the actual accident, but I saw it pretty clearly with my own two eyes. Scott, heal up soon! and Kory get that bike fixed!

Before this crash video went viral, I had started working on a 'regular' video to document my track day at PittRace. In this video, the crash is not the focus, but I took the opportunity on the last lap to point out a few items of interest for anyone wanting to analyze the moments just before the accident. Hindsight is 20/20, memories can be flawed, but video is pure fact.

Charles
xx848xx

Here's a link to the finished video--Enjoy: