Post track day rituals

bmart

Control Rider
After another trip home after a great time at NC Bike, I started to think about what had to be done before the next track weekend. I'm a bit of a nut with tracking things and doing only what is necessary between weekends. Here's my take. I hope that you post your comments and additions in response.
  1. TRACKING: The logs. THE LOGS! Everyone that knows me makes fun of me for this. I track bike maintenance, track day expenses/times/top speeds, etc. suspension work, and tire usage each in their own logs. So... I update miles, time to next oil changes, tire changes/flips, what hotels I need to book, etc. Many say that they don't want to know what all of this costs, but I do. Primarily so that I know where I can limit expenses to get more track time.
  2. GEAR: All of the gear get's wiped down with a wet cloth to remove grime and bugs. Boot inner soles come up to get the rubber and grit out of the boots and the vent holes in the inners. Everything gets checked for damage, wear, missing parts (I pointed out a missing helmet visor screw to someone at NC Bike...) Once it dries, it goes back in the kit (one big bag) for the next time out. All of the leathers get conditioned 3 times in the off season to keep them looking good and from getting brittle.
  3. EQUIPMENT: Stuff gets worn out. I have a good look at straps, bike stands, chairs, canopies (both destroyed the night after last at NC Bike), etc. to ensure that it is all ready to roll for the next time out. It is amazing the missing nuts/bolts, wear, damage you find.
  4. BIKES: Second only to safety gear (and really a Venn diagram with it), is the proper maintenance of the bikes themselves. Everything from fasteners (bodywork, calipers, axles, etc.) to wear and tear maintenance items (tires, oil (quality and level), chain/sprockets, brake pads and fluid, fork seals, air filters and more). This isn't a sport where a mechanical failure is free. If could hurt you or another rider. I periodically have my oil checked to determine when real end of life is. As it turns out, it isn't nearly every track day or even every track weekend!
  5. THANK YOU: I thank folks for coming to ride with N2. I thank my girl for all of the pre to post support and help. I consider myself fortunate to have stumbled into this sport, into becoming a coach for various orgs over the years, and for the friendships motorcycling has provided me. I hope to see you all at the next N2 event.
So...what do you folks do after you return home from the track?

Motofun352

Control Rider
Pull up the driveway, stop the truck, go straight to bed and crash. 6 hours on the road after a full day on the track and I'm wasted. :sleep:

tdelegram

Control Rider
BAck the toy hauler in, disconnect, level, plug in to 50 amp service pop slides out then go to bed as I most likely have an early flight the next day.

New list for you Brad:

1 Prozac
2 Paxil
3 Zoloft

2blueyam

Unload the cooler and water cooler. Hang out the funky clothes and socks so they dry if not washing them right away. Open up the canopy if it was put away even a little wet. Bring in bedding to be washed if I camped.

Prep for the next track day comes later after I have rested. That is what the packing checklist is for. Mine is 1.5 pages if not camping and 2 pages if camping. Sorted by what it is carried in + loose stuff as well.

CBRtist

I used to be a bit of a nut... but as I continue to travel with my daughter (and HER racing stuff) stopped giving so much of AF.

Dump RV. Drive home. Back it in an uphill and curved driveway (this takes much longer than it should). Unhook to drive to work next day. Carry sleeping kid into house. Empty anything that can rot out of fridge. Throw UA in bucket of vinegar/baking soda/water. Throw rest in washer. Consider unloading bikes within a week.

Take a couple Tylenol. Call me in the morning. #MomNoviceLife