Quickly wearing tires

z064life

10k miles is a LONG time on a suspension. front a rear work together. What is this "no service shock"?? No oil? Anyway, I'd service the suspension or nonone is really going to be able to tune it well for you.

withoutequal

z064life;285886 wrote: 10k miles is a LONG time on a suspension. front a rear work together. What is this "no service shock"?? No oil? Anyway, I'd service the suspension or nonone is really going to be able to tune it well for you.
I agree 10k is a long time, but I don't see evidence of a hydraulic problem on the tire. Its a stock shock, so it cant be opened.

z064life

withoutequal;285887 wrote: I agree 10k is a long time, but I don't see evidence of a hydraulic problem on the tire. Its a stock shock, so it cant be opened.
I used to get 2-3 days out of GPAs...no evidence of a hydraulic problem either. Had them serviced and then had them tuned by Chuck.....I get 5-6 days out of them now without flipping.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
You're not going to see evidence of a problem...but the oil inside gets dirty & won't flow through the internal valving properly. Your tires and suspension work in concert..if one is out of tune..then the harmony between the components suffers. Something's got to give..and tire wear will be one of the possibilities.

Hell on my GSXR600 I was chewing through rears like crazy with a Penske shock on it tuned and set up by Thermosman (Mike Fitzgerald) himself. Chased that problem for over a year. Decided finally to give an Ohins TTX a shot..from Thermosman..Had Chuck from PCW spend some time with me setting it up..and like magic the same bike that was chewing up a rear in 2 days...got 10 out of a rear with BETTER handling and better grip.

I flip my rear tire after every weekend.

withoutequal

D-Zum;285909 wrote: You're not going to see evidence of a problem...but the oil inside gets dirty & won't flow through the internal valving properly. Your tires and suspension work in concert..if one is out of tune..then the harmony between the components suffers. Something's got to give..and tire wear will be one of the possibilities.

Hell on my GSXR600 I was chewing through rears like crazy with a Penske shock on it tuned and set up by Thermosman (Mike Fitzgerald) himself. Chased that problem for over a year. Decided finally to give an Ohins TTX a shot..from Thermosman..Had Chuck from PCW spend some time with me setting it up..and like magic the same bike that was chewing up a rear in 2 days...got 10 out of a rear with BETTER handling and better grip.

I flip my rear tire after every weekend.
I plan on doing my forks over the winter, but I don't want to buy a rear shock. I feel I'm not fast enough to warrant such an upgrade. I may respring the shock. Thoughts?

denbsteph

matt2212;285843 wrote: You cant flip a tire after 4 days and get it to last, flipping is a daily thing or maybe 2 days depending on pace.. I believe John Dunham's fast ass flips (changes rear and flips it later he has a machine at home ) after half a day to get his tires to last.

The tire was not being flipped to get it to last. It was flipped because it was slightly beyond the wear dot on the right side after three days. With the Q3's on the market I'm looking to get that wear that is needed. Heard so many things about the US N-TEC's getting numerous TD's out of them and decided to try. Maybe that's the information that was not passed on, that you have to flip the tire everyday to get it to last 8 TD's :dunno:

I spoke with John Dunham about his tire method madness briefly as well.

RADAR Magnet

I just put on some US slicks and plan on flipping them fairly regularly but would like input from those that have been using them longer. Do you flip after every weekend just as a matter of practice or is it really warranted? Are there any tracks that wear the tires relatively evenly and therefore you wouldn't have to flip after that weekend?

D-Zum

withoutequal;285915 wrote: I plan on doing my forks over the winter, but I don't want to buy a rear shock. I feel I'm not fast enough to warrant such an upgrade. I may respring the shock. Thoughts?
So you're going to balance half your chassis and ignore the other half.

When you play guitar, do you only tune 3 strings and let the other 3 ruin your performance?

It's not about how fast you are or are not. If you want the money you spend on tires to be less..you're probably going to have to invest up front in getting your bike's suspension properly sorted. That way the tires don't have to work as hard and wear faster to make up for where the suspension is lacking.

matt2212

RADAR Magnet;285972 wrote: I just put on some US slicks and plan on flipping them fairly regularly but would like input from those that have been using them longer. Do you flip after every weekend just as a matter of practice or is it really warranted? Are there any tracks that wear the tires relatively evenly and therefore you wouldn't have to flip after that weekend?
I flip depending on wear, some tracks are easier on tires than others, some have more of a balance of lefts and rights than others so it's a matter of when it's needed for me

Fast guys may have a different answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

RADAR Magnet

matt2212;285995 wrote: I flip depending on wear, some tracks are easier on tires than others, some have more of a balance of lefts and rights than others so it's a matter of when it's needed for me

Fast guys may have a different answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
Meat;286020 wrote:
I also just flip base on wear.
Thanks guys. Is it easier to state which tracks are rough on tires (like Beave and Lightning mentioned earlier) or which are easier?

Meat

In the Southeast, CMP eats tires and Road Atlanta is easy on tires at my pace. Jennings is also hard on tires. But, you will quickly see which tracks are hard on tires.

withoutequal

D-Zum;285976 wrote: So you're going to balance half your chassis and ignore the other half.

When you play guitar, do you only tune 3 strings and let the other 3 ruin your performance?

It's not about how fast you are or are not. If you want the money you spend on tires to be less..you're probably going to have to invest up front in getting your bike's suspension properly sorted. That way the tires don't have to work as hard and wear faster to make up for where the suspension is lacking.
I meant a fork service, not cartridges or anything. Just oil, seals etc. That way its fresh for next season. The rear spring change would be more for weight matching, but again, it cant be serviced, since its a stock shock. I would like to ride the stock suspension as long as possible.

denbsteph

NCBIKE will eat a tire up, not time for getting a rest on any straight away's. Only one and it's not very long.

denbsteph

withoutequal;286041 wrote: I meant a fork service, not cartridges or anything. Just oil, seals etc. That way its fresh for next season. The rear spring change would be more for weight matching, but again, it cant be serviced, since its a stock shock. I would like to ride the stock suspension as long as possible.
That is my philosophy, ride the R6S as long as I can without having to put any $$ into her suspension. Chuck set the bike up before it even hit the track. Just had the forks re-done, oil and all the goodies inside. I know that day is coming when I'm gonna have to get a "new" to me bike, like a 7 fiddy with a suspension already on her. That is a big reason why I'm keeping a close eye on reviews on the Q3's. Help keep some $$ in the pocket for when that new bike day comes.............. :)

D-Zum

At 230lbs buck nekked (240+) in leathers, helmet, boots, etc..stock suspension's really not an option for me. And I'm not a fast A rider by any stretch.but even at my A Group Caboose pace I'd do bad things to rear tires which would cost me way more in tires than I care to spend.