Potential Member! An intro and some questions.

JustinG

Hi all!

First off, thank you for taking the time to read this. I have been thinking about riding on a track pretty much my whole life, and I think now is the time. So I am thinking about becoming an N2 member and starting to participate. But I had a few questions and wanted to get some feedback first.

I’m riding pretty much my whole life, starting with dirt bikes at a young age and getting my first street bike when I was 18. It started with a Honda shadow 1100 before I graduated to a Honda VTX 1800. Then I needed a break from cruisers so I got a Honda CBR 600 F4I. That’s when I began experimenting with bikes, I moved to sport touring bikes and now I have a CTX 1300 couch on wheels. But it’s time for a second bike, and I am looking for something that I can enjoy on the road and on the track. So I am considering the Yamaha MT – 09 or the Honda CB 650R. All and all I have been riding for about 20 or 25 years.

My goal is to start out slow and steady on the introductory classes that I noticed are posted. And slowly graduating to future classes probably never moving past an intermediary level, and just enjoying being out there on the track. I don’t believe I’ll ever want to be competitive or really push the limits.

Anyhow, I would love some input and advice so that I can participate in upcoming season. I don’t have a way to tow my bike currently so I would be riding to the events as well. Looking forward to all of your input and advice, and thank you in advance for all of your help!

Justin

Ps. I will be participating most likely in the Pennsylvania and New Jersey track locations.

Motofun352

Control Rider
Welcome Justin. Just a thought but if you are considering both street and track...and considering you still have street bike riding covered...why not consider a track only bike? A fully prepped track only bike can be had for very reasonable money. The advantages are many. First it will likely already have many good track parts like rear sets, suspension upgrades, fiber glass body work and all the lights, turn signals, mirrors removed. A very nice, serviceable SV650 or 600 can be had for 3 grand with a little looking...get your "haggle' on!;). Another plus is if you crash it (heaven forbid!) you haven't ruined a nice street bike with all the $ that goes with that. Check the classifieds here and at wera website.
No matter what you finally decide, either of those bikes you mentioned would do just fine. Remember to also consider quality safety gear in your budget.

tdelegram

Control Rider
Justin,

To address some of your other challenges:

There is a ride share section you might be able to hook up with someone split gas and camp.

Depending on vehicle, you might be able to get away with a small single rail trailer that can be towed with a class 2 hitch. Conversely, you could also get away with a hitch mounted hauler but would need a class 3 minimum to make that work.

To be completely honest, this isn’t a sport to try on shoe string budget. Don’t skimp on safety gear and make sure you have good insurance coverage.

Feel free to post up questions we all started right where you’re at and this is a great group always willing to help.

bmart

Control Rider
Welcome. You're going to love it & wonder why it took so long to get to. I learned more during my first track day than I learned over many years of street riding.

As others have suggested...get a dedicated inexpensive track bike. SV. Older R6/CBR. Set it up for your weight.

Looking forward to your questions!

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Welcome. I'll echo not buying a new bike and buying an already setup dedicated track bike (since you have a street bike). You'll get more for your money. I'll also echo the SV650 suggestion. You can go plenty fast on one of those things and it's great for new and experienced riders. It's also pretty easy to move/sell if you find you want to try other things.

I ride one myself so I'm 100% biased. :)

CBRtist

Welcome. I just had a conversation with somebody recently about how it's really not a good idea to ride your bike to the track. Most have no idea how fatiguing riding on track can be, until it's too late and they have a long ride home. As mentioned, consider a ride share or a U-Haul.

Are you in Northern Delaware? You posted a 19809 zip code, so you must be pretty darn close to me. And if you ARE in Delaware, I'm sure we know each other (haha, small state, small bike community). However, I'll be moving down the beach a little after the season starts for the summer making it a longer trek for me :(

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome, Justin! My fellow riders have covered everything really well. If you haven't yet, do read our Riders' Manual: https://www.n2td.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/N2-Riders-Manual-2018.pdf

Agree with getting an inexpensive track-only bike since you have a street bike already. However, if you're looking for something sporty to handle both street and track, either of the ones you mentioned will do nicely.

When Tom mentioned insurance coverage, I'm thinking he's referring to health insurance, which is a must. Most vehicle insurance companies do not cover damages incurred to you motorcycle from closed-course riding, so you're on your own with repairs if you have an incident. If you are financing a bike, this becomes a a bigger issue. It used to be insurance companies would cover closed-course if it was not competitive, but this is largely no longer the case. You would need to check with your insurance company to be sure.

I also agree with finding a way to haul your bike. There are other things necessary to have at a trackday: water, shade, chair, food. Although, if you post up when your first day is, I'm sure you'll have folks offering you a pit space with them to share their canopy, etc. Gas is available at the track, but it's more expensive. Typically, you'll run through a tank during the day. As your pace increases, that'll become a tank gone by lunch!

You'll love the track! It's a great way to improve your skills and hang out with a bunch of cool, like-minded people!