PittRace Saturday May 13, rain report.

CaseyAlbert

About noon on Saturday as the drizzling rain continued, one of my track buddies said he had just purchased a set of used rain tires from Quentin and was going out to play. I had a set of used ”rains” that Brad(CR BMART) had graciously given me a few months ago in Charlotte. I strolled down to Quentin and asked if he had another set for my son. He did, and so the saga continues…..
We got the bikes set, and headed out. This was my first actual “wet” event, and due to a previous incident with touching only damp track curbing, I knew all too well what the outcome would be….
I had read about the effectiveness of rain tires and have watched the pros on a few videos. I gradually picked up my pace, until I didn’t see the painted line coming up over “wheelie hump” out of turn 2. My camera clearly saw it!
Fortunately, I ended up only losing the “distal” portion of my left index finger, but that didn’t occur until after midnight on Saturday, so we didn’t get back to the track until about 10am Sunday to thank our track buddies for helping my son pack up.

I wanted to send a special “Thank You!” to the EMS crew that gave me a ride back to the pits, the entire N2 organization for allowing this old guy to have more fun and learning than I deserve, and all of you “Track Day Junkies,” and Pros alike that share their knowledge and “mis”adventures so others might learn.

I love motorcycles, and I too, will be back!
RAIN tires are AWESOME! Don’t accelerate over painted surfaces!

MK3Brent

Treebeard
Wow, thanks for sharing.
Looks like you were rolling pretty good before and during the tumble. Hope you heal up well!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Sorry to hear about the incident, but glad to see you're in good spirits and look forward to seeing you back out on track after you've recovered!

Jim-N400

Wow - hope you heal up! You guys sure haul ass in the advanced group! I was in the novice group and someone went down in the last session before lunch break. Didn't look bad though.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
I hit that blend line once on Saturday and my bike did NOT like that. Wasnt even going that fast. Glad you're on the mend and hope to see you out soon.

Kneedragger34

When you came back to the garage, we thought, he's OK, doesn't look like he's in pain.
Then we see you had part of your finger missing..Strait badass.

CaseyAlbert

Thanks to all! I guess I wasn't exactly clear as oxycodone does that to me.... I knew to avoid painted surface, and couldn't believe my eyes when I saw how I ran right over that yellow line. Fortunately for me, the bike stayed on it's left side throughout the entire pirouette. I have started sourcing parts to try to get back to PittRace in June.
For anyone that hasn't run in the rain, I highly recommend it! I was enjoying the learning process up until my avoidable incident. I was trying to make smooth body and throttle inputs, and gradually picking up the pace as I hadn't had any "slips" up until then. Rain tires are AMAZING!
Lastly, during the rider's meeting, I think I heard "John?(Track Day Director)" say that if anyone had a wreck on Saturday, just contact him for his credit card info and he would help sponsor repairs..... John, I can be reached @ .........
Thanks in advance!

CaseyAlbert

When you came back to the garage, we thought, he's OK, doesn't look like he's in pain.
Then we see you had part of your finger missing..Strait badass.
I'll take that as a compliment "Kneedragger34!" I was telling my 33 year old son what you had written, and for the first time in his life, he said, "you are!"
I'll take that as a compliment, too!
I really am trying to learn as much as possible to get 100% consistent, and a little bit quicker. Those FAST guys pass me like I'm standing still, so much so that I can't learn from them. "POOOF," and they are gone! I'm going to lean on our GREAT coaches! THANKS to you all for what you do to "pass it on!"

CaseyAlbert

The part of the track by the final turn where there is a small 'repair patch' looked slippery to me! I tried to avoid it the best I could.
That spot wasn't too bad. I too thought it would be like ice. I was using real track "rain" tires. If you go in the rain, I would recommend buyoing a set of used ones from the tire guy. We paid 100$ for a set of "rains," and one of of the Control Riders had given me a set as I passed by his house in North Carolina one day.
I knew going out to avoid ALL painted curbs and lines. 100% failed on that one. I do plan to ride "wet" again. I had fun and know I can learn a lot.
I'm hoping to be back at PittRace in June. Have a bit of homework to do!

CaseyAlbert

A shout out to my Alpinestars Tech-Air vest, or any inflatable you might have, and if you don't have one, I highly recommend one!
This wreck was not a "high" impact event, and I do know from previous experience when I was not wearing one(that is another story....).
I knew that the vest should have inflated, and was wondering if it had failed me until I opened up my leathers and saw that it had in fact inflated, and likely saved my bacon!
I'm sending it in for maintenance this week. Money well spent! Please get one! If you don't, drop by next time and I will show you my "non" vest x-rays!