Quickly wearing tires

withoutequal

I just put on a new set to Bridgestone S20s before Lightning last weekend, and it was gone by the sunday. I was getting perfect wear, (water into the tide look) and I had to flip it to run Tbolt on monday. These tires used to last 2 or 3 weekends with street rides in between! What am I doing wrong? Riding style or something? Any advice would be great.

avizpls

#11-A
what are you comparing it to? What kind of wear are you used to and with what tires? The S20 never lasted me as long as, say, my 003RS set (street and/or race versions). Now I run the Battlax slicks and still see better wear than the S20. Also, what pressures? and lastly, any pics of the wear?

withoutequal

avizpls;285593 wrote: what are you comparing it to? What kind of wear are you used to and with what tires? The S20 never lasted me as long as, say, my 003RS set (street and/or race versions). Now I run the Battlax slicks and still see better wear than the S20. Also, what pressures? and lastly, any pics of the wear?
Since I started doing track days last year, i have always ridden S20s. I used to get 3 weekends out of these tires easy, before I got past the wear bars. Pressure wise 29f 28r seems to be the sweet spot. I get 4-5 psi raise, and no hot or cold tears. Ill try and take pictures later, but It looks like regular use wear, just accelerated.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Are your lap times quicker than last year?

Have you had your suspension tweaked for sag and baseline setting by someone like Mark of Markbilt?

LOTs of variables here...not an easy answer.

withoutequal

D-Zum;285625 wrote: Are your lap times quicker than last year?

Have you had your suspension tweaked for sag and baseline setting by someone like Mark of Markbilt?

LOTs of variables here...not an easy answer.
Ya, mark has tweaked my suspension a couple of times. It was a world of difference. I was bumped to I a couple of weekends ago, and this was the second weekend I have encountered this issue. The first was at Beaver. I have become quicker, but I don't think i've improved that much, to wear out a new tire in 2 days.

Hambone

Here is what I think: you're faster.

You're more confident therefore you are braking harder and you are earlier on the throttle. Probably cornering a lot harder as well.

I'll bet money on that.

D-Zum

I'm on Dunlop slicks. I've gotten 10 days out of a set.

You may THINK you pay too much for the higher end tires, but they last longer. So your tire cost per day ends up actually being less for the more expensive tires.

When I switched from DOT's to slicks my tire budget for the first year on slicks was half of the last/previous year on DOT's.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
D-Zum;285633 wrote: I'm on Dunlop slicks. I've gotten 10 days out of a set.

You may THINK you pay too much for the higher end tires, but they last longer. So your tire cost per day ends up actually being less for the more expensive tires.

When I switched from DOT's to slicks my tire budget for the first year on slicks was half of the last/previous year on DOT's.
Running US or UK? What compound?

matt2212

D-Zum;285633 wrote: I'm on Dunlop slicks. I've gotten 10 days out of a set.

I have had similar experiences with uk front ( med 302) and a us rear

Flip the rears and get 4-6 weekends out of them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

D-Zum

Otto Man;285640 wrote: Running US or UK? What compound?
US..Medium front and Medium+ rear I believe..I have some in the garage..I can check tonight and post up exactly what I am using.

denbsteph

D-Zum;285773 wrote: US..Medium front and Medium+ rear I believe..I have some in the garage..I can check tonight and post up exactly what I am using.

I have burnt a US N-TEC rear up in 4 TD's, it was flipped on the fourth day. I'm running the same as you, med front, med rear. The front has 5 days on it, I will be interested to see what it looks like after NCBIKE next month.

I have heard I was gonna get 6-7 TD's on a rear, not real sure about that info. Now I have heard the UK's are getting better wear, but that price is a bit stiff to pay. Now looking at another Dunlop, I won't hijack the thread here but it's the NEW tire in town.

withoutequal

So at a mid I pace, what tire choice should I start looking at? I realize wearing out tires comes with the sport, but I would like to get more than 2 days.

matt2212

Quickly wearing tires

denbsteph;285783 wrote: I have burnt a US N-TEC rear up in 4 TD's, it was flipped on the fourth day. I'm running the same as you, med front, med rear. The front has 5 days on it, I will be interested to see what it looks like after NCBIKE next month.

I have heard I was gonna get 6-7 TD's on a rear, not real sure about that info. Now I have heard the UK's are getting better wear, but that price is a bit stiff to pay. Now looking at another Dunlop, I won't hijack the thread here but it's the NEW tire in town.
You cant flip a tire after 4 days and get it to last, flipping is a daily thing or maybe 2 days depending on pace.. I believe John Dunham's fast ass flips (changes rear and flips it later he has a machine at home ) after half a day to get his tires to last.

matt2212

withoutequal;285830 wrote: So at a mid I pace, what tire choice should I start looking at? I realize wearing out tires comes with the sport, but I would like to get more than 2 days.

If you don't race IMHO

uk dunlop slick front (302) med
us dunlop slick rear

andykurz

Or run the Q3s for the rest of the year, as I hear that they have a really nice rebate going! Ppl seem to like the tire as well.