Pocono Rebirth

Poper

We've all ridden it, we all bash it, but we all might want to go back. I hear the "other" guy has 10 days booked there. The word is the entire infield was repaved, with the East course connecting to the South.

Thoughts?

Judy and D-Zum, and many others who have been around for a bit have said the most negaitive things about Pocono I can say it right now.

You can count me out.

BZ

breakaway919

I might be a little bias because I live so close to it, but I can honestly say that if you can ride there...you can ride anywhere. Bumps and changing surfaces make you a better rider. I have spent the last few years only going to NJMP, but I'd love to see what they've done with Pocono. Count me IN! I know at least 2 others who are definitely in as well.

FYI, Old-man Mattioli has since died, but I think it's still run by the same family. Although, I don't think they share the same discourse of street bikes as the old-man did.

PJZOCC624

:dunno:

Not sure, Poper. The proximity to the 'Cuse makes it a consideration, but I think it'd take more than a repave to get me to go back. Looking at the layout, I don't get all giggity over it, and that turn onto the back straight just sucks, not to mention the "bus stop" turn inside...

With NICE-T opening next season, it's about the same travel distance from us, and a much more intriguing layout. Plus, NICE-T seems to be fawning over the 2-wheeled community. I'll hold judgement until someone else rolls wheels and reports back.

How's the baby, big fella???

andykurz

I cut my teeth there, and was lucky I didn't knock them out too!

I'd give it another go, but I hate pointing my motorcycle at a concrete wall. It was never my favorite, but it's close and easy!

Poper

PJZOCC624;260732 wrote: :dunno:

Not sure, Poper. The proximity to the 'Cuse makes it a consideration, but I think it'd take more than a repave to get me to go back. Looking at the layout, I don't get all giggity over it, and that turn onto the back straight just sucks, not to mention the "bus stop" turn inside...

With NICE-T opening next season, it's about the same travel distance from us, and a much more intriguing layout. Plus, NICE-T seems to be fawning over the 2-wheeled community. I'll hold judgement until someone else rolls wheels and reports back.

How's the baby, big fella???
I echo everyone else's comments about Pocono, but with it being so close to us, and a complete repave, I will definitely try it out next year.

Baby girl is great! Crawling a few steps at a time, so we will be full-on moblie soon!

When's the next card game?

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
I've never been there, but I think I'll go turn a wheel on some fresh pavement...

erick1670

that's where I started this addiction, and I miss it. I will go too...

Is a fun little track, and if they merge it with the south course it will be better...

Vinny, you'll like it...

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
erick1670;260843 wrote: that's where I started this addiction, and I miss it. I will go too...

Is a fun little track, and if they merge it with the south course it will be better...

Vinny, you'll like it...Cool, we'll stay in touch and maybe roll up there the same time...I'm going to need a tow.

Rasta;260846 wrote:
Epic..It wickid! Tun it up...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyXJOH5r8MI&feature=share&list=UUVSr7H6lREqPqmw57ZQnXsQ
Original Rude Bwoy! seems like you all had a blast, couple of oh sh%$T moments though...:wow:

andykurz

What course was that in the vid? I remember the east course, but we always ran counter clockwise. STT was the group I would ride with at the time

Some SERIOUS wall time in the vid - I remember that. It's nice that we have tracks now that have more runoff and less walls!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
vinny337;260863 wrote:
Original Rude Bwoy! seems like you all had a blast, couple of oh sh%$T moments though...:wow:
That's all Pocono is..a day full of "OH SHIT" moments.

"Oh SHIT! I'm pointed straight at a BRICK WALL!"

All DAY!

Same reason NESBA doesn't ride Shenendoah at Summit Point, safety.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
andykurz;260867 wrote: What course was that in the vid? I remember the east course, but we always ran counter clockwise. STT was the group I would ride with at the time

Some SERIOUS wall time in the vid - I remember that. It's nice that we have tracks now that have more runoff and less walls!
The track in the vid is the F-USA course. The clubs all got one day a year on it, as it used the entire facility. The Formula USA motorcycle race series used to race on that config. Not sure if that series is even still in existence, I don't think so.
Yeah, a lot of walls. And the turn onto the back straight (when using F-USA course) has you aiming right for one. No matter what club was running, days on the F-USA course tended to be crashfests. Seems like all the squids would come out to see how fast they could go on the banking. Once upon a time, Reduc ran the course where you didn't cut back into the infield from the back straight, but continued all the way around the banked oval onto the front straight. Wicked speeds. They only did that once, then switched to the F-USA course. Too much speed, too many problems.

Now that there's better options out there, I have no desire to put myself in a position where a fall would slam me into a concrete wall. Watched too many helo rides out of that place resulting from just that (mostly on the F-USA course due to the speed. The east course had you pointing at a wall, too. Club I ran with didn't use the north course).

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
F-USA was replaced/renamed ASRA if I'm not mistaken. It's the "Varsity" for CCS Racing.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
D-Zum;260869 wrote: That's all Pocono is..a day full of "OH SHIT" moments.

"Oh SHIT! I'm pointed straight at a BRICK WALL!"

All DAY!

Same reason NESBA doesn't ride Shenendoah at Summit Point, safety.
Thanks D, but you know I have to check it out for myself...Shenandoah at Summit Point happens to be one of my favorite tracks :cool: Not a fast track but it’s very technical and for you to hit a wall when you're NOT riding over your head is highly unlikely.