Pittrace Bad Crash 4/23/2022

Jake Balsiger

Control Rider
James, I applaud your outlook man. We were watching the chopper circle, while saying our prayers that you’d be ok. Glad your on the upswing and looking forward to getting back after it!! If you need anything modified/built for your bike please don’t hesitate to reach out. I live in the custom design/fab world and would be happy to help in any way possible.

Late to the party.

First, my condolences for the tough emotional work of having to wake up and find you really are missing that leg you were fond of.

Second, super glad you got to keep your hip and thigh. That’s awesome.

Third, I had a buddy suffer multiple long bone traumas. The doctors saved his life but in their zeal to repair one of his legs, the various reconstructive surgeries weren’t successful and he was left with an unmanageable lump.

Meanwhile, in the ward next door, a helo pilot got his leg mangled. He was a special boy and the doc said, “Clean amputation, smooth terminus for a comfortable prosthetic, we’ll have you back in the cockpit in 60 days or less.” He was flying in 40.

My buddy was absolutely depressed and bitter he didn’t get the same deal. So, on the days you may feel angry or depressed, at least you get to choose gloss versus matte carbon fiber leg rather than having to buy two different size shoes for a still-mangled foot that doesn’t work.

The Bike Experience USA was at N2’s Roebling Road event in March. The 70 year old para from the waist down was riding in the A group. You got desire, they’ve got solutions. Non-profit so not going to bleed your account dry.

Wayne Waldon rides with N2 and YCRS. Not sure if he’s on here but he lost almost all his right leg (~2007 I think) and he whips an R6 around the track in A Group. Fantastic, happy human.

You’ve got a bombproof attitude. Hope I get to meet you to absorb some of your superpower!

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Some good news this am!! Said I am a good candidate for the implant prosthetic. Which means they put an attachment into the bone and then prosthetic attaches to that. Longer timeline in terms of healing and being able to effectively use the leg but much better long term outcome with this procedure. Been putting weight on the left leg as the Dr said the breaks are stable enough to support it. Hopped with a walker about 5 houses down and back today! Quite the workout....lol

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Some good news this am!! Said I am a good candidate for the implant prosthetic. Which means they put an attachment into the bone and then prosthetic attaches to that. Longer timeline in terms of healing and being able to effectively use the leg but much better long term outcome with this procedure. Been putting weight on the left leg as the Dr said the breaks are stable enough to support it. Hopped with a walker about 5 houses down and back today! Quite the workout....lol
Keep it up man!

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Quick little update. Able to put quite a bit more weight on the left leg. Opened the pool this past weekend! Granted, i had some help rolling the heater/pump cart out and getting the cover off. Should be able to start swimming by the weekend as the stump is pretty well healed over, just a little section on the right that needed more time to scab over. Mowed the lawn a few times now. Back into work a couple times a week now, still mostly working from home. Drove my truck around. Little strange at first with the left foot but didn't take much to get used to. Mostly get around on crutches and forearm crutches now.

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Great to see everyone this weekend at pittrace! Sorry if I missed some you. 1st surgery Aug 19 so I won't be around until next season!

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Great to see everyone this weekend at pittrace! Sorry if I missed some you. 1st surgery Aug 19 so I won't be around until next season!
Glad to see you out. I was the guy that introduced himself when you came up to Dan.

mpusch

Micah
Just catching up on this thread now, since I just made it out for the first time to this year (at Pitt). Wow! Glad to hear you're on the mend.

Chiming in here because I'm also in the Buffalo area, so if there's something I can do to help I'd be happy to. Don't know what that would even be at this point, but the offer is there nonetheless.

D

Deleted member 26394

First I'd like to say you have an amazing attitude! I don't think I would be handling this as well as you are!

After reading this post, My first two laps at every track are spent carefully surveying all the braking zones, the runoff, where the walls are etc. I put together a very well thought out plan on how I'm gonna try to handle the situation of my brakes ever fail. That way I can execute the plan without having to think too much if it ever happens. I'm very much better prepared for that possibility than I was was before reading your post! I have you to thank for that!!! my new found carefulness might just save my life someday or someone else who reads this. Hope that adds some positivity to your situation!

Also, I met a guy named Dave at road America a few years back. He is paralyzed from the chest down. He has training wheels that pull up out of the way when he gets going, toe clips to keep his feet on the pegs and a thumb shifter. The dude is fast! I run low 30's there and he passes me like I'm standing still! The point being, you have way more going for you than Dave does at this point. If he can do it, you can definitely do it too if you choose to.i wish you the best!

God bless you brother!
I hope I get to meet you someday!

Jas05r1

Some assembly required
Well got on my son's klx110 today. Felt so good to rip around the yard for a bit. Fell over once when I stopped and went to put my right leg down and.....over I went. I'll have to try his ttr125 next...still can't kick start it yet....not properly equipped.