Quick shifter question

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
OK, I've been trying to put a quick shifter sensor on my "spare" bike (which other people seem to ride more than me!). It's an '05 R6, equipped with a YEC ECU, PowerCommander V, and a FlashTune ECU push type sensor (setup for GP shift).

The problem is that given the older design R6 requires a kind of awkward shift arm configuration to run GP shift, even though I have both "arms" on the end of the shift rod at very close to 90 degrees, it seems as though the sensor takes too much pressure and that the tranny tries to shift before the sensor trips the circuit. The sensor does in fact work, and FTECU claims it tested correctly. The FTECU sensor comes from the same OEM manufacturer as does the Dynojet sensor. They are supposed to be the very same unit with different labels.

I thought perhaps since I didn't have a strain gauge, I'd try to kind of "feel" the required pressure to trip the gauge on my GSXR with Bazzaz ZFI-TC-QS, however the Bazzaz sensor has 3 wires and I have not yet figured out how to "test" the output with an Ohm meter. No matter which 2 of 3 wires I test with the Ohm meter, I'm getting similar resistance whether the shifter is engaged or not. There is little (no) technical data on the Bazzaz site.

Does anyone have any idea how to properly test a Bazzaz QS sensor? Or, for that matter any recommendations on the root cause of the issue with the R6?

tad158

Astronomer not Astrologer
I use a Bazzaz sensor with my F-T setup....The Bazzaz sensor is a powered hall effect (unless you have one of the new ones)...you need to give it 12v, ground and the signal comes out on the third/middle wire....

tdelegram

Control Rider
I had to replace my old style bazazz on my street rc8 as it took too much pressure like you explained above. When I spoke to them it sounded like a common failure and the reason they redisigned. The new ones are solid state and electronically adjusted for pressure.

Myers

Control Rider
First determine if you need a N.O. or N.C. sensor (normally open or normally closed). Once you determine that if you hook everything up.. just turn the key on and select "monitor" on the Y.E.C. computer interface. At that point, under Y.E.C. platform select the trip ohms to be < what you read during monitor. ... Say... during monitor when simulating the shift the "monitor" readys +5 ohms . Adjust the trip ohs to trigger at 1/2 of what it read during monitoring.

again - this is with using Y.E.C. interface platform... hope maybe this may help some.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Thanks, but this is an older ('05) YEC, which does not have integrated QS support. The next generation did. So in this case, the QS is connected via the PCV. But that's not really the issue anyway. The actual sensor is an open/close sensor - not really a strain sensor. So it's not that it reads 2,3 or 5 ohms when it triggers. It's that it either triggers - or it does not. Specifically, the issue is that while testing the output on a good Fluke, it takes more pressure than expected on the shift lever to get the sensor to respond - regardless of whatever it's connected to.

I was trying to figure out the Bazzaz sensor output only to compare (roughly) what the required pressure on the lever to "trip" the sensor was. Being an idiot, I forgot that the Bazzaz actually lights up when it triggers, so pulling it apart to look at output was not really necessary.

Since then, I re-indexed the shift arm on the tranny to get even slightly closer to a 90 degree connection. It "feels" like it's working better. You really can't test actual function unless you're under load, and right now it looks like this outside....

Jan82017outside.jpeg

physicistkev

Control Rider
I went with an Annitori RL quick shifter a few years ago. Independant from my PC V. It inserts between the spark plug leads and the plugs, so it doesn't interrupt fuel, it interrupts spark. It uses a strain gauge to sense pressure and works very well. I have had no problems with it and the setup was simple. I didn't have to adjust the sensitivity. I literally installed it and went on my way.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
Thanks guys! I think given that this is my "rain" or "spare" bike, my plan is to take the R6 to Jennings - hoping that after these adjustments the QS pressure is now activating. If it doesn't, I'm probably going to play with it a little more, but not put any more money into it. The bike is an '05 and really only gets ridden if it rains, or if somebody else needs a bike for a few sessions. The GSXR works perfectly - obviously except for the rider :)

Whash

Control Rider
First determine if you need a N.O. or N.C. sensor (normally open or normally closed). Once you determine that if you hook everything up.. just turn the key on and select "monitor" on the Y.E.C. computer interface. At that point, under Y.E.C. platform select the trip ohms to be < what you read during monitor. ... Say... during monitor when simulating the shift the "monitor" readys +5 ohms . Adjust the trip ohs to trigger at 1/2 of what it read during monitoring.

again - this is with using Y.E.C. interface platform... hope maybe this may help some.

Me Myers,you lost me at hello!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myers

Control Rider
Thanks, but this is an older ('05) YEC, which does not have integrated QS support. The next generation did. So in this case, the QS is connected via the PCV. But that's not really the issue anyway. The actual sensor is an open/close sensor - not really a strain sensor. So it's not that it reads 2,3 or 5 ohms when it triggers. It's that it either triggers - or it does not. Specifically, the issue is that while testing the output on a good Fluke, it takes more pressure than expected on the shift lever to get the sensor to respond - regardless of whatever it's connected to.

I was trying to figure out the Bazzaz sensor output only to compare (roughly) what the required pressure on the lever to "trip" the sensor was. Being an idiot, I forgot that the Bazzaz actually lights up when it triggers, so pulling it apart to look at output was not really necessary.

Since then, I re-indexed the shift arm on the tranny to get even slightly closer to a 90 degree connection. It "feels" like it's working better. You really can't test actual function unless you're under load, and right now it looks like this outside....

View attachment 3990
Hate this weather! Good luck with sorting it out. I should be at jennings and am willing to help out..or just willing to drink some beers and watch Walt try to tie his shoes..

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk