Quickshifter and side stand?

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Thanks D-Zum; I tried a couple times and was able to do it just fine in my garage. My concern isn't so much that it's impossible to do, but that you have an interesting dilemma on your hands if for some reason your rear stand got bumped off the paddock pavement into the dirt, just out of reach, or some other hypothetical situation where the rear stand wasn't exactly where you wanted it, and what should be a trivial operation just got complicated. Just makes me sweat a little to picture myself in that situation.
It’s not a dilemma. You ask the closest person to you to please help and hand you your rear stand. I’ve done it many times.

You’re not on an island. We are all at the track having fun and more than willing to help each other out.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
I honestly just don't get the whole "anti-stand" issue. It takes all of about 2 min to pull it off the bike for racing. But it's convenient as all heck for the rest of the time. I have one bike with no stand - and can't tell you how many times I remind myself of the dumb decision to give the stand to somebody else. My other bikes have stands that come off REAL quick. Properly maintained, it ain't gonna come down unexpectedly. And I'd say we all have an opportunity to lose more than the weight of the stand if it's a performance issue :)

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Billy, Billy I wouldn't say "anti-stand" but more of a "safety issue" especially if you're riding hard, racing, etc. I only speak from my own experience and after seeing 3 people highside in front of me because of the kickstand helped make my decision to remove it. Please don't tell me your R1 still has a kickstand. :D

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
You better believe it still does! It's hard for me to see how that stand could possibly come down. I suppose if the spring is completely worn out or the stand is just loose or something, but otherwise? Pretty much all of our group has gone back to having them.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I honestly just don't get the whole "anti-stand" issue. It takes all of about 2 min to pull it off the bike for racing. But it's convenient as all heck for the rest of the time. I have one bike with no stand - and can't tell you how many times I remind myself of the dumb decision to give the stand to somebody else. My other bikes have stands that come off REAL quick. Properly maintained, it ain't gonna come down unexpectedly. And I'd say we all have an opportunity to lose more than the weight of the stand if it's a performance issue :)

For me it started when my shark skinz belly pan didn't allow for kick stand clearance. I already had Swenson paint the bodywork, and there was no way I was cutting into literally brand new paint. Up until that point, I had always just popped the stand off before taking it through WERA tech and put it back on for CR'ing. Once I started racing more and more, it became one more thing to do, two more things to do racing 2, then 3 bikes. Then I said enough of that, and never put them back on.

Menotomy

World's Okayest Racer
Control Rider
You better believe it still does! It's hard for me to see how that stand could possibly come down. I suppose if the spring is completely worn out or the stand is just loose or something, but otherwise? Pretty much all of our group has gone back to having them.
Is the sensor still intact? I think part of the reason we're talking him into the rear stand is that the sensor is removed (though I mentioned he might be able to just buy another sensor if they didn't remove the harness connector).

My SV650 has a sensor that's a plunger style where it's pressed in when the stand is up which closes the circuit. If the stand is down or removed, the circuit is open, which means my bike won't start. My choices were to jump the connector, solder the wiring, or make a connector that I could plug in, then swap it for the sensor when I put the stand in. I opted to just solder the sensor wire, the harness side is still intact in case I ever want to put a kickstand and sensor back in. My kickstand stays off though, I wasn't going to risk accidentally leaving it down then crashing during pitout because I'm not running any sensor, or forgot to re-connect the sensor. After getting used to the stand I haven't really looked back. Except at NYST. Never, EVER pit alone there unless you're next to a group of people.

D-Zum

For me it started when my shark skinz belly pan didn't allow for kick stand clearance. I already had Swenson paint the bodywork, and there was no way I was cutting into literally brand new paint. Up until that point, I had always just popped the stand off before taking it through WERA tech and put it back on for CR'ing. Once I started racing more and more, it became one more thing to do, two more things to do racing 2, then 3 bikes. Then I said enough of that, and never put them back on.

More than weight savings or performance gain, I think this is a significant part of why we all remove the kick/side stands on our bikes.
OEM bodywork makes room to include the need for the kick/side stand. Aftermarket bodywork does not. I'm going to speculate that part of their design on the belly pan to
not account for a side stand is the belly pan's ability to hold/regain fluid in the event of a leak. I'm not cutting my belly pan on my R1. I'm pretty sure to keep the side stand would
require me to cut a section off that has a tab that has a part in fastening the pan to the bike. That's a compromise of the ability to hold fluid and anchor the pan to the bike. Those two strikes, plus the thought of cutting into the paint job I paid for, and that's strike 3 on the side stand, and it's got to go.

Vinny's testament to side stand caused wrecks would also be a consideration to rid one's bike of that device as well.

Ron R

I bought my R1 and it was set up pretty well for track only and kick stand delete. Before the bike made it to my house I already had a stand in hand from eBay. Took a 1 1/2” sanding drum to the body and in about 5 minutes the stand was on. I don’t have any problem getting my bike up on the rear stand by myself. The main reason I installed the kick stand is at track days I find myself wanting to get off my bike at many locations that aren’t my pit. Millions of bikes are on the streets every day with kickstands. Like many things in our sport operator error can cause a problem but if I got rid of everything that could hurt me I’d be very bored. If I get good enough to race someday I’ll gladly pull my stand for race day and then probably drop my bike in the pit forgetting it’s not there lol.

wmhjr

Grandpa
Control Rider
More than weight savings or performance gain, I think this is a significant part of why we all remove the kick/side stands on our bikes.
OEM bodywork makes room to include the need for the kick/side stand. Aftermarket bodywork does not. I'm going to speculate that part of their design on the belly pan to
not account for a side stand is the belly pan's ability to hold/regain fluid in the event of a leak. I'm not cutting my belly pan on my R1. I'm pretty sure to keep the side stand would
require me to cut a section off that has a tab that has a part in fastening the pan to the bike. That's a compromise of the ability to hold fluid and anchor the pan to the bike. Those two strikes, plus the thought of cutting into the paint job I paid for, and that's strike 3 on the side stand, and it's got to go.

Vinny's testament to side stand caused wrecks would also be a consideration to rid one's bike of that device as well.

No disrespect, but I disagree with the above. Aftermarket (race) bodywork does not include cutouts for the kick stand for a simple and obvious reason. Racing organizations disallow them. And it's very easy to remove material to include them, but realistically impossible to add material back for those that don't want the cutouts. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to hold fluids. As a matter of pure fact, the depth of the cutout for the stand relief on two of my bikes that still have stands (one does not), it is STILL "taller" in that area after having material cutout, than in other areas of the belly pan - INCLUDING the very back. Further, you really don't need to cut much out, and it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the fastening locations - at least on any bike I've ever seen. Motoamerica requires the pan to be at least 70mm tall. That's only 2 3/4". Still passes with flying colors.

Two more points. OEM manufacturers deal with millions of bikes and millions of riders, and have to deal with NHTSA and other governing bodies. How many accidents on the road have been caused by kickstands improperly coming down? It's not even a measurable statistic. 60mph is just as dangerous as 150mph on public roads. The roads are bumpier, with pot holes, etc. Still not an issue. Believe me, if it really were a safety issue, there would be a "lock" preventing it from coming down just to protect manufacturers from litigation. There isn't.

I bought my first brand new street bike (750) in 1979 when I got my motorcycle license. Been riding ever since. I've never, ever seen a side stand come down during riding other than on a real POS that wasn't maintained and was missing the spring or something. Even my KTM dirt bike has a side stand, and it doesn't come down either by accident. When you're going through terrain as bumpy and aggressive on your track/race bike as I am on the KTM, the side stand is the least or your worries - you're already screwed :)

The bottom line here is that it's really a personal decision, based on interpretation of your own needs and concerns, but NOT a safety issue. I personally find this more of the same thing that causes us all to spend a gazillion dollars on high end race equipment (I'm not immune to that) and then sheepishly watch as YCRS coaches like EZ and Kyle come past us on bone stock FZ's.

BTW: I'm a bit fussy about my bike. I trimmed my belly pan on the R1 right after getting it from Swenson. You would never be able to tell I did it and it wasn't that way to begin with if you didn't have another R1 with Sharkskinz sitting right next to it. Do it right and seal it, and it looks factory.

Ron R

C1E1BE78-9B6E-4BE5-A1F2-552F61E47287.jpeg
How big a hole are we talking? It looks like it might be sizable. Do you have any pictures of the finished result?

As you can see and bill pointed out the relief is still higher than the back of the belly pan. I’m sure my bike is older than most were talking about but that gives you an idea.

D-Zum

No disrespect, but I disagree with the above. Aftermarket (race) bodywork does not include cutouts for the kick stand for a simple and obvious reason. Racing organizations disallow them. And it's very easy to remove material to include them, but realistically impossible to add material back for those that don't want the cutouts. It has absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the ability to hold fluids. As a matter of pure fact, the depth of the cutout for the stand relief on two of my bikes that still have stands (one does not), it is STILL "taller" in that area after having material cutout, than in other areas of the belly pan - INCLUDING the very back. Further, you really don't need to cut much out, and it has absolutely nothing to do with any of the fastening locations - at least on any bike I've ever seen. Motoamerica requires the pan to be at least 70mm tall. That's only 2 3/4". Still passes with flying colors.

Two more points. OEM manufacturers deal with millions of bikes and millions of riders, and have to deal with NHTSA and other governing bodies. How many accidents on the road have been caused by kickstands improperly coming down? It's not even a measurable statistic. 60mph is just as dangerous as 150mph on public roads. The roads are bumpier, with pot holes, etc. Still not an issue. Believe me, if it really were a safety issue, there would be a "lock" preventing it from coming down just to protect manufacturers from litigation. There isn't.

I bought my first brand new street bike (750) in 1979 when I got my motorcycle license. Been riding ever since. I've never, ever seen a side stand come down during riding other than on a real POS that wasn't maintained and was missing the spring or something. Even my KTM dirt bike has a side stand, and it doesn't come down either by accident. When you're going through terrain as bumpy and aggressive on your track/race bike as I am on the KTM, the side stand is the least or your worries - you're already screwed :)

The bottom line here is that it's really a personal decision, based on interpretation of your own needs and concerns, but NOT a safety issue. I personally find this more of the same thing that causes us all to spend a gazillion dollars on high end race equipment (I'm not immune to that) and then sheepishly watch as YCRS coaches like EZ and Kyle come past us on bone stock FZ's.

BTW: I'm a bit fussy about my bike. I trimmed my belly pan on the R1 right after getting it from Swenson. You would never be able to tell I did it and it wasn't that way to begin with if you didn't have another R1 with Sharkskinz sitting right next to it. Do it right and seal it, and it looks factory.

Listen Bill....let me just be clear here.....

I didn't feel offended, disrepected or anything else by this post, and I'll be damned if you'll get me to feel any other way about it. :p

you make valid points. I've not read WERA or CCS rule books so I wasn't aware that side stands were not allowed.

Greg ZX6R

I've had a kickstand on both the ZX9 and the ZX6 on every track day since 2008, without issue, and neither bike would go into gear with the stand down. I've only had issue with one organization, and they allowed me to zip tie the stand while in the "up" position; maybe that's a good test for a day to see if you actually want to remove it for future events. If I was racing, I'd remove it, but this isn't racing. The Armour Bodies for my 2015 ZX10 has a cutout that allows the kickstand and I'm leaving it on as well.

mpusch

Micah
Towards the end of this year at Pitt I saw someone heading out of the garage with their stand still down. I sprinted out and stopped him before he had any issues. Although he did end up crashing that session anyways...

I took off my stand last year when I started with WERA, and I've never gone back.

Guess I'm not really adding anything to the conversation, but hey! Whatever :p